Wix 57045 vs 10255

I just did an oil change on my 17' Silverado 5.3 and I got a Wix filter from my local autoparts store and they said it called for a 57045. So i just came home to order a some parts for a jeep my dad is working on from rockauto and decided to order 2 filters for my next oil changes and it says I need 10255 so I checked wix.com and they say 10255, but I see summit racing calls for a 57045. so I'm guessing they are somewhat interchangeable. Is this the case or should i remove the 57045 and replace it will a 10255?

The new wix 10255 and 10255xp just recently replaced the 57045/xp 

The new filter has a higher bypass valve setting of now 22 psi which GM requires/recomends for the new Gen 5 Ecotec engine. 

The filter your using now is ok, and  has a bypass valve setting of  12-15 psi . It will be fine, but start buying the new updated filter.

Edited by 15_silverado
  • Like 2

The different is the bypass setting, the WL10255 is 22 psi.  The 57045 is 15 psi.  Correct is 22.  

Spin-On Oil Filter Replacement

April 5, 2017

The correct match of oil filter to engine application is more important now than ever with the tight tolerances, two stage oil pumps and high flow lubrication requirements of today’s modern engines.

Beginning in 2012, oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump output pressure, which means that the oil pump does not begin to regulate until pressure is built up to the main gallery. This change reduces the amount of time it takes to provide oil to the engine bearing and lifters during extreme cold start conditions.

To meet these new engine operating requirements, the oil filter specifications of production oil filters and service oil filters have been improved. If a replacement oil filter with an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) or less is used, debris could circulate in the engine and cause damage to bearings and other tight tolerances areas, and eventually lead to premature engine failure.

PF64 and PF63 Filters

The PF64 and PF63 (Fig. 20) filters are commonly confused as an ACDelco PF48 and/or PF48E filter because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However, these oil filters are not the same and have different internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications. The PF48/PF48E has a pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) while the PF64/PF63E has a pressure specification of 22 PSI (150 kPa).

Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) to determine the proper part numbers for a replacement oil filter.  If an aftermarket filter is used, it must have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the original production oil filter.

• Like 2

I just installed a Napa Gold 100255 on my 2015 Sierra 5.3, which is the same filter as the Wix 10255. It took some time to convince the guy at my local Napa that the 10255 had replaced the 57045 for applications that called for a 22 psi bypass valve setting. I've read that Fram is planning on updating the Ultra 10575 to a 22 psi bypass valve to satisfy the GM specification.

I understand the new filter specifications. It just baffles me that GM still installs the lower bypass filter , the PF63, on these trucks from the factory. If there so concerned about the lower bypass pressure setting, they why are they shipping out these motors with the older spec filter on. My new 2018 had the older PF63 on new off the lot.

11 hours ago, Crobinson16 said:

I understand the new filter specifications. It just baffles me that GM still installs the lower bypass filter , the PF63, on these trucks from the factory. If there so concerned about the lower bypass pressure setting, they why are they shipping out these motors with the older spec filter on. My new 2018 had the older PF63 on new off the lot.

And why the change in bypass pressure specifications 5 years after the Gen 5 came out?

1 hour ago, arbo34 said:

Would you guys replace the 57045 with a 10255 or is it alright to run it to the next oil change?

I would not change the filter just for the sake of changing it. Run it till the next oil change. There are plenty of trucks out there with 100k on the lower pressure bypass valve. Mine is one of them.

I will be updating my memo on my phone to reflect the new filter number when the next oil change comes up. Thanks for the heads up guys.

1 hour ago, arbo34 said:

Would you guys replace the 57045 with a 10255 or is it alright to run it to the next oil change?

Change it out the next oil change. I have used it since 2014 in 4 trucks now with no issues. Also it is the equivalent of the PF63 that my new truck just came with from the factory.  We are talking only 7 PSI. This happened with the c6 Zo6 also with the PF48 and then they switched to a better PF48E. They made an improvement after some analysis and going forward will be better, but there are hundreds of  thousands of trucks out there NOT blowing up since 2014 with this filter. I actually have a 7045 on the shelf and will use it again till I get the new filter. 

On 5/1/2018 at 8:33 AM, Crobinson16 said:

To exhaust their supply..........

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elcamino said:

To exhaust their supply..........

That may be the case. If they feel it's a consern as far as to cause damage to the engine, then they should be responsible for any oil filtering related damage they can come from using the lower bypass oil filter that they themselves installed from factory and continue to do so .  They say in the bulletin that damage can occur by unfiltered oil passing  debris through the engine. They should offer an extended warranty on the engine due to the fact they have been and continue to use them against there own guide lines.