Power Steps Fail To Extend

The dealer told me to take a picture next time it happened to prove that the probem was really occurring. It happened again, but it was at night and the pic didn't come out well in the darkness.

FWIW: Since it was nightime, I did notice that the interior lights also failed to turn on when the door was opened. I do believe that this indicts the door-open sensors.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:33 AM, crushNchowda said:

Someone explain how a power step or push button elevates the driving experience or makes owning the vehicle any more enjoyable or easier?

Sure no problem

Power step purpose = Running boards are bad because they reduce ground clearance. Running boards are good for egress and ingress. Power running boards have the good without the bad.

Push button start purpose = incase you haven’t figured it out, nobody actually gives a shit about pushing a button to start it as if it’s just neat and different way to start a vehicle. It’s real purpose is for keyless driving. You don’t need your keys to enter the vehicle or start the vehicle. It is convenient, especially when you have your hands full.

9 minutes ago, SandyNeck said:

The dealer told me to take a picture next time it happened to prove that the probem was really occurring. It happened again, but it was at night and the pic didn't come out well in the darkness.

FWIW: Since it was nightime, I did notice that the interior lights also failed to turn on when the door was opened. I do believe that this indicts the door-open sensors.

Oh definitely a door sensor. That should be a relief

• 4 weeks later...

This sounds like a similar problem that i am having on a 2017 Denali Ultimate. I have not caught the step Not extending when opening the door but I have noticed several times when the door is closed it does not fold in until you put the truck in gear and start driving away then you hear it fold in. Figured it was just a sensor of some kind. I assume the system has a fail-safe that forces the board to fold in once the truck is in gear and starts moving.  I had it on the list for the dealer to check during yesterdays oil change visit but they closed early due to inclement weather and were not able to check it out. I was wondering if anyone else had these issues and got it corrected. I would like to nudge the service department in the correct direction, sometimes they as mentioned earlier in the thread get the blank stare on an intermittent problem that is not easy to replicate.   I will try to remember to examine the status of the interior lights when this occurs that is a great tip. 

Edited by Dnt
added that the interior light status needs to be checked when problem occurs

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2017 at 6:41 PM, seamus2154 said:

I had a door sensor on the right replaced to correct this 8 mnths ago. Now the driver side intermittently stays down or doesnt extend. It's probably a dirty or bad sensor. I traded to a new Denali today with fixed running boards and have no regrets. If a two year old truck is having issues I figure it will be an ongoing future issue. I really like them though, very cool and people always comment, but got a great deal today and went with it.

Do you know where the sensor is located and part number im having the same issues??

Hey... I have a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali as well, and have been having the same issues with the retractable running boards. I was told at the dealer that the hinges on the running boards get corroded over time and cause the boards to malfunction. Much like a lot of other fixes by the dealer, it’s a fairly expensive repair. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2017 at 1:35 AM, SandyNeck said:

Hey Guys,

I have a 2017 Sierra Denali with the GM power assist steps. For the very most part, they work well and I like them. However, very occasionally (about once a month), I'll open the driver's side door and the step will fail to extend. If I close the door and re-open it, the steps seem to return to normal operation. I'm not actuating the center stack switch prior to this occurring.

Sometimes it can be a little dangerous, in that I'll open the door and just assume that the step will be there, but it isn't. I reported this problem to my dealer, but he couldn't find anything wrong. Not surprising, since it's happening so intermittently. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks for any input that can be offered.

This is James Murphy from North Carolina and I am experiencing the identical problem with my 2019 Sierra Denali. The first time it happened my foot was just about caught between the running board and the truck as it was retracting. This is a very dangerous situation but  I was told this was a out of pocket ($700 to $800.00 problem because I purchased the Gold warranty package instead of the Platinum package. Very disappointed in GMC.