Underhood storage

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Under the hood, in the spot that the second battery would go in a diesel truck, is a huge waste of space. I'm wondering if there's either an aftermarket or factory box that will fit in that spot? I like to carry spare belts and fluids and a rag and prefer to keep such items under the hood.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, m3n00b said:

Anyone elses truck eat batteries? I wonder if having a second, deep cylcle might help....

You shouldn't need a second battery unless you are putting an extreme load on the system: huge audio system, plow, air compressor, etc.

It seems like most of the people I have seen who's battery died extremely young live in the hottest regions. I think heat is worse for the factory battery than cold. I'm still on my original and no signs of needing a replacement yet.

• 2 years later...
On 2/14/2018 at 10:32 PM, noJeepshere said:

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Under the hood, in the spot that the second battery would go in a diesel truck, is a huge waste of space. I'm wondering if there's either an aftermarket or factory box that will fit in that spot? I like to carry spare belts and fluids and a rag and prefer to keep such items under the hood.

@ nojeepshere.....Saw your post on this & wanted to share what I did today for that spare battery area on the drivers side under hood storage on my '17 silverado. I went to local LKQ Pick Your Parts (after searching inventory on line) & picked up a couple of the under hood storage bins for like $6 each. I have modified one by removing the side mounting boss (used a jig saw & heat gun to cut & push in flush to back side) & removed the bottom mounting threaded insert. There are 5 M6 bolts holding the battery tray in place at the bottom. I'll be drilling holes through bottom of the Bin box to match location of 2 or 3 of the bolts to mount the Bin in this battery tray. This is pretty much what my '96 Silverado had. Presto, a storage Bin to store jumper cables, towing hitch & anything else I can think off. I'll post pictures when I get it mounted. Thought I'd pass this on to you. Here's a link on how to remove the Bin from older Silverado.

https://youtu.be/qb9yweIMaAQ

Installed a storage box from a 99 Tahoe/Suburban.  I bought it off of Ebay.

It took a couple of new holes in the bottom of the box to mount it. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:32 PM, noJeepshere said:

@ noJeepshere….    As mention previously, I have modified the '96 Silverado storage bin in my '17 Silverado.

1. I had to modify the Bin 1st to get it to fit better in the space; I used a heat gun to soften the end mounting boss & reform it so it was flush to that end, so it would fit closer to the fender support. 9Be aware there's an aluminum plate molded in the boss area)

2. I removed the bottom hold down screw boss by heating the area & twisting it out. This allowed it to fit flush to the bottom of the battery tray.

3. I drill (3) holes in the bottom of the box in line with (3) of the tray's mounting bolts.

4. I had to buy M6 x 1.5" lg bolts at Lowes along with washers to be able to screw into the exiting mounting holes. The bolts that were removed are only approx. 1" long and will not contact the threads from the inside of the box.

5. I also modified the Box cover in (2) areas; the hinges were straightened some so I could install the Lid with the fender support brace in place. I also heated & formed a recess in the lid top to allow the Lid to open farther before hitting the support brace.

Attached are pictures of the project. Let me know if you have any questions. I've stored my jumper cables & miss. stuff in this Bin. Thanks for the idea. BTW, I bought the bins at LKQ Pick your parts salvage lot for about $6. (I  pulled 2 bins off trucks just in case I needed the 2nd one.)

20200309_103013.jpg

20200309_103110.jpg

20200309_103121.jpg

20200309_111020.jpg

20200309_113553.jpg

20200309_113618.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...