2016 Silverado, dash cam, and power options?

Wanted to know if the 12volt plug under the dash powers off after a while..?

The dash cam I ordered off Amazon ( A119S Version 2) plugs into the 12v "cigarette lighter" plug under the dash for power.

Was going to run the power wire under the dash up the passenger side panel and behind the rear view mirror, hopefully the camera comes with a long enough power wire.

Wanted to know if the 12volt plug under the dash powers off after a while..?

From the 2016 manual pdf:

Accessory Power Outlets (APOs)

The vehicle may have APOs in several locations. See Power Outlets → 125.

The APOs in the console or center seat position are powered by RAP.

They will continue to work for up to 10 minutes after the key is turned

from ON/RUN to LOCK/OFF, or until the driver door is opened.

The APOs on the center stack come from the factory powered directly

from the vehicle battery, and supply accessory power at all times,

regardless of ignition key position. If electronic items are left plugged

into these APOs for long periods of time with the vehicle off, the vehicle

battery could be drained. The vehicle may not start if the battery is

allowed to drain for an extended period of time.

The outlets below the radio / AC should be always-on. I believe you can change this behavior by moving a fuse in the fusebox behind the driver door. In the photo below, if you take the 50A fuse and move it "up" one step so that it covers where this wire comes out (this wire is not factory, it was added as a mod so will not be there in your truck), it will switch the center stack outlets to RAP (Retained Accessory Power), which will turn off after you shut off the truck and open the driver door.

f42962f6ad1cef377e854a9f6122ed8e.jpg

Edited by bgweed
  • Like 1

The outlets below the radio / AC should be always-on. I believe you can change this behavior by moving a fuse in the fusebox behind the driver door. In the photo below, if you take the 50A fuse and move it "up" one step so that it covers where this wire comes out (this wire is not factory, it was added as a mod so will not be there in your truck), it will switch the center stack outlets to RAP (Retained Accessory Power),which will turn off after you shut off the truck and open the driver door.

Question:

By moving the 50A fuse to the port above, does that effect any other equipment in the truck?

Edited by jamoka3

By moving the 50A fuse to the port above, does that effect any other equipment in the truck?

My understanding is that it only affects the 12V outlets in the dash, and if you have a 110V outlet, that will not be affected.

Found this picture showing the RAP-enabled fuse configuration:

post-155272-146652685792.jpg

I just installed my A119S in my new silverado yesterday. I used a inline fuse with a spade terminal on it attached to the blade beside the 50A fuse. I bought a 10' extension 12v socket and cut the mail end off and attached the hot to the inline fuse. And used a ring terminal on the other wire and put it under one of the bolts right beside the fuse box for ground. I Ran the extension socket under the steering wheel and across to under the plastic under the glove box where. I was able to just tuck the wire all the way from my camera that is mounted behind the rearview mirror down the apillar and under the passenger side fuse cover which drops it right to where I put the additional socket.

I just installed my A119S in my new silverado yesterday. I used a inline fuse with a spade terminal on it attached to the blade beside the 50A fuse. I bought a 10' extension 12v socket and cut the mail end off and attached the hot to the inline fuse. And used a ring terminal on the other wire and put it under one of the bolts right beside the fuse box for ground. I Ran the extension socket under the steering wheel and across to under the plastic under the glove box where. I was able to just tuck the wire all the way from my camera that is mounted behind the rearview mirror down the apillar and under the passenger side fuse cover which drops it right to where I put the additional socket.

I really like that idea so I can sill have the stock 12volt outlet free if need be.

Can you send me a link for that 10' 12v socket?

Also out of the box did you have to set up your A119S or is it a plug and play setup. I just got mine from Amazon today.

• Like 1

I really like that idea so I can sill have the stock 12volt outlet free if need be.

Can you send me a link for that 10' 12v socket?

Also out of the box did you have to set up your A119S or is it a plug and play setup. I just got mine from Amazon today.

THis is the exact one I used I bought it in store as they were on sale for 7$ so i picked up a few. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autotrends-12v-extension-cord-20-ft-0374555p.html#srp

but Heres some on amazon that are the same thing Its just a 12v socket extension you should be able to get them at any part store. Also pick up a inline fuse as even though these claim to be fused leads its built into the male part which is the part you hack off and don't use.

.https://www.amazon.com/TireTek-Premium-Cigarette-Lighter-Extension/dp/B018EOVB56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504903599&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=12v+Extension&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Dkii-Vehicle-Extension-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B06XS7G4PY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504903599&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+Extension

You could probably get by with a 6' cord.

The A119 comes ready to use but there are probably some settings your going to want to change.

-Turn on WDR

-Format the memory card

-Set the date

-Turn on/off the speed & date stamp

-Set Screen saver

-Set video clip length.

-Turn on/off the beeping

Its all super easy and i just used the USB cord plugged into my computer to power it up before hand and set it all up. It remember the settings so you only have to do it the once.

I also think people don't realize that most dash cams run on 5v and not 12v so just wiring it into the headliner is not a very easy idea. The a119 comes with a plug in 12v-5v adapter which is nice but most dash cams come with a non removable one built into the end of the cord so you have to use the factory cord that plugs into a 12V socket. I tried using the USB ports in the center console and the screen was flickering when powered off them. I then tried a 12v to 5v 1A wall wart i had that i then plugged into my 110 outlet and also got the flickering screen. Works flawlessly with the inlcuded 12v to 5v cigarette adapter the camera came with.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 9/7/2017 at 1:22 PM, bgweed said:

From the 2016 manual pdf:

The outlets below the radio / AC should be always-on. I believe you can change this behavior by moving a fuse in the fusebox behind the driver door. In the photo below, if you take the 50A fuse and move it "up" one step so that it covers where this wire comes out (this wire is not factory, it was added as a mod so will not be there in your truck), it will switch the center stack outlets to RAP (Retained Accessory Power), which will turn off after you shut off the truck and open the driver door.

f42962f6ad1cef377e854a9f6122ed8e.jpg

THANK YOU! I followed this exact picture and place a connector instead of fuse on for my dashcam like this and it works like a charm and turns off apon exit. I had constant power before so this is perfect.