Joke Thread

diyer2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

This was my job JR. and Senior years of high school, and you had to make change, a credit card was rare.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Gas pump

I work at a Getty service station for 6 months after getting my license. On the rare credit card transactions I go inside to process. It was all mechanical. On a slide with carbon paper and copies were sent in. The user got a carbon copy. Adding a qt was common. Fill ups were rare. So giving change was rare. An average stop was gas, oil check, always windows, sometimes checking air in tires. Gas was 19-25 cents a gallon. That was in 1973 in New Jersey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now you pay more for "full service" just so you don't gave to get off your azz. no matter what the sign says it is not full service. If I owned a station I would still do it that way minus the credit cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

This was my job JR. and Senior years of high school, and you had to make change, a credit card was rare.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Gas pump

I worked at a Hudson station. My first job out of high school. Our uniform was gray and no hat. I liked the job. My older brother at a Purple Martin. I don't ever remember seeing a credit card. 

• Like 1

There was a full service gas station that I passed by once in a while, 30+ cents more a gallon. Also did repairs and the place was full of cars being fixed. 

• Like 2

There are still a few of those around here and any that know what they are doing are balls to the wall busy. Full service is just they pump the gas for you, if you want more you have to ask. The number of these places declines every year due to owners retiring and large corporations buying up the properties and turning them into convenience stores. I was the mechanic at the "corner" gas station for many years in my younger days and saw what the gas suppliers/ property owners put their lessees through. I don't know if they still treat their tenants the same way but it could be brutal! Such as buy 50 tires or pay .10 more a gallon etc. 1 station is now a burger joint and the other is an abandoned convenience store

• Like 2