Longevity

I was way out in the mountains this morning, came across an old farmer, complete with overalls, hat, etc. who was pulling his tractor with his old (late 70's?) F250.  Looked decent, did the job.  I started wondering, will my 2018 GMC 1500 make it that far?????  Conservatively, say his was a 1980, that is 38 years.  I should have taken a pic, sorry.

Thoughts?

I was way out in the mountains this morning, came across an old farmer, complete with overalls, hat, etc. who was pulling his tractor with his old (late 70's?) F250.  Looked decent, did the job.  I started wondering, will my 2018 GMC 1500 make it that far?????  Conservatively, say his was a 1980, that is 38 years.  I should have taken a pic, sorry.

Thoughts?

Considering the amount of electronics and computers in today's vehicles, I don't think many of them will survive that long. It's not going to be a simple take off and bolt on a metal part and things are working again. It's going to be looking for scrap processors and chips from junk trucks to replace them when they break. Or maybe third party companies will be willing to provide services and parts but who knows.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b00001 said:

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, there’s no chance in that, due to engineered-in, planned mechanical and electrical obsolescence. If you roll into a GM dealer in 2038 (provided the General hasn’t gone bankrupt again twice more by then), needing parts or service on your 2018 truck, you’ll get the same shrugs and looks from the 22 year old technicians (“those parts are not available after 10 years, and that generation of software is no longer used—we can’t even hook up to your truck to see what is wrong!”) as I do when I take my manual-transmission, carbureted, no-computer, ‘79 Trans Am in now. You’d have thought that I’d ridden Dino the dinosaur in there. Nobody in my dealer’s shop can even drive a manual transmission anymore. 

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 2

Considering the amount of electronics and computers in today's vehicles, I don't think many of them will survive that long. It's not going to be a simple take off and bolt on a metal part and things are working again. It's going to be looking for scrap processors and chips from junk trucks to replace them when they break. Or maybe third party companies will be willing to provide services and parts but who knows.

Never going to happen, neighbor has an 07 gmc serviced at dealership often and if we do find ourselves having that happen and that’s the case then it’ll kill GMs customer loyalty as well as their sales but then, parts will all be cheaper buying from other suppliers rather than the dealership [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything said above is spot on. This is what happens to German cars, too much stuff to go wrong and when it does 10-15 years later its not worth owning. I do think the last generation LS trucks up to 2013 will be around going strong. They are the strong reliable simple easy truck. This generation although better in so many ways have too many issues and moving parts. I am on my 4th one in this generation and I won't keep one out of warranty. They suck. Look at Harley Davidson. My friend brought in a 2001 Roadking recently and they told him they didn't have anyone there who knew how to service it?? They refused service and explained they just do newer bikes? Shocking. 

Everything said above is spot on. This is what happens to German cars, too much stuff to go wrong and when it does 10-15 years later its not worth owning. I do think the last generation LS trucks up to 2013 will be around going strong. They are the strong reliable simple easy truck. This generation although better in so many ways have too many issues and moving parts. I am on my 4th one in this generation and I won't keep one out of warranty. They suck. Look at Harley Davidson. My friend brought in a 2001 Roadking recently and they told him they didn't have anyone there who knew how to service it?? They refused service and explained they just do newer bikes? Shocking. 
How are you on your 4th?

I have no doubt that my '15 has just as much potential longevity as any of the pickups I owned in the '70's. Back then we'd also scoff at the prospect of these "newer" trucks ever being eligible for vintage plates!  

• Like 1

Don’t agree, there will always be products available if there are consumers looking for them, whether original manufacturer or after market, besides, it’s a multi billion dollar industry supplying parts for the longest lasting vehicles on the road. Parts manufacturers look at vehicle sales, flooding the markets with accessories and parts. As far as the Harley, you can find mechanics all day long in and around industrial areas within major metropolitan cities. Asian bikes tend to have much more [emoji90] on them and you can find parts all day long for them too, the market is flooding with accessories and oem parts.

It’s all about supply and demand, supply and demand.

• Like 1

Btw, German car parts are extremely easy to find in Germany much has to do with its country of origin. Besides, Americans are building much better vehicles now a days with much higher customer satisfaction ratings then previous years. I shipped my brothers 2016 convertible Cobra Mustang overseas and he sent it back recently cause he was finding himself ordering parts from the country of origin, USA! Chevy, GMC like so many others out there have enormous fan based support and literally will never run out of parts. Good night, God Bless and don’t forget to count your blessings you live in The USA [emoji631]

Lots of good Points and Counterpoints here guys, thank you for the conversation!  I guess time will tell but I am leaning on the side that while it may still be going there will be a constant pain to diagnose and replace whatever module melted down or wire that vibrated loose.  I have owned roughly 10 Chevy/GMC trucks from the 90's on and I appreciate the advancements of every year.  My '17 and now this '18 drive great, extremely quiet and comfortable driving experience.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I disagree with the thought of these things not lasting, not being able to find parts, etc. There has been roughly 3 million of these trucks sold in America alone over the last five years, and that's not including GMC...you can add another 1.2 million right there. Has anyone heard of the internet? You'll be able to find parts for a very very long time. 

I dont know how reliable these things will be long term, but they seem simple enough to work on. Hell even if your AFM system craps out it's not that hard to remove the heads on these things and work on them. It's not some double overhead cam engine with phasers, guides, tensioners, and plenty of other things to worry about BEFORE you even take the manifold and heads off. 

We're not talking about turbo charged V6's here folks. 

Edited by Doublebase
  • Like 1

I’d rather have a turbo charge V6 than cylinder deactivation. There’s where the problems will be. I got rid of my 14 when the warranty was done because of cylinder deactivation.

6 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’d rather have a turbo charge V6 than cylinder deactivation. There’s where the problems will be. I got rid of my 14 when the warranty was done because of cylinder deactivation.

Worst case if AFM problems crop up ......open it up and do a delete kit .