Potential Buyer

I just wanted to get your opinions on these trucks some of the pros and cons of them over the competition. 

My 2011 Subaru Forester is getting up there in mileage and I’m thinking about trading it in on a new vehicle. I currently have 104,000 on the Subaru and it runs fine for the time being but over the course of its life it’s had the valve covers resealed 5 times and the shortblock was replaced at 92,000 miles. It’s out of warranty and I’m not sure I trust it not to start leaking or burning oil again. 

Before the subaru I had a 2002 Toyota Tundra. I loved having the truck but it was just getting old so I decided to keep the forester instead of the truck when my mom went to trade the forester in. The tundra got 10 mpg which wasn’t great while I was in school. That was the only real complaint I had about the truck. 

That said the only 2 vehicles I’m interested in currently are the 2014-18 Silverado/Sierras and the 2016-18 Toyota Tacomas. I’m leaning towards buying new so I can get the longest warranty possible. I like the tech features that the GM trucks have like Apple Car Play and most come with remote start. It all comes down to if I can get a good deal on a GM truck. I saw over Memorial Day the LT extended cabs were going for between 35 and 36k. I’m assuming they will have another sale for the 4th of July. I’m not in any hurry I just don’t want a 2019. 

Thanks

. Alec

I just purchased a new Silverado during Memorial Day, and I love it. I came from a Honda Ridgeline, and I’m enjoying the Silverado just as much. It’s hard to predict sales, but I’d assume they’d have something significant again. I got a very good deal on my truck. Good luck. 

• Like 1

I bought a 2018 LT Two months ago, think I payed 32,000 or so. So far I love the thing, I've already put 5,000 miles on it and knock on wood, no problems. Getting great gas mileage too (averaging 24.7 since I bought it, but since the weather has warmed up I'm averaging 26).

• Like 1

The GM truck will be more comfortable to drive, not too big to be easily maneuverable, get much better gas mileage.  I’m a Toyota fan, currently own three 4Runners.  Tho they are made in Japan and the Taco isn’t.  You’ll pay about the same for both.   

Both are are good choices.  Drive both a bunch of times.   Get the deals on the table.  Think about next week, next year (while you’re still making payments).  Buy one.  

Good luck.   I’m happy with my truck.  

• Like 1

Check Laura gmc for some of the lowest prices in the nation. Fly in, drive home, they also offer to ship your truck. 

I purchased my loaded SLT (March 2018) for 25% off MSRP. Your local dealer should do at least 20% off. Right now Laura has 16k off 60k Denalis. 

Just an FYI on current deals. You don’t have to wait for holiday sales. 

PM me if you need a sales contact at Laura

And most important update and post pics with whatever Truck you buy!

• Like 1

Why are you getting the opinions of strangers on a forum you just joined on what truck you should get!?!?!  Every vehicle out there these days are made as cheap as possible and sold for the most money as possible.  Get the one that appeals to YOU and suits YOUR needs, not based on the opinions of others.  

• Like 1

The fullsize will be smoother riding and more lux, but the more features the more that can go wrong eventually. I found those long lasting asian cars of the past were very sparse feature wise, and as tech has ramped up, reliability has decreased. Either will last a long time, but deals are to be had on the gms right now. If my 5 1/2 year old avalanche wasnt still mint, I would be all over these 2018 deals right now. Just for perspective - local dealer sent me a 1k off best deal offer, and my gm card has 3k added to it. I could probably get close to 20k off sticker! I just cant trade a perfect paid off truck. I probably wont ever get rid of it...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tnchevy said:

Why are you getting the opinions of strangers on a forum you just joined on what truck you should get!?!?!  Every vehicle out there these days are made as cheap as possible and sold for the most money as possible.  Get the one that appeals to YOU and suits YOUR needs, not based on the opinions of others.  

Pretty ignorant statement don't ya think?  Having people Chime in who owned a 2014+ plus Tacoma and went to Full-size or Full size back to Tacoma etc.  Heck I have a guy at work bought a brand new Tacoma 2016 new body dumped it few months later and bought 2015 Tacoma and ironically traded in a 2014 Tacoma for the 2016?  Guess what he liked the truck except the Trans/engine.......bothered him so bad he unloaded it?  Yes, if you use cruise on new Tacoma 1% incline will have that stupid machine kick down and REV UP!

How else is this person going to know these stupid idiosyncrasies on these trucks without asking?  Please...go be a P-R-I-C-K somewhere else..................... 

• Like 2

Welcome to this forum! I echo tnchevy's advice.  A full-sized truck is a significantly different vehicle than your current Subaru.  Visit GM, Ford, RAM, Nissan and Toyota dealerships and take some test-drives.  A pickup truck can be quite cumbersome with a lot of unusable space in the back when compared to a smaller SUV.   I know you've driven pickups in the past but there will still be a significant adjustment.   I personally prefer GM full-sized pickups as my daily driver.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Pretty ignorant statement don't ya think?  Having people Chime in who owned a 2014+ plus Tacoma and went to Full-size or Full size back to Tacoma etc.  Heck I have a guy at work bought a brand new Tacoma 2016 new body dumped it few months later and bought 2015 Tacoma and ironically traded in a 2014 Tacoma for the 2016?  Guess what he liked the truck except the Trans/engine.......bothered him so bad he unloaded it?  Yes, if you use cruise on new Tacoma 1% incline will have that stupid machine kick down and REV UP!

How else is this person going to know these stupid idiosyncrasies on these trucks without asking?  Please...go be a P-R-I-C-K somewhere else..................... 

What's the problem Mook.

He voiced his opinion like the others.

3 hours ago, tnchevy said:

:)

adock22096

Just approach the one you want to buy understanding it is not a car. It's still a truck and has to meet the requirements to be a truck. All the electronics are nice but it still has a stiff suspension to carry heavy loads and tow good size weights. It is not a Cadillac. These trucks are very quiet and get very good gas mileage. I have found the performance to be excellent and have not experienced any of the major problems some on here have mentioned. Test drive it thoroughly and then make up your mind. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DONWT15 said:

adock22096

Just approach the one you want to buy understanding it is not a car. It's still a truck and has to meet the requirements to be a truck. All the electronics are nice but it still has a stiff suspension to carry heavy loads and tow good size weights. It is not a Cadillac. These trucks are very quiet and get very good gas mileage. I have found the performance to be excellent and have not experienced any of the major problems some on here have mentioned. Test drive it thoroughly and then make up your mind. 

My cousin has a 2017 that we took up to Erie and I fell in love with it. The seats were comfortable, ride was smooth, and I’m not tall so I appreciated the steps in the rear bumper. 

17 minutes ago, adock22096 said:

My cousin has a 2017 that we took up to Erie and I fell in love with it. The seats were comfortable, ride was smooth, and I’m not tall so I appreciated the steps in the rear bumper. 

Good luck on finding one you like!

Not tall is ok. I use a step stool to check the oil. Darn dipstick is down low and I can't reach it over the top of the fender.:lol:

• Like 1