Trans Fluid is burnt... Change it?

Ive got a 98 K1500 with the 4L60e.  After 190,000 miles I had some issues towing a trailer.  The trans slipped pretty bad when it tried to shift to overdrive.  I manually shifted it back to 3rd and it does fine.  The trans fluid has definitely smells burnt and is not quite as bright red as it should be.  Now I know that changing it in a worn out transmission can make it worse.  (less friction material).  This truck just has to get me until December.  Im leaning towards not changing it but what does everyone else think?

It is a 50/50 shot.  I have changed fluid on high mileage vehicles with not issues and then I have change it on some and the transmission went out with in the next 1,000 miles.  It just depends on how bad it is worn. 

Has the fluid ever been changed?  If it has in the past then you might be safe.  If it is the original fluid, you are on borrowed time.

Changing fluid will not repair a burned set of clutches or fix a leaking valve body seal ring. Burned fluid will not properly lubricate what's left of the gear box either. Boxes that crash a 1,000 miles after a simple drop and fill would have failed in 500 without it. Power flushing a damaged box is a certain killer. Stir up the debris the send it though the valve body. What can people be thinking?

Drop and fill then baby it until you can fix it right. Clean the pan squeaky clean OFF the truck. There is no shortcut.   

Its had fairly regular maintenance in the past.  The past owner changed it around 30,000 miles ago.  I also have receipts of it being done before that as well.  I might try changing it.  I assume the filter should be changed as well.  

43 minutes ago, Logan Lanfear said:

Its had fairly regular maintenance in the past.  The past owner changed it around 30,000 miles ago.  I also have receipts of it being done before that as well.  I might try changing it.  I assume the filter should be changed as well.  

Since you have a maintenance history I would go ahead and drop the pan, change the filter, clean everything up really well, especially the magnet and put dexron VI back in it.  You might be OK but only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I changed it and it had about 700 miles put on since.  Shifts fine still and havnt had any issues with slipping.  I think It helped but who knows.  It could blow up tomorrow.  It could have blown up already if I didnt change it.  Sadly, there isnt a way of knowing.