Amazon Can Now Deliver Packages To Your 2015 MY Or Newer GM Vehicle

Gorehamj

amazon equinox.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
4-24-2018

General Motors and Amazon have finalized the rollout of a new delivery service that will allow GM owners with OnStar to have their Amazon deliveries placed directly into the trunk or cargo area of their 2015 or newer GM vehicle.  Called Amazon Key In-Car, the service is now available in 37 cities and will rapidly expand. “Partnering with Amazon to leverage our embedded in-vehicle connectivity gives Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac owners the option to conveniently receive deliveries inside their vehicle parked at home, work or near other locations in their Amazon address book,” said Alan Batey, President, General Motors North America. “This is another example of how we provide customers with technologies that add value and enhance the ownership experience.”

Users can track the progress of the package and are notified when it is delivered and locked inside the vehicle.

amazon key graphic.png
“The in-car delivery option is another way Amazon helps ensure that my order is delivered safely and conveniently. Setup was super easy for my OnStar-equipped car—I granted Amazon Key permission to open my car’s trunk and the ability to relock my car when done, and that was it,” said Scott L. from Miami, one of the Amazon Prime members who received early access to the service. “I can’t wait to check my car’s trunk to see what’s delivered next!”

To get started users need only go to Amazon and download the app. If you own a Volvo, you are also eligible for the service. Thus far, only the GM brands and Volvo can take advantage of the service. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Willwhiting85 said:

I wonder if this will be available for an additional charge or be included for free? Seems like a very cool option but since vehicles are rarely in the exact same place all the time, would delivery times vary?

It sounds to me like it would be practical for during the week deliveries in larger metro areas where you might not even make it home until 8-9pm.  Especially if you're using same-day or next-day delivery for an item such as a softball glove for your daughter whom just broke hers that night at practice but has a game the next day and you pick her up from school to drive her to the game (thinking little kids like my own daughter).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garagerog said:

Might be fine for some people, guess I'm just not so trusting for strangers to be peering around the inside of my vehicle.

I agree with this, now my question would be for those of us with bed covers.. could we specify for the person to not enter the cab of the truck but to drop the tailgate, insert said package, and close the tailgate and lock vehicle?  You know, since all trucks have locking tailgates with the door locks nowadays anyways.

Probably couldn’t specify leaving something in a bed cover only bc the delivery person wouldn’t have access to a keyed bed cover. I believe with this onstar connection they will literally be able to unlock the car and then lock it back, no key required only a satellite connection

14 hours ago, Willwhiting85 said:

Probably couldn’t specify leaving something in a bed cover only bc the delivery person wouldn’t have access to a keyed bed cover. I believe with this onstar connection they will literally be able to unlock the car and then lock it back, no key required only a satellite connection

It should work for beds with regular non keyed tonneau covers. Unlock and open the gate, deliver package, close gate and re-lock. 

Edited by Loco-diablo

47 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

It should work for beds with regular non keyed tonneau covers. Unlock and open the gate, deliver package, close gate and re-lock. 

In theory that makes perfect sense. But in application there’s no way they can offer it due to the differences in truck brands and options. All it takes is one guy to feel excluded bc his 1980 Dodge Ram has a bed cover but no power tailgate lock to throw a fit about not being able to get his package dropped in the bed. And if amazon did happen to let it happen. What if that package is removed from the non-locking bed of the 1980 dodge? I totally agree new trucks don’t have this problem but this will probably be applied in such a manner that it can only be locked in vehicle cabs and their reason will be “security”... all just guesses on my part though even though I’d love for them to offer the bed drop to those who would like it!

In theory that makes perfect sense. But in application there’s no way they can offer it due to the differences in truck brands and options. All it takes is one guy to feel excluded bc his 1980 Dodge Ram has a bed cover but no power tailgate lock to throw a fit about not being able to get his package dropped in the bed. And if amazon did happen to let it happen. What if that package is removed from the non-locking bed of the 1980 dodge? I totally agree new trucks don’t have this problem but this will probably be applied in such a manner that it can only be locked in vehicle cabs and their reason will be “security”... all just guesses on my part though even though I’d love for them to offer the bed drop to those who would like it!

I’m not 100% sure, but I’m thinking you can request bed delivery. It’s not available for older vehicles anyway. Right now it’s only supported on 2015 and newer GM onstar and Volvo oncall equipped vehicles so they can remotely unlock and lock the vehicle. No different than requesting the trunk rather than the back seat of a sedan delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this could be a cool idea, but it leaves a lot that can go wrong. I personally wouldn't want to give some Amazon driver access to my car/home, but convenience trumps privacy/security to some people. Although I will say, it seems that there haven't been any issues with the in-home delivery.