Hi everyone

I need anyone's help, please.

I've taken my 16 Silverado 5.3 into the dealers twice. The sound is a tick similar to a sewing machine.The sound is coming through the firewall near the foot pedals. It makes the ticking while driving in the city and on the freeway. I can be cruising perfectly and hit a bump and the ticking is triggered. The ticking increases in speed with even a slight acceleration. I'm thinking it's coming beneath the engine or under the driver side.

The first time in to the dealership they replaced the pressure pump but didn't do anything. Today they replaced a fuel line that seemed to make the ticking more often and louder.

I drove around with the service tech and we both heard the same noise and he said that his exact truck that he was using was making the same noise and it was normal. However, I test drove two Silverado yesterday. A new 17 and 16 with 11k miles. The 17 was silent but the 16 had the same tick but very faint and nothing compared to the noise on mine.

I plugged in a Range thinking it had to do with the AFM but didn't make a difference in the ticking.

I'm a novice when it comes to trucks so I'm in desperate need of help finding a fix. I'm really considering getting rid of the truck. I really don't know what else do it. I really wish there was a fix that didn't involve an exhaust or having the radio super loud at all times.

Hi everyone

I've taken my 16 Silverado 5.3 into the dealers twice. The sound is a tick similar to a sewing machine.The sound is coming through the firewall near the foot pedals. It makes the ticking while driving in the city and on the freeway. I can be cruising perfectly and hit a bump and the ticking is triggered. The ticking increases in speed with even a slight acceleration. I'm thinking it's coming beneath the engine or under the driver side.

The first time in to the dealership they replaced the pressure pump but didn't do anything. Today they replaced a fuel line that seemed to make the ticking more often and louder.

I drove around with the service tech and we both heard the same noise and he said that his exact truck that he was using was making the same noise and it was normal. However, I test drove two Silverado yesterday. A new 17 and 16 with 11k miles. The 17 was silent but the 16 had the same tick but very faint and nothing compared to the noise on mine.

I plugged in a Range thinking it had to do with the AFM but didn't make a difference in the ticking.

I'm a novice when it comes to trucks so I'm in desperate need of help finding a fix. I'm really considering getting rid of the truck. I really don't know what else do it. I really wish there was a fix that didn't involve an exhaust or having the radio super loud at all times.

The only 2 things that can make that sound and noise are fuel related. First being the injectors they are alot louder now then in past years, but I think your issue is from this the other possibility....the fuel return line check valve.

It is at the back of the engine and runs against the engine bay / cab wall middle of instrument panel.

It is known to be loud while ticking away at engine rpm. This could be removed and insulated to reduce this unpleasant noise.

Take care and good luck!

• 3 years later...
On 5/24/2017 at 12:21 AM, Dmendoza said:

Hi everyone

Any update since last posting? I’m having a similar issue. 

Edited by Nick West

• 1 year later...