Catch cans

Yes, I know this has been covered before and yes I did do the search.  I've read through much of it and it seems they mostly turn into a debate on whether or not they are worth it without much info on the different catch can options.  I'm convinced they are worth it and can do not harm even if it end up not helping anything.  So, please let's stick differences in the options and leave the debate about how useful they are to other threads.

I'm looking for recommendations for a good catch can for a bone stock 2015 5.3 Sierra 1500.  What would you recommend and why?  I see Elite has a couple different options.  Are they any good?  What else is out there?

I researched this in depth before I purchased. I decided on the Elite E2 without Clean Side Separator (CSS). The CSS is primarily for low vacuum events such as towing or a frequent heavy foot. I believe in these things and I get a fair amount of oil in the can which I’m glad isn't on my intake valves. Elite has been around a long time but they all are good and work on the same principle.

Edited by '17 Sierra

Elite or UPR should be your only options. My elite collects lost of crap so you know its working. 

I got the E2, smaller one but spend the money and get the larger can and one that has a drain on the bottom for ease of draining.

They get full quick. Unless you can drill and tap a drain valve like i plan on doing, then the smaller one will work.

You dont really need the cleanside seperator. 

Looked for the "common" oil in the intake and the intake tube when I installed my CAI. No oil or residue present, even after romping around with the CAI, no oil or film noticeable. Until I start taking my truck on track days I probably wont buy one. I will save it for the boosted SBC's that have higher crankcase pressures and require the use of one. 

This is my second GDI GM vehicle.  The first was an 08 Caddy CTS withe the 3.6 V6.   At about 40k miles, I noticed a puddle of oil in the intake tube.  I pulled it off and cleaned it.  While it was off, I notice the TB was oily.   Cleaned that as well.  Looked into the manifold.  It was full of oil.  Pulled the upper intake and cleaned that.  While it was off, I could see the intake valves, they were totally gummed up.  Spent another 2 hours cleaning that up.  I ordered a catch can the next day.  Everything stayed clean after that, at least until I traded it at 111k for this truck.  I used to get about 3-4 ounces of fluid out of the catch can every 4-5k miles.  The fluid was a combination of oil and water vapors so it looked like chocolate milk.

Therefore, I am sold on the need for a catch can on all GDI engines.  The new Fords went to a combination of port and direct inject, my guess is to combat this issue.

My old was was an RX, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

Edited by Mike GMC

I have had the Elite E2 and the UPR on my 2015 Silverado. The UPR catches more oil and the hoses and connections are 10x better than the Elite. I had to replace the Elite hoses due to them collapsing.  If you decide to go with the UPR, there is a UPR vendor on this forum that offers a discount for GM-Trucks.com forum members. The UPR is pricey, but well worth it over the Elite IMO.

• Like 1

I was looking at the UPR online.  Looks like the kit without the CSS is $269 on UPR's site, not terrible.  But if I can get it at a discount, that would be great.  Do you know who to contact?

1 hour ago, Mike GMC said:

This is my second GDI GM vehicle.  The first was an 08 Caddy CTS withe the 3.6 V6.   At about 40k miles, I noticed a puddle of oil in the intake tube.  I pulled it off and cleaned it.  While it was off, I notice the TB was oily.   Cleaned that as well.  Looked into the manifold.  It was full of oil.  Pulled the upper intake and cleaned that.  While it was off, I could see the intake valves, they were totally gummed up.  Spent another 2 hours cleaning that up.  I ordered a catch can the next day.  Everything stayed clean after that, at least until I traded it at 111k for this truck.  I used to get about 3-4 ounces of fluid out of the catch can every 4-5k miles.  The fluid was a combination of oil and water vapors so it looked like chocolate milk.

Therefore, I am sold on the need for a catch can on all GDI engines.  The new Fords went to a combination of port and direct inject, my guess is to combat this issue.

My old was was an RX, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

ahh..Yes, those first 3.6 GDI  is what brought me to BG-Products and the Catch Can.......ugly,ugly.....

14 hours ago, '17 Sierra said:

I researched this in depth before I purchased. I decided on the Elite E2 without Clean Side Separator (CSS). The CSS is primarily for low vacuum events such as towing or a frequent heavy foot. I believe in these things and I get a fair amount of oil in the can which I’m glad isn't on my intake valves. Elite has been around a long time but they all are good and work on the same principle.

This.  I love my elite e2.  I run e85 so I think it tends to produce more moisture.  The e2 does a great job at collecting it.  So much so that I have to empty it every 1500 miles.  Also I noticed I have to add about the 1/2 quart of oil between changes due to the amount of oil it catches. And no my truck isn't burning oil.

That would mean that the catch can somehow is removing oil from the engine that was not already on it's way to the intake, or you engine has worn in a bit has a bit more blow by than it used to.  I don't see how the catch can could possibly suck oil out of the engine, so I'm guessing he latter.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

That would mean that the catch can somehow is removing oil from the engine that was not already on it's way to the intake, or you engine has worn in a bit has a bit more blow by than it used to.  I don't see how the catch can could possibly suck oil out of the engine, so I'm guessing he latter.

No way a catch can will cause oil usage.

Agree with Mike GMC, more engine wear.

:)