Bought a Range AFM disabler

I understand that it's a little cheaper, but why not just spend a little more money (<$100 more) and get a full on programmer that includes cylinder deactivation??

For instance, you can get a hypertech for ~$300. You will get this function without the need to keep something plugged in, plus you get to program everything else...

I'm just curious what the decision point was for purchasing these..

17 minutes ago, a_salazar08 said:

I understand that it's a little cheaper, but why not just spend a little more money (<$100 more) and get a full on programmer that includes cylinder deactivation??

For instance, you can get a hypertech for ~$300. You will get this function without the need to keep something plugged in, plus you get to program everything else...

Some people decide they don't want to program their vehicle while it's in the warranty period, like me. Once out I will probably sell mine and then tune it.

1 hour ago, a_salazar08 said:

I often wonder this same thing.  I have read a lot on this topic and have been driving with AFM for the past 9 years.  If it is creating an annoying ride then it needs repair not elimination.  You can see when your truck switches to V4 but but I seriously questions the complaints about feel and sound.   We should start embracing cylinder deactivation and start/stop technology because it isn't going away.   I personally think it is brilliant to have cylinders operating when needed.  No sense leaving the lights on in rooms you're not using!

8 hours ago, Korazu said:

Some people decide they don't want to program their vehicle while it's in the warranty period, like me. Once out I will probably sell mine and then tune it.

That makes sense. I didn't mean the comment to be negative in any way, just an honest question.

That totally makes sense with that justification. I still think 200 bucks for that one function is crazy expensive.

So does this thing still have problems throwing trouble codes on the 2017s?  I am interested in one but I have a 2017 Sierra 1500 with the flew 5.3 v8 a heard stories of people constantly dealing with check engine light coming on.

I too have a 2018 LTZ Z71 and was shopping for the disabler. I was concerned about the engine lights as well, but from what I’ve read Range appears to have rectified any issues in the 2017+ vehicles with their latest update. FYI There is currently a discount code strait from the range website offering $10 off price and free priority shipping ($189) for those currently interested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwgsx said:

What is the current version now ? 

I believe they are at 8.3 but, per Range’s website Version 7 and above should have eliminated the issues in 2017+ vehicles reference the Check Engine Lights. 

• 1 month later...

Plugged in my new RANGE AFM Disabler Friday.  No codes or problems.  Not enough time behind the wheel

to make an accurate report but the truck seems more responsive especially on the hills.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:31 PM, Mattiboy62 said:

I believe they are at 8.3 but, per Range’s website Version 7 and above should have eliminated the issues in 2017+ vehicles reference the Check Engine Lights. 

Current version is 8.6 at least as of last Friday