auto up window

RP53

3 minutes ago, CombsL83 said:

Tell her to get used to that 2inch window gap :D

Another option is for her to become more comfortable with the HVAC system.  For some of us driving without a window partially open can feel somewhat suffocating and/or claustrophobic. Understanding how the HVAC system circulates large amounts of temperature controlled, fresh, filtered air throughout the cabin can help.  I have grown to favour the quiet of all windows closed and the HVAC doing its job!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Donstar said:

I recommend spending more practice time with your mom rather than trying to defeat the advantages of this auto feature. I know about body parts slowing down but this can be mastered.  I also once found this feature problematic but now I don't give it a second thought.  I bet your mom is like me and misses the triangle vent windows on trucks and cars!  I remember being very disappointed when these disappeared!  

While I appreciate that with practice that most able bodied people could probably manage to train their fingers/hand just right to achieve the desired effect, it won't be possible for some to. My Mother is among those that will never be able to practice and get it because her inability is tied to what could best be classified as "the failings of the human body due to age". You can't practice out what doesn't work correctly or normally or properly anymore.

And because of this, "Express" should be an option (even if it comes as "on" by default and needs to be programmed to "off" if the owner does not want it... no matter why they don't want it), not the only choice.

If you want to disable the auto-up, you might be able to physically disassemble and modify the switch so it activates the "up" function even if you move the switch to the auto-up position.  While the operation may go through a computer, the switch itself likely just has 2 wires/traces to that computer to indicate which operation to perform, so just change the switch or wires or traces so the computer/truck gets the same "up" signal from the switch if you move the switch to "up" or "auto up".

7 hours ago, RichardInTN said:

While I appreciate that with practice that most able bodied people could probably manage to train their fingers/hand just right to achieve the desired effect, it won't be possible for some to. My Mother is among those that will never be able to practice and get it because her inability is tied to what could best be classified as "the failings of the human body due to age". You can't practice out what doesn't work correctly or normally or properly anymore.

And because of this, "Express" should be an option (even if it comes as "on" by default and needs to be programmed to "off" if the owner does not want it... no matter why they don't want it), not the only choice.

Good luck with your search.  I know first hand about, "the failings of the human body due to age" and that getting the window to stop at a desired height can be a challenge.  At first I saw no advantage to the express feature but as arthritis continues to reduce mobility, the pros of the express feature outweigh the cons, imo.  Yes, it would be ideal to have a choice but if there isn't,  be sure you are not creating more issues by solving this particular frustration.   I also totally respect and understand the motivation to make sure our mom (or dad) is as comfortable/independent as possible.  

• Like 1

There may be a way to reprogram the BCM for it.  Otherwise, do not lift or press the button all the way up/down.  There is a momentary detent on the switch, about halfway to either extreme. 

• 3 weeks later...

There are no “advantages” to this function. The advantage would bd if you could disable it. It is actually dangerous while you’re driving, trying to get the window NOT to go all the way up automatically! Disabling it would also possibly solve the common switch problem I’m having on my 17 Silverado where window goes up then immediately back down ! Dealer won’t replace my faulty switch-blames it on rainguards-what a load of !@&!! Guess I’m writing ANOTHER complaint letter to GM ! What gets me is...they know about switch problem as it’s been ongoing for years!

1 hour ago, TraciM said:

There are no “advantages” to this function. The advantage would bd if you could disable it. It is actually dangerous while you’re driving, trying to get the window NOT to go all the way up automatically! Disabling it would also possibly solve the common switch problem I’m having on my 17 Silverado where window goes up then immediately back down ! Dealer won’t replace my faulty switch-blames it on rainguards-what a load of !@&!! Guess I’m writing ANOTHER complaint letter to GM ! What gets me is...they know about switch problem as it’s been ongoing for years!

My '10 Ridgeline would do that, but only during cold weather.  Wrote it off as a quirk of the vehicle.

13 hours ago, TraciM said:

Don't pull the switch all the way, and you won't have to fear the "DANGER!" of windows while driving.  The dealer is also completely correct, it isn't a switch problem, it is a rainguard problem.  Most everyone here with in-channel rain guards has the same issue.  The auto-up has a pressure switch (you know, for safety), and the rain guards decrease the width of the window channel thereby increasing pressure.  There is a way to "reset" the pressure sensor yourself (that I've had no luck with), but dealers should be able to do it also (mine could not).  Feel free to write to GM about the switch, but make sure you mention the rainguards... those folks need a good laugh.

The switches have 2 positions, very cleared defined by pressure: first detent is manual, second is auto.  The best, and certainly easiest, way to disable the "auto" feature is by not pressing nor pulling the switch all the way.  It's not a complicated process.  These trucks are perfectly equipped to run manual control of the power windows all day long.  No offense, but if the dexterity is lacking to operate a window switch, then maybe it's time to hang the keys up...

Edited by dukedkt442

11 minutes ago, BobJ said:

What is really annoying to me is that the Front Passenger window does NOT have auto up!!

I agree, we have a 2014 Acura MDX and all of the windows have auto up and it's great!

when I have time,  prob... 1 to 2 weeks, I will dig around on my VCX nano I will look at the BCM or Driver Door Control Module to see if there is anything we can change, rarely but sometimes GM puts in calibrations changes for stuff like this, its not just an off switch, typically requires a complete software update to any one of the responsible control modules. 

outside of that you can try MVI or Chris White, Chris White does the programming for MVI. 

https://www.gm-navigation.com/

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

Edited by camcamaro1991

With how the switch feels, I'm pretty sure you could take it apart and physically modify it to remove the express feature. There are a few different ways it could be wired in my head, so each scenario would require a different wiring solution, but I bet you could make it so both positions act as "manual" only.