New 8 speed software update?

Had the update performed today.

The good: The 2-1 harsh downshift is gone. Also, I didn't even know how bad the upshifting was until the update...its now buttery smooth all the way up to 8...except for.....

The bad: 1-2 is worse. Not bad, but just worse than before.

The ugly: On the way to the dealer, started noticing a random shudder under acceleration. Didn't mention it, but after the post service test drive, the tech told me the torque converter was going bad and it will need to be replaced and the transmission flushed and refilled. Ugh. Not good for a truck with only 20k miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Just dropped my truck off for the AC condenser redesign replacement this morning. I asked them about the tranny software update and the service manager said I'm the 2nd person to ask about it. I handed him a piece of paper with the number. He couldn't find any info about it from GM but said he'd look into it more.

Update: He called me back 30 minutes after I dropped my truck off and said he found the bulletin and it applies to my truck. My recommendation is to bring the number in w/you and ask them to look into it more. Although I'm not happy with the quality of my truck (5th time bringing it in for the AC, 2016, only 2820 miles), the customer service at the dealer is good.

Just dropped my truck off for the AC condenser redesign replacement this morning. I asked them about the tranny software update and the service manager said I'm the 2nd person to ask about it. I handed him a piece of paper with the number. He couldn't find any info about it from GM but said he'd look into it more.

Update: He called me back 30 minutes after I dropped my truck off and said he found the bulletin and it applies to my truck. My recommendation is to bring the number in w/you and ask them to look into it more. Although I'm not happy with the quality of my truck (5th time bringing it in for the AC, 2016, only 2820 miles), the customer service at the dealer is good.

What is the recall for on the A/C ?

Edited by NathanFugett

What is the recall for on the A/C ?

Take a look at this thread... http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/200888-ac-condenser/

If your AC condenser hasn't failed yet, it will. The 2014-2017 condenser has a faulty design in about 500K GM vehicles (trucks and SUVs). GM refuses to issue a recall. Luckily my truck is still under warranty but many outside of their warranty paid out of pocket. GM is reimbursing some money but not the full amount to those who paid for the replacement. My truck had the condenser replaced on the 3rd visit. It broke a week later. They replaced it with the same faulty designed one which is why it broke again.

GM has redesigned the condenser to fix the issue. With so many vehicles being affected, the redesigned part has been on backorder. Many have been waiting up to 4 months for the part to come in. GM is taking the redesigned part and replacing the 2017 models first before giving them out to ones that have already failed. Hopefully the redesigned one 'really works' this time.

Note: I filed a lemon law ticket with my state but they declined it. After 4 repair attempts, I was sick of having no AC. Will never buy a GM again.

Edited by jonesumd

• 4 weeks later...

Does TSB 16-NA-019 correct the decel harsh 1-2 downshift like the -411 tsb in a 2017 6.2 8 My service guy mentioned that one have not taken truck in yet Or is wrong for my truck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Same issues on the 2017 gmc sierra i have. (thought they took care of the bugs) Shifts like a farm tractor from 1st to second if you let up on the pedal. took the truck in to have it checked .( Listen to this one). Sir we cant find anything wrong with the shifting, but you have to remember you have an adaptive transmission so when your driving just keep foot on the gas during the shifting. WTF these guys are a joke. second time i take it in service advisor sends me on a ride with an software Tech. All he does is software programing for gm. Soon as he gets in the passenger seat he looks at me and says ****ing gm transmissions all Junk we get 8 or 10 a week with same problems. he described the symptoms to me without me even saying anything. the 15/16 s needed the fluid flushed 2 times and filled with mobile 1 HP fluid to work. He said don`t say anything to the service Advisor but gm used the wrong Transmission fluid that`s why the transmissions  were  failing. he said hes done dozens having to double flush and fill. now these in 2017 he said its a software issue . he advised me don`t even bother bringing it in they will only have me tear it apart and or change it completely but it will be the same shit. said they have tech meetings because there hands are tied. Gm has`nt released i software program to correct shift patterns yet. but its coming soon as they have some customers with escalade`s and 100 k trucks all tripping out on these transmissions. LOL He was telling all this after we got back to the dealer parking lot. The service advisor came to the vehicle when he saw the Tech talking with me. He said to me see iam sure he told you its normal nothing wrong with it. Poor guy the Tech was so straight forward with me as i`am a small engine Tech as well that he looked at me like see our hands are tied. Friggin service advisors are all told to tell customers nothing wrong with the transmissions its normal. Tech told me between one mechanic to another don`t say anything to the service advisor but there told to tell the customers same crap. He advised me to stick it out there is a fix down the pipe coming for the shifting patterns. said its not a mechanical issue with these units. See i value the opinion of the front line techs that have to deal with this crap and cant  fix anything because gm wont release a fix for the software programming. that`s were the honestly is not in the sales reps or the service advisors there there to keep you coming in for shit. I put my mind at ease knowing that this poor working joe has the best answer for this issue. would trust him over all of the service and sales reps in the dealership.

