2500HD 6.0 oil

Wont be too much longer before i'll have my first oil change in this new truck.

Im sure this has been asked and of course is highly debatable, BUT, since ive been running a dmax for the last 14 years using Rotella full synthetic oil, i'm out of the loop on oils for gassers so i'd like to ask what the general consensus is from you guys as to what oil/filter combo ya'll are running in these motors.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any full synthetic 5w30 will do. I ran Pennzoil Platinum (silver bottle but now I think its yellow bottle/silver label) in mine when I had it. Factory fill is AC Delco Dexos1 Gen2 5w30 full synthetic. Go with the AC Delco UPF-48R oil filter.

I am not sure what the proper break in procedure is for your rig. As a rule of thumb, using synthetic oil is a bad idea on a brand new engine. Does this apply to your specific motor? I don't know. Might be worth looking into though, as the break in procedure is paramount.

Myth, most engines come from factory with synthetic...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Myth, most engines come from factory with synthetic...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

yep, older vehicles you were supposed to have at least XXXXXX number of miles before going to full syn, but as you stated, many of them come from the factory with full syn now.

Thanks for the replies guys, was just trying to get a general consensus on what ya'll were running.

I am not an expert on the topic, but I would imagine that most modern automotive engines are more resistant to improper break-in procedures versus small engines or the older outdated engine designs. I am under the impression that on most modern consumer level vehicles, the primary break in procedures take place prior to the end customer ever touching the keys. It would not surprise me in the least if a new car's owners manual specifies full synthetic from day one.

When it comes to brand new high performance race engines, I have my own break in procedures that I follow, others do more, and some do less. No one does nothing.

This may be of interest:

• Q: Can I break-in my engine on Red Line motor oil?
  • For performance engines, we recommend using conventional 10w30 motor oil to ensure proper piston ring seating.

Red Line Synthetic Oil

6100 Egret Court
Benicia, CA 94510
PHONE: (707) 745-6100 or (800) 624-7958
FAX: (707) 745-321

Engine-Break-In-GM-LT4-V8.jpg

The newer 6.0s use 5w30 now? Interesting, I always ran Mobil 1 10w-30 in my 6.0s but they were '01 and '06.

Pro engine builders all recommend 10w-30 for LS motors having said that I have used nothing but 5w-30 in all mine, zero issues regardless.

I drive my truck home from the dealer and swap oil and filter, full synthetic with 12 miles on it every time.

I do vary the rpm and load on the drive home staying under 55mph and under 3/4 throttle allowing for a lot of rpm and grade braking while pulling hard. Not sure if it makes any difference what so ever but I have broken in a lot of engines in my life and always had great runners that used no oil and pulled strong.

I'm just going to throw this out: when was the last oil related failure you read about, in a 5.3l, 6.0l, or 6.2l, on this forum?

Point is, run a Dexos oil and don't worry about it.

For the record, I started with Mobil 1, then swapped to Schaeffers, now I'm back to Mobil 1. And lately I'm running 10w30 summer and 5w30 winter for no other reason than I can...I have a stockpile that I need to rotate theough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Not that you usually won't find that dexos rating but considering they haven't changed the 6 liter beyond the injectors and it's the same engine since 2007 before dexos existed... you will be fine with anything lol. For warranty related purposes and say you spun a bearing... lost a lifter...had some mechanical failure and they decide to have the oil analyzed.. it should meet their Dexos requirements.

Archived