Auto 4x4 Noise

Anyone else have gear/rotational noise when driving on dry pavement in Auto 4x4. Only makes noise when I give it gas.

I launched in Auto and now I'm wondering if I blew up the clutch packs. Actually I'm pretty sure I screwed something up, auto should be quite......

1 hour ago, M1ck3y said:

Anyone else have gear/rotational noise when driving on dry pavement in Auto 4x4. Only makes noise when I give it gas.

I launched in Auto and now I'm wondering if I blew up the clutch packs. Actually I'm pretty sure I screwed something up, auto should be quite......

Every GM truck I have owned, going back to the GMT 800  2000 years with the Autotrac  made a noise when engaged, especially under throttle.

I think it is normal based on my experience.  Although I will say that my '14 sierra Auto 4wd is quieter than the previous generation trucks I have owned.

You should still be under warranty with a '17 model. You Might go by a dealer and have them check it out if there is a concern.

2 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

They all make a whining noise

I’ve launched it in auto4 atleast 100 times. It can take it all day long.

33 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Every GM truck I have owned, going back to the GMT 800  2000 years with the Autotrac  made a noise when engaged, especially under throttle.

I think it is normal based on my experience.  Although I will say that my '14 sierra Auto 4wd is quieter than the previous generation trucks I have owned.

You should still be under warranty with a '17 model. You Might go by a dealer and have them check it out if there is a concern.

Thanks, strangely enough it doesn't seem to be making as much noise anymore. Unless your listening for it and compare it to two wheel can you tell. Really weird, because it did sound terrible/very noticeable after the run. Even after disengaging and re-engaging a couple of times.

If I had blown it up would I have not gotten a code saying 4 wheel drive couldn't engage?

Wasn't a whining noise, sounded like metal on metal rotational noise. Kind of ticking, I could physically feel it as much as I heard it. but now it seems to have toned down.

Maybe somehow it got stuck in 4wheel? Because I could believe 4hi would sound like that on pavement.

Edited by M1ck3y

At what speed can u engage or u have to stop and then engage?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I believe it’s 15mph or under but I can’t remember for sure. It’s in the owners Manuel. Unless you’re trying to go into 4lo then you have to be stopped and in neutral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, MY164X4 said:

At what speed can u engage or u have to stop and then engage?

According to the owner's manual you can shift into 4wd at any speed with a manual transfer case.

With the electronic transfer case you can shift into 4hi at speeds up to 75mph.

With the automatic transfer case the owner's manual also says you can shift into 4AWD and 4HI at any speed.

• Like 1

Any speed interesting

According to the owner's manual you can shift into 4wd at any speed with a manual transfer case.

With the electronic transfer case you can shift into 4hi at speeds up to 75mph.

With the automatic transfer case the owner's manual also says you can shift into 4AWD and 4HI at any speed.

Just now, MY164X4 said:

Any speed interesting

My thoughts exactly. Personally, I'd prefer shifting at a lower speed (like 15mph or less) as that is what I have always been told, but according to GM you can shift it at any speed. Now I would be comfortable shifting into 4AWD at higher speed, I still probably wouldn't shift into it above 45mph. I have nothing to base that off of, that's just how I feel about it. 

• Like 1