Hi , and thanks for having a place like this to go to . I have a question. I am looking to purchase a 2018 GMC/CHEVROLET Sierra /Silverado 1500  Double cab truck, in SLE / LT   Z71 . I want to use this truck occasionally  to plow my driveway. I have looked at several locations and am being told that the snow plow prep package needs to be put on the truck. Ok here is the Question , Does Gm or Chevy offer the snow plow prep package for this configuration  ?

Well, depending on how much you need to use the plow and for what, you might be able to get by much simpler and cheaper.   I have a 2015 2500 that came with snow plow prep, but I really have no need for it.  I just installed  a Curt front receiver hitch and then got a SnowSport blade kit.  I improvised on the deal by having a couple of upright brackets made and a winch put on the uprights so that I can raise and lower the blade when I need to, else it just stays down for both forward and rearward.   I use it to clear about 1000' of drive, around out buildings, and even cut a path thru various drifts on my rural road two miles to the highway.  It is on it's third year now.   Total cost under $2K.  Front receiver is nice for maneuvering some small trailers around in the pole barn from time to time.  

Here is what the uprights and winch look like on mine.....

IMG_5382.thumb.jpg.587c5c51eb369c61035b8c019eecb641.jpg

Maybe a shade over 200 lb total.  The uprights are heavier duty tha they really need to be.  The blade is around 60 lb, give or take.  

I don't know about current model year. but when I bought mine, GM only offered plow prep on the 1/2 ton regular cab configuration.

If you're not plowing commercially, you don't really need plow prep. Just select a plow that keeps your front axle under the posted weight rating. I think mine was 3950 (don't know if current models are different)

I got a western HTS because its lightweight but works just like the larger plows. I barely notice it while driving around. And the receivers are removable so I don't lose ground clearance in the summer.

That snowsport one lacks hydraulic controls. So it really depends on where you live, how much snow you plan to push, how much you want to spend on a plow.

My setup was about $5k and the plow weighs just a shade over 400 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I always buy my trucks with the snow prep package, I plow with Fisher plows. If I remember the prep package come with higher output alternator. heavy duty springs. trani cooler, and maybe HD cooling. Cooling might be older trucks. And yes you can get it in 1500 series Trucks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, aseibel said:

I don't know about current model year. but when I bought mine, GM only offered plow prep on the 1/2 ton regular cab configuration.

If you're not plowing commercially, you don't really need plow prep. Just select a plow that keeps your front axle under the posted weight rating. I think mine was 3950 (don't know if current models are different)

I got a western HTS because its lightweight but works just like the larger plows. I barely notice it while driving around. And the receivers are removable so I don't lose ground clearance in the summer.

That snowsport one lacks hydraulic controls. So it really depends on where you live, how much snow you plan to push, how much you want to spend on a plow.

My setup was about $5k and the plow weighs just a shade over 400 lbs.

Probalby OP has already made his decision, but for others:

It is currently true that on a 1500 the snowplow prep is only available on reg cab.  No cab restrictions on 2500.

2018 1500 silverado

VYU         Snow Plow Prep Package Regular Cab 4WD model only, includes power feed for backup and roof emergency light, (KW7) 170-amp alternator, forward lamp wiring harness, (TRW) Provision for cab roof mounted lamp/beacon, (K47) high-capacity air cleaner, (NZZ) underbody shield and Heavy Duty Front Springs.
1 - Not available with 20" wheels.

On 2018 2500 Silverado :

VYU         Snow Plow Prep Package, includes power feed for backup and roof emergency light, (KW5) 220-amp alternator with gas or diesel engine, forward lamp wiring harness, (TRW) provision for cab roof mounted lamp/beacon, (NZZ) underbody shields and Heavy-Duty front-springs
On WT - Only available on 4WD models. Included with (ANQ) Alaskan Snow Plow Special Edition. Upgradeable to (KHB) dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each alternators with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine. 
On LT - Only available on 4WD models. Included with (ANQ) Alaskan Snow Plow Special Edition. Not available with (UG1) Universal Home Remote. Upgradeable to (KHB) dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each alternators with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine. 
On LTZ, HC - Only available on 4WD models. Not available with (CF5) power sunroof. When (VYU) is ordered, (UG1) Universal Home Remote is deleted. Upgradeable to (KHB) dual, 150 amps and 220 amps each alternators with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.

Also on 2018 2500 Silverado WT and LT only:

ANQ         Alaskan Snow Plow Special Edition, Includes (RT4) 18" Black aluminum wheels, (QF2) LT275/65R18E 123/120Q maximum traction blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires, (VYU) Snow Plow Prep Package, (U01) Smoked Amber roof marker lamps, (CGN) spray-on bed liner and unique decal package
On WT - Only available on 4WD models. Includes (DF2) vertical trailering-style mirrors and (9L7) Upfitter switches. Requires (DPN) outside heated power-adjustable vertical trailering mirrors when ordered with (PCM) WT Convenience Package. Requires (BG9) Graphite-colored rubberized-vinyl floor covering. Not available with (PCO) Essentials Package, LPO, (PDO) Protection Package, LPO or (4GM) LT265/70R18E all-terrain spare tire. 
On LT - Only available on 4WD models. Includes (DPN) outside heated power-adjustable vertical trailering mirrors. Requires (BG9) Graphite-colored rubberized-vinyl floor covering. Not available with (PDA) Texas Edition, (PDU) All Star Edition, (WJP) Midnight Edition, (PCO) Essentials Package, LPO, (PDO) Protection Package, LPO or (4GM) LT265/70R18E all-terrain spare tire. Available with (PYV) 18" (45.7 cm) chromed aluminum wheels.

Archived