Adding GM factory trailer brake controller

1 hour ago, pgamboa said:

Nope. Not yet. Module still with WAMS. No free time :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free time? Nope, that’s time you’re essentially paying for! Can’t wait to hear the good news....I mean confirmation that I’ll be spending more money on another upgrade!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
since I haven't seen a pgamboa video about this subject on YT, I assume it's still a touch further down on the upgrade list..

Yup. WAMS has my cluster and TBCM and CCM. Still trying to get them to communicate.

• Like 1

Yup. WAMS has my cluster and TBCM and CCM. Still trying to get them to communicate.

It seems bizarre to me that GM would make something like this so complicated when an aftermarket box can be added so simply (at the cost of major aesthetic points).

Especially when it seems every vehicle with any of the tow package RPOs appear to have the all the hardware to make it happen.. (save the dash switch).

16 hours ago, rbrjr1 said:

It seems bizarre to me that GM would make something like this so complicated when an aftermarket box can be added so simply (at the cost of major aesthetic points).

Especially when it seems every vehicle with any of the tow package RPOs appear to have the all the hardware to make it happen.. (save the dash switch).

Yep.  There are 2-3 modules that are specifically for trailer brake.  So those items are omitted...even though some of the dash harnessing is present.  

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2019 at 7:03 PM, az-4x4 said:

Looks like it can be done now. I'll be trying this out in a month or two.

This is for a replacement, not adding something that wasn't there before.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:17 AM, rbrjr1 said:

Not bizarre, it's INTEGRATED whereas the other ones are not.  One gets features not usually available with an aftermarket controller, especially from 2012 on. 

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to... My RV that I would be towing does NOT have ABS brakes, but the truck would have (most likely, as I am currently without a truck). 

The question is... would the integrated TBC have any advantage over say an aftermarket TBC if the truck I purchased did not have it installed from the factory?

On 4/12/2020 at 10:44 AM, No Tyme said:

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to... My RV that I would be towing does NOT have ABS brakes, but the truck would have (most likely, as I am currently without a truck). 

The question is... would the integrated TBC have any advantage over say an aftermarket TBC if the truck I purchased did not have it installed from the factory?

Yes, check the owner's manual of the truck you're looking at for specifics.  ITBC controls sway and the brakes on the trailer during sway for example.

• 1 month later...

Stock controller can't be added later which is lame ...I went with the Redarc controller too, for the remote control ...here's my version

IMG_20200401_181503.jpg

Edited by Pinky Z71

• 2 months later...

Gents, at the risk of being sounding dense.  I want to confirm that i cannot just purchase and plug in the new dash piece and controller head?  I bought a tekonsha and was wiring it up and took my dash apart and lo and behold theres the harness for it!  The presense of the harness does not prove that im good to go?

1 hour ago, Necroman99 said:

Gents, at the risk of being sounding dense.  I want to confirm that i cannot just purchase and plug in the new dash piece and controller head?  I bought a tekonsha and was wiring it up and took my dash apart and lo and behold theres the harness for it!  The presense of the harness does not prove that im good to go?

Welcome to the site.

No sir, the brake controller is a factory option, and is set up in the ECU, BCM, and so on, it can not be added after the fact.