GMC wireless charging iPhone 6/7/8 Plus / Samsung Galaxy

I just upgraded to one of these bigger phones and it doesn't fit on the OEM charger. Is there an aftermarket replacement or some kind of DYI fix? I'm in a 2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali if that helps.

As many of these vehicle and phone combinations we have out there, it would make sense there is a market for such a thing. I've tried searching google, youtube and this forum for my options. Please don't flame me if the solution is obvious. I probably just didn't use the correct search terms if it is out there. I'm thinking I need to find a 3D printer and make one myself.

I hear ya man, I don't know what GM was thinking with this. I have the wireless pad on my 2017 Camaro and I can't use it since the phone doesn't fit. Great idea to support a modern technology but how the hell do you screw up being able to support a modern phone size.

People have modified them. There are threads all over the forum. However, they are relating to the inability to charge, not fitment. I've seen a few threads about replacing the charger itself for a more powerful one. What phone are you using?

Edited by Gassamax

Just plug it in USB to charge it. Plus Apple CarPlay/Android Auto require USB hook up to function. You aren't missing anything not using the wireless charger.

You're absolutely right. Although, it is kinda lame to have the technology I can't use. CarPlay works wirelessly in some applications. I was disapointed by GMC missing the boat on this as well. If I was going to abandon the wireless charger all together I'd want to replace the charger with something functional like a storage area or something. I guess I can keep it for any friends that have a compatible phone :cool:

My company force me to swap from a Galaxy to an Iphone. The wireless charger is one thing I did not realize I would miss so much. Always nice just grabbing a charge when running an errand in your truck and not having to deal with cords. Got to plug this stupid Iphone in every time I want to charge it.

I'm using the iPhone 8 Plus. I was using the 6S with a charging case before and loved it.

if you can install a more powerful charger, i'm sure you could get it to charge

if you can install a more powerful charger, i'm sure you could get it to charge

It's not the charging power that is the problem. The iPhone 8 plus is much larger than my old 6S that I replaced. It won't fit on the charger. I was hoping someone had already addressed the size difference problem. I don't really want to take the console apart and re-engineer a fix if that's already been done.

I'm thinking someone (maybe me I guess) could modify or re-engineer #6 in the diagram below

b73e9d27b8a39b9834722048582f9d6d.png

It's not the charging power that is the problem. The iPhone 8 plus is much larger than my old 6S that I replaced. It won't fit on the charger. I was hoping someone had already addressed the size difference problem. I don't really want to take the console apart and re-engineer a fix if that's already been done.

I'm thinking someone (maybe me I guess) could modify or re-engineer #6 in the diagram below

b73e9d27b8a39b9834722048582f9d6d.png

I don't believe anyone has done that, but what I was getting at was that it technically wouldn't have to fit all the way inside for you to utilize the charging feature with a more powerful charger

• Like 1

I don't believe anyone has done that, but what I was getting at was that it technically wouldn't have to fit all the way inside for you to utilize the charging feature with a more powerful charger

Just have to cut out the plastic ti get it to sit a little higher35a95205b51627b8e2f5a62fc72ad8f8.jpg00744674801956578a96b1cac1a6f982.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

The GM wireless charger is junk. 2016 and 2017 were out of date before the went in the cars and the 2018 that actually works with Apple is still out of date for any decent charge rate. 16&17 people throw it away and add any wireless fast wireless charger you want. Grab a 12v to 5v USB inverter on amazon and connect to the factory positive/purple and negative/Black. There is a ton of room to add any wireless charger in the hole GM created. Could likely add two if you wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...