Use for Instrument Panel Storage (aka the old ashtray)

I’ve got the full console, so no ashtray. But I will say that I used the cd mount phone holder in the card slot and couldn’t be happier. I ran the usb behind the dash and overall it’s a clean install.

As for weather, I’ve never had any issues. I don’t leave my phone in the truck, so there’s very few issues with the door being opened and closed with my phone in the mount. I have window shade covers on the outside, which helps with rain when the window is down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use that ashtray/storage compartment for receipts! LOL!
I keep a microfiber cloth folded up on top of the jump seat storage box for wiping down the dash, etc...
I rest my phone on top of the cloth. I'm always connected to carplay, so the cable runs right under the lid of
storage to one of the USB ports inside.

Still trying to figure out a good location for my phone as well. Are you just putting it in the tray that is the wireless charging pad in some models?

3 hours ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

I use that compartment for loose change as well as my wallet/cell in the warmer months. The change is handy for drive thru coffees etc.

Loose change is hard to come by with the kid and the wife on the prowl.  Seems like a good spot for it though!

On 1/9/2018 at 12:43 PM, boombalatty said:

I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these and jimmy up a coat hanger and some heat shrink tubing to hold the USB cable in place.  I've got the USB cable now and it is irritating as heck.  Because the phone can move and the magnet is weak, it will disconnect just enough to break the connection if it's not laying down occupying all three of my cupholders.  It won't stay connected in the flat top area that attacts phones at all because the phone is too long and it puts lateral pressure on the cable connection that the magnet can't cope with.  Eh, cheap weekend project here we come.  I'll post some pics and stuff.

Slim magnetic mount
Magnetic attach USB cable

I've got that same cable, I don't use it anymore as I realize I would have to invest in new cables EVERYWHERE in order to keep using that. Fantastic idea, wish they made a cheaper pack of microusb to magnetic pieces so I could just add those rather than replacing every cable.

Got the mount in along with a new case (it was time) and tossed it on the dash to get an idea of how it would work.  Yep, totally mounted the magnet upside down but whatever.

Here are some pics of the test fit.  I still need to grab some heat shrink tubing, a USB splitter, and find a metal coat hanger to cut up and use to mount/hold the USB wire in place.

Here's a video of me playing around with putting the phone on the mount and playing with my floppy cable ;)  

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

I got all the materials finally and got the cable hanger made up and installed.

Materials: 

* (1) Metal hanger cut to length

* (3) 3/8" x 3" heatshrink tubing scraps

* (1) USB man

* (1) Magnetic micro-USB cable

Since I was going down near the console accessory tray, there's a convenient mounting bracket that's directly below it with a few good sized bolts that I could use to secure the hanger to the bracket. 

5a591965bca22_1findamountinglocation.jpg.8d2fa05a4479fc225d29d1e8845e6718.jpg

I pulled off the cover, selected a bolt to use and removed it.  I used a pair of needle nose to create an eye loop on one end of the coat hanger and then ran the bolt through it and tightened everything down.

5a59198294fee_2pullthecoveroff.jpg.681770efa21356116361b464a5faf546.jpg5a5919837cf79_3thebolttousetosecurethemount.jpg.2fbd0ef51d289bd30ef4a17f55328291.jpg5a5919800c46e_5Iusedthewrongonebutitstillworks.jpg.3325474822b117a8eb69f5efa1883573.jpg5a591980d77e3_6howthehangerlooksafteritistighteneddown.jpg.9c8977cb69a7b89f68c9a7c38695ba1c.jpg5a591981b0962_7upclose.jpg.773f8a8e25628c454aa185fa14b30233.jpg

Next bent and cut down the end of the hanger that will be near the USB jack

5a5919d87d334_8bendingthehangertogettheendnearthephonejack.jpg.d2905606c5867ad8b66fa87ebc895487.jpg

After a little playing around with the length and angle, I attached the cable to the hanger using the heatshrink tubing.

5a591b0bce5ed_9shrinktubingholdingtheusbtothehanger.jpg.4a7e22a6a53522418be74eb8e84bb871.jpg

And ran the USB cable over to the top glove box and the USB port there.  I had to use a non-powered hub so I could keep power to my dash cam going.  I feel like rerunning that or trying to tie into power was worth the cost of the hub ($3)

5a591b52b022f_10routedthecabletothetopglovebox.jpg.c1318dd0f1c1016fd0fea429e354d835.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jmiller11331 said:

Funeral home use only

That makes sense, I was wondering. 

Probably doesn’t help much, drivers are so self centered, I’m sure you can tell some stories.

Edited by Hoginedgewood

• 2 years later...

Hi guys I’ve got a 2018 Chev Silverado 2500 Ltz. I’ve removed the centre console and fitted a centre jump seat. I now have a hole under my dash where my centre console was. I think the replacement part is a ash tray so just wondering if anyone has one for sale or where I can purchase on from?

ian