5.3 Liter Oil Level/Dipstick Reading?

No matter what the dipstick reads 'over filled' when I do a complete drain then put in the required amount of oil listed in the manual.

The dipstick is flimsy too. I had looked earlier, never saw any good replacements for the factory dipstick. That was a few years ago, any ideas of a better dipstick that works? I would prefer thicker metal, flat, easy to read.

Does anyone else see this as an issue? Thanks.

OBTW, This is a 2017 Silverado, 5.3 liter engine.

• Like 1

No. I put in 2 gallons (8 qts) and the stick reads just above the cross-hatched area. I don't pay any attention unless the level drops into the cross-hatched area which indicates a1 qt range. In the last 15,000 OCI mine only used about 1/3 qt of oil.

My 2012 5.3L would read overfilled with a cold, overnight oil level check after an oil and filter change with the recommended 6 quarts. It would burn the overfill oil off so started doing 5.7 quarts when doing an oil and filter change. Doing this it now reads full on a cold check and stopped burning oil.

I have read that the overfill is normal but will read full on a hot check such as checked when fueling. The overfill amount being used to fill the motor up.

:happysad:

• 3 years later...

I have the same concerns.   I have a 2018 silverado with a 5.3 vortec which holds 8 quarts and has been an inch above the full mark since new, hot or cold.  Our Chevrolet dealer told me not to worry about it but I cannot accept this is normal.  Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved?

On 10/9/2017 at 6:54 AM, rdnckhntr94 said:

Put in 8 quarts, you'll be fine. I check mine every 2500 miles since I tow often, these trucks seem to consume oil if held above 3k rpm's constantly

Decades ago I had a Ford 352 that would do that. Keep under 3K and it was fine. Over, not so much. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 11:43 AM, zastoda said:

I have the same concerns.   I have a 2018 silverado with a 5.3 vortec which holds 8 quarts and has been an inch above the full mark since new, hot or cold.  Our Chevrolet dealer told me not to worry about it but I cannot accept this is normal.  Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved?

When I had my 2018 I had the same issue: I've since sold it, but I'll tell yeah, it must be a thing now because my current vehicle does the same thing...it takes 6.4 quarts of oil and reads like it's overfilled by a quart.