So a little background to my truck. It's a '14 Silverado with the 5.3 and 3.08 rear end (I know, I know), at the time of purchase I was unaware of what that rear end number meant.  My dad upgraded from his '01 Silverado to a new '18 Sierra and the throttle response on the new trucks have been fixed or perhaps his 3.42 makes that much difference. A canned tune is probably fine for me but I would like the option to possibly change rear gears down the line. Anyhow, I have been giving serious thought about tuning the truck for improved throttle response but was unsure about the different tuners and what they offer. Where is the best place to try and compare different tuners and features of each one? I am aware of the risk associated with tuning the truck but after driving his, I really don't want to hold onto mine with this pathetic throttle response even with the paint stick wedged behind the bracket. Also is there a way to tell if perhaps the dealership may have tuned it before they sold it with a lifetime powertrain warranty? That thought has crossed my mind once or twice but am unsure of how to find out. Thank you all in advance.

Also, I get to hold onto the old truck for now :) Love driving that one!

3C07C5DA-0B5A-4AE6-8A94-7963FA6E303D.jpeg

• Like 2

As for tunes,  Black Bear Performance is the most popular one on here and they can to wonders for your truck.  The hand held tuners are ok I guess, I don't have any experience with them.  With BBP you can change what ever you want on the truck and they will adjust the tune for free. So if you go to a different set of gears and tire sizes they can adjust for that.

Their tune made a huge difference on my 02 Silverado and these newer trucks it makes even more of a difference.  You will not regret it.  You can contact them on here, they are a site sponsor.

• Like 2

Don’t I have to send in the ECM to them or swap it out for that? 

Nope, you buy an autocal programmer from them. You do some datalogging send it to Blackbear they make up a tune for you email it back and you install it with the autocal. If you go on there website it will explain everything. 

• Like 1

I have the Trifecta Elite tune for my 2018 and I love it.  You buy the tune from them and download it onto your laptop, and they send you a obd-II cable.  Once you have the cable, you can load the tune from you laptop.  You can also go back to stock as the loader saves a copy of your factory tune.  I currently have the tune loaded that disables the AFM when it's in Sport mode.

My favorite feature of the Trifecta tune is that it has 2 different modes that you can change on the fly, Eco and Sport.  I drive 95% in Eco mode and only use Sport mode when I want to break the tires loose. 

https://www.trifectaperformance.com/forums/store/product/2202-2014-2018-chevrolet-silverado-53l-elite/

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Wayne3593 said:

So a little background to my truck. It's a '14 Silverado with the 5.3 and 3.08 rear end (I know, I know), at the time of purchase I was unaware of what that rear end number meant.  My dad upgraded from his '01 Silverado to a new '18 Sierra and the throttle response on the new trucks have been fixed or perhaps his 3.42 makes that much difference. A canned tune is probably fine for me but I would like the option to possibly change rear gears down the line. Anyhow, I have been giving serious thought about tuning the truck for improved throttle response but was unsure about the different tuners and what they offer. Where is the best place to try and compare different tuners and features of each one? I am aware of the risk associated with tuning the truck but after driving his, I really don't want to hold onto mine with this pathetic throttle response even with the paint stick wedged behind the bracket. Also is there a way to tell if perhaps the dealership may have tuned it before they sold it with a lifetime powertrain warranty? That thought has crossed my mind once or twice but am unsure of how to find out. Thank you all in advance.

We would tune your vehicle via our AutoCal. It is all done via email, and allows us to see your vehicle data. You can also tune multiple GM vehicles with it (purchase additional tune and license), put your vehicle back to factory settings,  and receive free tune updates for as long as you own the vehicle.

Here is a link to the AutoCal on our website http://store.blackbearperformance.com/EFILive-AutoCal-Tuning-System_p_8.html

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Edited by BlackBearPerf

Have you put the paint stick under the gas pedal? Not being funny either lol. There is so much play on these models you have to damn near smash the gas pedal to get this big truck to go lol. But other than that I went with the Stage 1 kit from diablo. Edge Jammer CAi and Diablo i3 Intune. I'm very impressed with it. I have a 6" lift 22"rims and 35" tires and have no problems making them bark....currently getting around 14mpg too mostly city driving

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yea I’ve had the paint stick behind the asssmbly bracket for a few years now. It still has a very noticeable amount of throttle input before the thing starts to move.

I’ve heard people give very high praise to black bear but thought I had read something about an ECM change but I guess I either read wrong or that was another company. I do like the idea of a custom tune, especially since I’m wanting to do a cat back system on it. 

I’ve gone through bully dog, custom dunk tube and an edge tuner.  Out of the 3 the custom tune was the best.  However, good ole gm resenting my pcm to stock and me being moved around a lot killed that for me.  The edge is night and day better than the bully dog.  Feels really nice in all out performance but it makes the transmission shift so hard just cruising I end up taking it back to stock with gears and tires moved to what they are now quite a bit.  The plus side I can change it in 3-4 minutes and go from one mode to the next.

Barman84 Custom Tune is from who? or is it Custom Dunk Tune?

Diablosport

On 6/25/2018 at 10:40 AM, BlackBearPerf said:

We would tune your vehicle via our AutoCal. It is all done via email, and allows us to see your vehicle data. You can also tune multiple GM vehicles with it (purchase additional tune and license), put your vehicle back to factory settings,  and receive free tune updates for as long as you own the vehicle.

Here is a link to the AutoCal on our website http://store.blackbearperformance.com/EFILive-AutoCal-Tuning-System_p_8.html

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Do you need a laptop/PC to install this tune? Not too computer savvy, lol

9 minutes ago, Steven Muraoka said:

Do you need a laptop/PC to install this tune? Not too computer savvy, lol

You will only need to use a laptop or desktop with Windows, to send and receive your tune files via email. You will not need it in the vehicle.

To record vehicle data, flash tune files, and read out tune files from the vehicle, you would plug the AutoCal into the OBDII port.