Posessed 2014 Sierra 1500 garage queen

I have 25k on my 2014 truck which lives in my attacher garage and recently its decided to come alive.  With one set of keys out of range and the other sitting in the center console my truck started on its own, ran until it came up to 160 degrees then shut off. That was Tuesday, 3 days later I came home to find that apparently it has done it again as the doors are locked and my garage smells of fumes. When I called the dealer they Said it has never happened to anyone they know of. When I called Onstar to see if they did it I was told they can only unlock the doors, not start it. Any ideas??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you happen to buy this truck used? If so I would suspect that someone has the onstar remote app setup for it on their smartphone and never removed it. From the onstar phone app you can lock/unlock the doors - start/stop the engine - turn on the horn and lights   If they never removed the app I could see this happening.  

Your neighbor got a GM vehicle in their driveway/garage? Does yours remote start when they remote start theirs? I don’t care who says what there can only be so many frequencies for these things. This is common with some garage door openers.

Interference from another electronic device?

5 hours ago, Dnt said:

Did you happen to buy this truck used? If so I would suspect that someone has the onstar remote app setup for it on their smartphone and never removed it. From the onstar phone app you can lock/unlock the doors - start/stop the engine - turn on the horn and lights   If they never removed the app I could see this happening.  

Jaded X wife? Mad at you teenager? Pissed off service writer at stealership? Lost cellphone?

Anybody know are these trucks hackable? I’ve read about this with other manufacturers hackers can raise all kinds of havoc including shutting off the vehicle in motion. Is OnStar hackable?

Original battery? There has been posts on here about suspected  low voltage causing weird electrical problems, especially since your fob is in the truck?

Truck is mad at you because you don’t drive her? She wants to roll.

Since I now know the key is in it what is your address? Just kidding! Maybe...

On 2/16/2018 at 8:14 PM, Dnt said:

I bought it new.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:34 AM, wforrest08 said:

Your neighbor got a GM vehicle in their driveway/garage? Does yours remote start when they remote start theirs? I don’t care who says what there can only be so many frequencies for these things. This is common with some garage door openers.

Interference from another electronic device?

Jaded X wife? Mad at you teenager? Pissed off service writer at stealership? Lost cellphone?

Anybody know are these trucks hackable? I’ve read about this with other manufacturers hackers can raise all kinds of havoc including shutting off the vehicle in motion. Is OnStar hackable?

Original battery? There has been posts on here about suspected  low voltage causing weird electrical problems, especially since your fob is in the truck?

Truck is mad at you because you don’t drive her? She wants to roll.

Since I now know the key is in it what is your address? Just kidding! Maybe...

I know all of my neighbors, only a new Honda which is always garaged.

No X, no Teens, They actually like me at the dealer cause I keep buying Caddy's.

Original battery yes but never had an issue and always starts quickly.

Truck could be angry but I stuck through her bad days.

Might have been someone that test drove it and set the app up just playing around.  Should be able to get a data log from GM remote app as to when the app has been used to send commands to the vehicle and from what smartphone number? That would be my first / second / third and fourth effort. Most likely you will have to try several times to get some intelligent life on the other end of the phone. 

I doubt someone that test drove the truck 4 years ago all of the sudden is starting to F with it. 

Are the window open in the truck and any animals living in the house?

FINALLY!! After refreshing my brain by rewatching “Christine” I was wondering when the sequel would come out.

But on a serious note, name it Christine, accept your fate, and feel privileged because you got the first and only autobot exclusively from gm. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I used to work, they had a 2015 Dodge Cummins that got possessed twice. It would cycle the starter several times a second(that was a terrible sound), then start itself, shut off on its own, go into gear on its own, and a lot of other things, all with no key in the ignition. Dashboard looked like a Christmas tree and the gauges did whatever they wanted. 

If my memory serves me right, it was a ground issue both times. Maybe that's what's up with yours? Other thought is maybe a short in the ignition switch or computer?

No pets, truck is closed up tight, garage is totally finished and you can eat off the floor.

Odd that you mention ground... A couple years back I had problems with this truck for over a year, left me stranded 5 times and towed to shop under warranty. After 6 trips the dealer felt sorry for us and wanted to lemon law but they later that day found the the negative battery cable was not crimped at the bottom of the cable and it would slide in and out of the plastic sheath causing the truck to die & run with temp change. New cable and its been fine for a year, now this. I asked the dealer if they could change the code and remotes to correct and they thought not. Its now almost a daily thing where I find it running or at lease the doors locked remotely. The batterys have been out of the remotes and the keys not near the truck. NO one has been in my home so ...

Try disabling remote start by unlatching the hood to see if it does it again!  Is your garage attached to the house? If so you should always unlatch the hood as a precaution so you don't all die from carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Archived