GM certified front camera

In addition to EpocLt's question:

from this thread there appear to be three options:

1) GMs (Link) ~$400 for just a camera - I assume this connects to the factory system with no programming needed? UI gets added to the screen? 

2) MVI's (Link) $425 multi camera module + $129 for front camera. Sounds like this has additional programming, and maybe requires unlocking, and is 3rd party software?

3) ADC Mobile (Link) $549 multi module + $80 front camera. Sounds like this has additional programming/unlocking, and is 3rd party software?

Probably one from Nav-TV too? 

Anyone care to give details on significant install differences and/or user interface differences? The last two claim to allow for in motion monitoring and expandability to additional cameras, or video signals, plus "auto on" at low speed functionality. I assume the GM one does not?   

On 05/02/2019 at 10:54 PM, ftwhite said:

In addition to EpocLt's question:

from this thread there appear to be three options:

1) GMs (Link) ~$400 for just a camera - I assume this connects to the factory system with no programming needed? UI gets added to the screen? 

2) MVI's (Link) $425 multi camera module + $129 for front camera. Sounds like this has additional programming, and maybe requires unlocking, and is 3rd party software?

3) ADC Mobile (Link) $549 multi module + $80 front camera. Sounds like this has additional programming/unlocking, and is 3rd party software?

Probably one from Nav-TV too? 

Anyone care to give details on significant install differences and/or user interface differences? The last two claim to allow for in motion monitoring and expandability to additional cameras, or video signals, plus "auto on" at low speed functionality. I assume the GM one does not?   

Going to throw in a 4th option for you, it's the PAC audio mcigm52. This module allows you to add a front or trailer camera and 2 blind spot cameras. No additional programming required, plug and play unit for $450 on Amazon. 

You can set the front camera to turn on:

- after leaving reverse gear and it will turn off when you reach 8mph

- automatically turn on at speeds below 10mph only when the wheels are turned

- and forced operation

I use pac modules consistently at work and highly recommend their products

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to installing the camera, and the biggest PIA was feeding the camera wire through the firewall. It’s almost impossible to do with one person.  I had to use a wire running rod, and lube that up to get it though. Lots of repositioning and fidgeting to get it through. I also had to loosen what I think is the junction box in order to get my hand up behind it and pull the wire down. I finally had to ask my wife to help push on the wire as I pulled. It was not pleasant. The rest was straightforward. One note to tell anyone of you mount where I mounted, you’ll have to flip the camera so it isn’t upside down. I didn’t want to mount it hanging under the bow tie, so I mounted it upright one tier below. Anyway, here are some pics from the install. Getting the grill off was a little tricky as well,  so take it easy with that to avoid breaking anything.  If you have questions, let me know, and I’ll help if I can. 

56021006-1851-41C5-B274-75539F4BCF56.jpeg

8BAFE51C-65BC-4DCB-AFD9-C6ED4A97B1F2.jpeg

DED5B8E5-A05F-4EC5-A3E2-08E7397A1B61.jpeg

EEA6EF41-638E-4209-AD19-68B73A4C1022.jpeg

578D607F-F7FA-4FD4-B6B3-97520BA4AFB9.jpeg

Edited by Jchoi
  • Like 3

Finally got around to installing the camera, and the biggest PIA was feeding the camera wire through the firewall. It’s almost impossible to do with one person.  I had to use a wire running rod, and lube that up to get it though. Lots of repositioning and fidgeting to get it through. I also had to loosen what I think is the junction box in order to get my hand up behind it and pull the wire down. I finally had to ask my wife to help push on the wire as I pulled. It was not pleasant. The rest was straightforward. One note to tell anyone of you mount where I mounted, you’ll have to flip the camera so it isn’t upside down. I didn’t want to mount it hanging under the bow tie, so I mounted it upright one tier below. Anyway, here are some pics from the install. Getting the grill off was a little tricky as well,  so take it easy with that to avoid breaking anything.  If you have questions, let me know, and I’ll help if I can. 
56021006-1851-41C5-B274-75539F4BCF56.thumb.jpeg.257c0e28b3fabc1a50fed5688129f2f3.jpeg
8BAFE51C-65BC-4DCB-AFD9-C6ED4A97B1F2.thumb.jpeg.d993fd5865731eafd12a28122299bae0.jpeg
DED5B8E5-A05F-4EC5-A3E2-08E7397A1B61.thumb.jpeg.bf75ea2b6d74d8e16f9cd6c928bf6cc4.jpeg
EEA6EF41-638E-4209-AD19-68B73A4C1022.thumb.jpeg.b8ff6a7064e0651757976e014c16cc24.jpeg
578D607F-F7FA-4FD4-B6B3-97520BA4AFB9.thumb.jpeg.d7c77cd3c3d8a4dcd3157d6ae0aa0576.jpeg

So you have to add a module and it’s all plug and play?

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, chrispassas21 said:

So you have to add a module and it’s all plug and play?

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 4th pic you can see the module that’s mounted on top of a bracket over the CD player....completely plug and play with all connectors included. It’s actually a GM part number. Warranty even states 3yr 36k from date of purchase. 

The other things that’s nice about this is all the connectors are there to add the  additional cameras should you choose to. There are several more available....the tow mirror cameras might be in my future. 

Edited by Jchoi
  • Like 1

In the 4th pic you can see the module that’s mounted on top of a bracket over the CD player....completely plug and play with all connectors included. It’s actually a GM part number. Warranty even states 3yr 36k from date of purchase. 
The other things that’s nice about this is all the connectors are there to add the  additional cameras should you choose to. There are several more available....the tow mirror cameras might be in my future. 
So all I need is the module and the camera? What's the cost and part #s?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, huntr1117 said:

So all I need is the module and the camera? What's the cost and part #s?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is the kit you’ll need. Used their 5% off coupon, and got it for 396 shipped. I just liked how it was a GM part that was plug and play with the option to add all or a selection of the other cameras available. 

On 11/14/2017 at 3:14 PM, GTPprix said:

So just get the HMI unlock and wire it in LOL Super easy no extra hardware required other than the camera and a switch ;) Viola instant pushbutton front and rear camera on command. 

@GTPprix and @pgamboa did you ever come up a simplified solution for this? As in just tying in a camera and switch? When I get my HMI back from Chris I might want to give this a go.

10 hours ago, djewell said:

@GTPprix and @pgamboa did you ever come up a simplified solution for this? As in just tying in a camera and switch? When I get my HMI back from Chris I might want to give this a go.

I just like that if I decide to add the other cameras, it’s real simple now that I have the module there already. 

1 hour ago, Jchoi said:

I just like that if I decide to add the other cameras, it’s real simple now that I have the module there already. 

do you have the part # to the module ???