GM Private Offer

Received a personalized "Exclusive Private Offer" notice with an authorization number & pin from GM last month.

It states in part " Negotiate your best price with the dealer and top it with this offer" which amounts to $4000 on a 2017 Silverado.

Wasn't really in the market but the offer enticed me into the dealership where I decided to purchase a truck. Negotiated a deal including trade in value and received the total vehicle cost at which time I presented the salesman with the private offer flyer. The salesman stated that I couldn't use the private offer in conjunction with the price we had negotiated, either do the deal as is or use the offer but not stacked together.

I declined the sale and today contacted GM customer service where I lodged a complaint. The representative stated that she has received numerous complaints regarding the flyer and would log my information and forward a report up the ladder.

I'm going to wait a few days to see if I receive a reply from GM but it appears to me to be a bait & switch tactic and I am therefore considering filing a complaint with the state AG office.

• Like 1

Just one of numerous ways to get you into the dealership, nothing really more to it than that. Plus all dealerships are privately owned so it would be up to the sales manager or even owner to accept the offer. I would just throw it away and move on. You're putting too much effort in my opinion, but do what you want to do.

• Like 2

I think it's good to lodge the complaint. Then they will either honor it in the future, they will get on a shit list for dealers from GM and pull the dealership if it's bad enough. GM will stop sending out those things if they realize it's just pissing off current GM owners and they have no intention of making their dealers honor them. I'd file the complaint with the AG too. It doesn't take a lot of time and the only thing that keeps these places from having every available toy to screw with people is for people to hold them accountable.

• Like 1

"

In it's entirety would be better.

"Negotiate your best price with the dealer and top it with this offer. Can be transferred to other individuals in household.

Bring Authorization Number and PIN to your Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac dealer and take delivery by August 31, 2017."

"

"Negotiate your best price with the dealer and top it with this offer. Can be transferred to other individuals in household.

Bring Authorization Number and PIN to your Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac dealer and take delivery by August 31, 2017."

The fact that you can transfer it to someone else tells me it's just a way to get you into the dealership.

The fact that you can transfer it to someone else tells me it's just a way to get you into the dealership.

Within a household, yes...not like you can hand it to some stranger on the street.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I absolutely hate gimmicks...to the point where if I feel a salesman is trying to play me I'll stop everything and walk away. There are plenty of good dealers out there that won't play games...I'm not gonna waste my time or money on somebody looking to make an extra dollar off me when I'm spending a fortune to begin with. I would have been PISSED if they didn't wanna honor that card and it was a ploy to get me in there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I received a private offer for 4k yesterday as well. Seems to be exactly the same as you all have. I contacted the salesman we use at our dealership of choice because with the baby coming in January I have been researching a new crew cab. The MSRP for the truck is $50,900 and the listed price is $40,655. He told me with the incentives offered on "this particular vehicle" that the 4k could not be added toward the truck. I looked at the rest of their inventory and most all the trucks had the same percentage off. I must be missing something because there are no fine print incentives listed on their website from GM. I looked up incentives on GM's website for my area code and the only one listed is $500 cash allowance or 0% for 60 months.

So, from what I'm gathering the dealer is the one offering the price off MSRP and they won't accept the 4k off. Total BS...

Again, it's a way to get you in the door, nothing more rather you want to believe me or not. I can't be 100 sure, but I'll bet all of those offers have the same # and pin no matter who it goes to. If they're not all the same then it's just random #s that mean nothing to make it look "authentic" and real. Dealerships and car manufacturers will do a lot to get you in the door or at least on the lot. But what do I know, I used to work at the same one I bought my '14 as a salesman. I wasn't very good since I didn't want to screw someone over just for my own benefit and if someone wanted something specific but couldn't afford it then I wouldn't even try to talk them into something else since I wouldn't want someone to do that to me since I'm picky.

I received a private offer for 4k yesterday as well. Seems to be exactly the same as you all have. I contacted the salesman we use at our dealership of choice because with the baby coming in January I have been researching a new crew cab. The MSRP for the truck is $50,900 and the listed price is $40,655. He told me with the incentives offered on "this particular vehicle" that the 4k could not be added toward the truck. I looked at the rest of their inventory and most all the trucks had the same percentage off. I must be missing something because there are no fine print incentives listed on their website from GM. I looked up incentives on GM's website for my area code and the only one listed is $500 cash allowance or 0% for 60 months.

So, from what I'm gathering the dealer is the one offering the price off MSRP and they won't accept the 4k off. Total BS...

The date I was at the dealer the only incentive advertised for the double cab was 0% for 60 months. There were others for different vehicles but I didn't pay much attention as I was interested only in the double cab.

The date I was at the dealer the only incentive advertised for the double cab was 0% for 60 months. There were others for different vehicles but I didn't pay much attention as I was interested only in the double cab.

I calculated the percentage off sticker and it is 20% which GM has offered in the past, but that incentive is not listed for my area and the dealer's website does not specify anywhere this deduction.

Again, it's a way to get you in the door, nothing more rather you want to believe me or not. I can't be 100 sure, but I'll bet all of those offers have the same # and pin no matter who it goes to. If they're not all the same then it's just random #s that mean nothing to make it look "authentic" and real. Dealerships and car manufacturers will do a lot to get you in the door or at least on the lot. But what do I know, I used to work at the same one I bought my '14 as a salesman. I wasn't very good since I didn't want to screw someone over just for my own benefit and if someone wanted something specific but couldn't afford it then I wouldn't even try to talk them into something else since I wouldn't want someone to do that to me since I'm picky.

I appreciate your input however this isn't my first rodeo. While I don't recall how they were titled or the specific amounts I have previously received similar notifications in 2003, 2005 and 2011. I am able to recall the years as the offers were significant to the point that I purchased a new truck in each of those years. Granted GM was struggling in 03 & 05 and I'm not sure about 11 but deals were agreed upon and the additional money from GM was deducted without issue. Again I don't have the figures but between the trade value of the 03 and the discounts and incentives offered on the 05 it would have been foolish on my part not to make that deal. The first two trucks were purchased from a small family owned dealership that was forced to close around 2008 or 2009 when GM decided to downsize.