Utility trailer tires.

Hoping there’s some contractors in this forum. Just purchase a new trailer for my business and I’m wanting to upgrade to something like the pictures below and if anyone know about this tires, I’ll appreciate any info. Colorado trailer.inc makes this off road trailer and wanting to do this to mine. TIA.IMG_0704.JPGIMG_0708.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For light trailers- everything smaller than tractor trailer tires-

Although those tires look cool trailers utilizing anything other than trailer tires will handle poorly.

Car and truck tires will fit and can possibly handle the the load but will not track straight and can also cause issues when braking.

Trailer tires like car/truck tires are round and black. On some even the green tire, the interior is the same.

What makes a trailer tire a trailer tire is a carcass that is designed to handle a heavier load as well as a tread compound that resists chopping or scalloping and is designed to track straight, not corner or for optimal contact patch, roll down the road with the least amount of resistance keeping temperatures down.

Yes, some manufacturers use car or truck trailers on trailers. Do yourself a favor and use trailer tires on your trailer.

Yes, those off road tires look cool, but functional? NO.

BTW the trailer you were looking at is a Cargo Craft.  Colorado Trailers is just a trailer dealer.  Cargocraftinc.com

There are 4 dealers near you around the Dallas area.  Cargo Craft has 2 manufacturing facilities. One in Texas and one in Georgia.

I agree with Colorado Osprey. I've seen this type of dressup done with travel trailers as well.  The off-road tires look great but make no sense on a trailer.  I have owned two cargo trailers two utility trailers and one boat trailer.  My first was an older trailer with car tires and it wandered behind me like it had a mind of its own.  At that time I learned that trailer tires and car tires are not the same.  Keep good quality, fresh trailer specific tires on your trailer and it will follow wherever your truck can go!

29 minutes ago, Colorado Osprey said:

Yes, some manufacturers use car or truck trailers on trailers. Do yourself a favor and use trailer tires on your trailer.

Yes, those off road tires look cool, but functional? NO.

haha, while you are exactly accurate with your information, I'm guessing that's not the answer he wanted to hear. If we took away all of the topics on non-functional mods, half of this forum would disappear.

OP, If you want to change tires, just find new rubber that fits your rims, or find new rims that match the bolt pattern on your trailer. the possibilites are many, but the trailer bolt pattern is different than most trucks. just be aware of your weight load and be prepared to replace the rubber after 2,000 miles when they go bald.

what Osprey said ...after I myself tried cheating on a utility trailer and put automotive tires on it and  had nothing but bad  times .....

possibly if you are using the trailer for  slow speed of road  in sand or soft ground  those wide truck tires may work out on the trailer .. but for normal  use including hiway speeds  .... not recommended  ....although it does look a whole lot of COOL .....

I ran LT tires on my trailers without one hiccup...bigger travel trailers come skinned with LT tires (not ST trailer tires) from the dealer.

My last camper came factory with Maxxis MTs in an LT, that weighed over 4000 pounds on its single axle...towed just fine. It was an "off-road" popup...

My home built 5x8 is shod with tandem 8k pound axles, eight lug steel
Dodge wheels, and General LT246x75r16 LR E tires, I've had 6k pounds in the box and towed it 350 miles without any problems...the tires are even USED from the local tire shop ($5 each)!! I only need 35psi in all four tires to carry that weight too...that trailer probably has 25k miles on it since I rebuilt it.

My worksite trailer I sold was a former compressor chassis (about 4x6), Icut down and grafted a Dana 60 under it for eight lug hubs, used aluminum Dodge wheels with LT225x75r16 LR Ds...that trailer had more miles on it than most of the guys on this forum will have on their next three trucks combined...I put around 500k miles on that little rig. It weighed about 2500 pounds loaded, never had a blowout, never lost a bearing, never had a flat...towed it in midwest blizzards, Texas heat, and southeast hurricanes and everything in between.

While I don't recommend P-series tires, LT tires are perfectly acceptable and legal to run on a trailer if they are within the correct load rating for said trailer...you don't need STs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I really appreciate all the info.! So as I might of mentioned before I’m a GC and 90% of my business comes from bathroom and kitchen remodels, I don’t carry anything in my trailer but my tools, some materials. Not using for cargo or heavy loads. I literally move my trailer from my house to the job site. I’ll leave it there for 1-4 weeks depending on the job then bring it to my house, all my jobs are within a 30 mile radius and I don’t drive it daily per say. Here’s a picture of my last set up where I had a tv and a mini fridge in the front which I remove before selling it.IMG_0677.JPG
I just bought a brand new one and is the one where I want to do those tires. I can see you guys have way more experience on trailer tires, so I really appreciate it.

IMG_0703.JPG
Here’s my new one and I want to blackout the chrome and put those tires in.
Hope this info can give a better idea still leaning towards the mt tires.[emoji41]

Nice trailer!  I've owned a couple of box trailers and wish I still had one!  They are handy to have even if you're  not in the trades!  How are you liking the V-nose?  I've considered a 6' x 12' from Lowe's and they come in regular or V-nose.  There is a $300 price difference.  

Skip the V-nose Donstar. Makes absolutely ZERO difference in fuel economy, and its had to "pack" the trailer with that area being that shape. I have a enclosed 16" tandem axle with the drop down door in the rear.  I love the door, but hate the V-nose. Sitting here thinking about it, I would pay an extra $500.00 on any trailer to not have the V-nose.

Nice trailer!  I've owned a couple of box trailers and wish I still had one!  They are handy to have even if you're  not in the trades!  How are you liking the V-nose?  I've considered a 6' x 12' from Lowe's and they come in regular or V-nose.  There is a $300 price difference.  

First v-nose shape I own, previous 2 were flat I’ve only drove it fir an hr but I can tell a huge difference on the drag. If you drive it very often it’s worth it. I could feel my not even trying to pull..[emoji41]

Archived