Problems after lifting truck

After lifting my truck I've noticed I get a clunking sound coming from the rear end when I come in and out of my driveway and when I hit speed bumps. Im not sure what it is because I've checked to make sure everything is tight (ubolts, and shocks) I used a deaver j1 mini pack in the rear and got 4" of lift from it and I put in King shocks

Another weird this I've noticed is when I come to a stop it feels like the truck rocks forward and back a couple of times.

If anyone has had these issues after lifting their truck please let me know.

Wonder if it's your axle sliding in and out of the rear differential. I know there is a term for it. I don't know what it's called. But my friends truck did it.

Edit: but he had a 7" lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Waaazooo

Wonder if it's your axle sliding in and out of the rear differential. I know there is a term for it. I don't know what it's called. But my friends truck did it.

Edit: but he had a 7" lift

Not gonna lie that's not an answer I was expecting. Why would lifting the truck do that to the axles

Not gonna lie that's not an answer I was expecting. Why would lifting the truck do that to the axles

The axle is made to slide in and out of the rear differential, with torque it can slap inward is how it's explained to me. Like I said... he has a much larger lift so it's not likely the same issue.

Axle or drive shaft? Axle should not be able to slide in and out.

On a semi-float, there is end play on the axles since they are held in place with a c-clip in the differential. On a full-float, the hub and wheel bearings holds the axle in place and limits end play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On a semi-float, there is end play on the axles since they are held in place with a c-clip in the differential. On a full-float, the hub and wheel bearings holds the axle in place and limits end play.

That's doesn't sound like it would be the issue then, I did nothing with the axles other then swap wheels and tires.

I think there's some confusion here. Axles don't move in and out by design.

The driveshaft has to move in and out of the transmission/transfer case on a "slip yoke" as the rear axle assembly moves up and down relative to the chassis. A slip yoke slides over the splined output shaft of the transmission/transfer case and the outside diameter acts as a bearing and seal surface. The other end of the slip yoke has a fork for a universal joint that attaches to the driveshaft. Lifting a truck puts a steeper angle on the driveshaft. This puts more angular (bending) load on the universal joints and slip yoke bearing/splines. The angular load inhibits the fore and aft sliding the yoke is supposed to do. As the driveshaft turns, the u-joint loads and unloads this angular load, due to the geometry of a u-joint. When it is in a rotational position that inhibits the sliding and you move the rear axle assembly up or down (like backing out of a driveway), the slip yoke binds and can't slide in or out easily, then the driveshaft rotates slightly and unloads the yoke and it slips fore or aft, as it should, and you hear a clunk.

When you lift a truck, the angle of the driveshaft to the axle pinion shaft yoke and to the output shaft of the transmission/transfer case, gets steeper. A good lift kit will include shimming to rotate the rear axle where the pinion shaft is angled more upward, which reduces the relative angle of the driveshaft to the pinion shaft. However, the transmission/transfer case output shaft is often still steeper than the optimum operating angles when a truck is lifted, especially on big lifts. These extreme cases can be corrected with a 2 piece driveshaft with an extra u-joint in the middle.

On your 4" lift, simply lubing the inside of the splines may make the clunk go away for a while. It's a repetitive service item, even on a stock truck. Lifted trucks may need it more often.

Search the net on lifted truck driveshaft angles.

driveshaft%20yoke_zpsyiljbv7u.jpg

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 3

The axle shafts on a semi-float axle move in and out by design...rock a 1500 truck side to side and they will clunk as the axles move. Try that with a 2500/3500 and no clunk.

They almost have to move in order to install c-clips...

I've been in enough of them to know...rebuilt a few in my day.

Edited by sdeeter19555

Which King Shocks?

Sounds like your sound issue is suspension reaching end of travel going down and your shocks piston is making the sound. (very little suspension travel).

Take off your shocks and back down the driveway.

Edited by Paintor

The axle shafts on a semi-float axle move in and out by design...rock a 1500 truck side to side and they will clunk as the axles move. Try that with a 2500/3500 and no clunk.

They almost have to move in order to install c-clips...

I've been in enough of them to know...rebuilt a few in my day.

The ones I have set up in my drag racing days you had to remove the spider gears pin to move them enough to remove c clips?

The ones I have set up in my drag racing days you had to remove the spider gears pin to move them enough to remove c clips?

Yeah, cross pin and spiders, push the axles in, pull the clips, side gears, and remove the axles shafts from the housing.

But there is still "play" between the end of the axle shaft and the crosspin. We aren't talking a whole lot, but that little bit of wiggle creates a lot of clunking side to side.