2019 round wheel wells.

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Explain how a round hole gives more space that is the same distance from lip to lip along the rocker panel line? In any axis. 

That's something what makes me wonder sometimes.

But then, I'm not so into big wheels and such and therefore I didn't give it much thought.

so long

j-ten-ner

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Explain how a round hole gives more space that is the same distance from lip to lip along the rocker panel line? In any axis. 

Assuming that the square is equal to the circle in size it wouldn't. However, the position of the wheel inside the "square" and the size of that "square" opening are not equal.

The image attached shows how much taller the opening is over the wheel than side to side. Not being a mechanical engineer I can only assume that this space is meant to allow for wheel travel up and down, since you'd be in a bad place if it was traveling front to back.

My statement was meant to convey that if they chose to use a circular opening it would require them to keep the same height as width or risk it looking like an oval.

Note that fords also have a similar "issue" with the top of the wheel well having more space than the sides, although more noticeable on GM. Without being able to measure I'm unsure of sizing and how big of a difference it actually makes, I've only heard that GMs have "issues" with larger tires because of the wheel well where as trucks with "traditional" circular wells do not.

Take all this for what it's worth but please don't assume I fail at basic geometry.

square-wheel-spec.png

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Saved me typing as well.... Still trying to understand how the "round" top of the arch can fit a bigger wheel/tire if the bottom lip to lip point is the same dimension

Ok, apparently my point isn't coming across here. I'd like to be clear that I don't have measurement of the openings of where the wheel/axel sits within on a stock GM or Ford. That said, my point is that if GM were to cut their fenders to the same height as is current using the bottom of the tire as base, or starting from the center of the axel and measuring out to the top of the current wheel arch, you would likely have more space for larger wheels (as shown in A and B).

A (bottom of wheel to top of well)

v1.png.244375e87be37ad630148759752d2c81.png

B (radius from center of wheel to top of well)

v2.png.3e728fae62c6738e8c9966d3c1583770.png

Now, just to prove that I have a basic understanding of gemotry. The statement that is currently being made against my point is that a circle and fit within a square assuming that A) the square has equal sides and B) the diameter of circle is equal to that of the width of the square. (shown in C) Arrows pointing to the extra space square wheels give you over circle in this example.

v3.png.22e760c89b76bc354c44e0e78a2fbd9b.png

If I had exact measurements I could either prove my assumption or disprove it. That said, from reading on forums and seeing many in person it seems almost universal that trucks with round wells allow for larger wheels with smaller lifts. Perhaps this is taste, current vs old model GM, whatever. I'm attacking this from learned experience and the assumption that the wells would be cut like either A or B in my images.

I'm going to assume from here on that any comments on my original post in the vein of "still not getting how this kid doesn't understand a circle can fit in a square" are trolling or ignorance, either case I have no intent to comment on.

• 2 years later...
22 minutes ago, Dion Saenz said:

Just looks like GM acknowledges Ford, Toyota and Dodge were always better looking. .thanks alot.

Joined 22 minutes ago just to talk smack on a 2 year old thread. Go away please. 

• Haha 1