Silverado - Ding, Ding at start up

2000 Silverado  -  When I crank up, the truck will make the ding, ding sound about 5 times.  Anyway to shut this off so it doesn't do it?  Is there a fuse I can remove?

It's the seat belt chime. I wouldn't recommend doing anything other than wearing your seat belt but here are a few options. 

Wire the seat belt connector together so the vehicle thinks the seat belt is in. (don't do it!)

Wire the left speaker into the right speaker channel since it only uses the left speaker. (don't do it!)

Get a seat belt from the junkyard and cut the insert part off an plug it into your seat belt so it thinks the seat belt is connected. (don't do it!)

Plug your seat belt, then get in the car and sit on the belt. (don't do it!)

Just a few options that I don't recommend but will answer your question!

Are you sure this is the same ding, ding?  This happens immediately when I crank up the truck.  If that's the case, I'll just get one of the dummy buckles.  As for safty... this is just my farm truck. slow speeds, in and out a lot..  not going to use the seat belt 

IIRC, my 01 had a plug in chime under the dash that I unplugged. I know I did something to turn it off the day I bought it new. I guess it could have been the wires going to the buckle that I wired together. I will look at them in the morning if you need me to.

Muddkatt, I'd be interested to know what you did only for the opposite reasons of GMC-AT.  Mine does not chime.  I use my seat belt regularly so that's not the problem.  The thing I don't like is that there is no reminder chime if the lights are left on.

I'm not a fan of defeating safety features but I understand that in the work/farm environment this may be necessary.  This post did jog my memory of the gentle reminder given by my 2000 Silverado when compared to the piercing shrill of my '15 when it was new!

22 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I'm not a fan of defeating safety features but I understand that in the work/farm environment this may be necessary.  This post did jog my memory of the gentle reminder given by my 2000 Silverado when compared to the piercing shrill of my '15 when it was new!

My wife does not enjoy the "piercing shrill" of ours either.  We wear our seat belts religiously, but need this sound gone,  or at least volume turned down some...wow!

38 minutes ago, Ron505 said:

My wife does not enjoy the "piercing shrill" of ours either.  We wear our seat belts religiously, but need this sound gone,  or at least volume turned down some...wow!

Your GM dealer does have a fix for this complaint.  It will still be loud, but it won't hurt so much!

4 hours ago, PTXer said:

Muddkatt, I'd be interested to know what you did only for the opposite reasons of GMC-AT.  Mine does not chime.  I use my seat belt regularly so that's not the problem.  The thing I don't like is that there is no reminder chime if the lights are left on.

I went and looked at it and I unplugged the connector that is under the seat. The chime is located under the steering wheel. If your truck does not chime when you leave the key in the ignition with the door open, or when you leave the headlights on, check the chime to make sure it is plugged up and has not been modified (removed the 1 inch speaker from it).

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

Your GM dealer does have a fix for this complaint.  It will still be loud, but it won't hurt so much!

Are you serious Clark?  

I'm pretty sure I've lost that bit of my hearing where my front parking sensors go off twice a day, every day!  Why is is so loud???  

6 hours ago, Nick The Great said:

Are you serious Clark?  

I'm pretty sure I've lost that bit of my hearing where my front parking sensors go off twice a day, every day!  Why is is so loud???  

Yes, I'm serious.  There are several threads on this topic.  Many have had this fix but will still be pretty loud.

Archived