Edited by benelli

4 hours ago, benelli said:

Hi everyone. Same issues on the 2017 gmc sierra i have. (thought they took care of the bugs) Shifts like a farm tractor from 1st to second if you let up on the pedal. took the truck in to have it checked .( Listen to this one). Sir we cant find anything wrong with the shifting, but you have to remember you have an adaptive transmission so when your driving just keep foot on the gas during the shifting. WTF these guys are a joke. second time i take it in service advisor sends me on a ride with an software Tech. All he does is software programing for gm. Soon as he gets in the passenger seat he looks at me and says ****ing gm transmissions all Junk we get 8 or 10 a week with same problems. he described the symptoms to me without me even saying anything. the 15/16 s needed the fluid flushed 2 times and filled with mobile 1 HP fluid to work. He said don`t say anything to the service Advisor but gm used the wrong Transmission fluid that`s why the transmissions  were  failing. he said hes done dozens having to double flush and fill. now these in 2017 he said its a software issue . he advised me don`t even bother bringing it in they will only have me tear it apart and or change it completely but it will be the same shit. said they have tech meetings because there hands are tied. Gm has`nt released i software program to correct shift patterns yet. but its coming soon as they have some customers with escalade`s and 100 k trucks all tripping out on these transmissions. LOL He was telling all this after we got back to the dealer parking lot. The service advisor came to the vehicle when he saw the Tech talking with me. He said to me see iam sure he told you its normal nothing wrong with it. Poor guy the Tech was so straight forward with me as i`am a small engine Tech as well that he looked at me like see our hands are tied. Friggin service advisors are all told to tell customers nothing wrong with the transmissions its normal. Tech told me between one mechanic to another don`t say anything to the service advisor but there told to tell the customers same crap. He advised me to stick it out there is a fix down the pipe coming for the shifting patterns. said its not a mechanical issue with these units. See i value the opinion of the front line techs that have to deal with this crap and cant  fix anything because gm wont release a fix for the software programming. that`s were the honestly is not in the sales reps or the service advisors there there to keep you coming in for shit. I put my mind at ease knowing that this poor working joe has the best answer for this issue. would trust him over all of the service and sales reps in the dealership.

Thanks for the info...but you didn't tell what is the "best answer for this issue" on 2017 models?

If you read the post . The Tech basically told me we have to wait for gm to release a software program to correct the issue . So NO there is no fix as of yet . Unless you want to install a Tune by superchips which I here works w

1 hour ago, jhbrennan said:

Thanks for the info...but you didn't tell what is the "best answer for this issue" on 2017 models

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, NomadicCPO said:

Had the update performed today.

The good: The 2-1 harsh downshift is gone. Also, I didn't even know how bad the upshifting was until the update...its now buttery smooth all the way up to 8...except for.....

The bad: 1-2 is worse. Not bad, but just worse than before.

The ugly: On the way to the dealer, started noticing a random shudder under acceleration. Didn't mention it, but after the post service test drive, the tech told me the torque converter was going bad and it will need to be replaced and the transmission flushed and refilled. Ugh. Not good for a truck with only 20k miles.

This is where I'm at.  Got the TCM upgrade and that appears to help the searching of gears but have the shudder under acceleration.  The tach jumps about 200 rpm and you can really feel it in the steering wheel.  Dealer said he felt vibration on test drive but blamed my tires and 1" lift. I asked why would the tach flutter then and he didn't have an answer. Will be bringing truck back in.  Was your tranny fluid dark? I haven't checked mine yet.

Mine is in for the torque converter fluid flush and change as we speak.  I had the software reprogram completed last week which seemed to help a bit on the upshift/downshift issue.

Anxious to get it back and see if the shudder/vibration is gone.  The dealership already has told me that if the fluid flush doesn't fix it, I'm to stay in the loaner another couple days and they will replace the TC.  I should know something more by lunchtime today.

2 converters and 3 flushes later and shutter is still very much present. Worse when towing. 1 st gear is great but starts when shifts to second.  Still working with tech and GMC for repair. I think they have a problem that might be hard to correct. 6.2 Max tow. 

Edited by Bigmac

• 1 year later...

Hello, I just want to give everyone an update to this topic. I was battling with my deal for a couple years to get this issue resolved. It was the same answer over and over, "we are waiting for GM to come out this a solve for the issue, yadda yadda."  Well about a month ago, I received a call stating there was a bulletin out for the issue and to bring my truck in. They told me there is a new transmission fluid out to make the torque converter run smoother and they were going to have to flush the tranny and reflash the computer with an update. I'm happy to say that for over two or three months and a couple oil changes, I have not experienced any shutter what do ever.