Stevan’s new Silverado

Stevan

Hi guys,

I’m new on this forum, as far as posting goes, but I’ve found some amazing information, so I’ve decided to share my new truck.

Its a 2018 Silverado WT Blackout Edition 5.3L.  Had it for just over two weeks and it’s a great truck.  Used to drive a 2015 BMW but it was getting hard to pickup 2x4s in it. 

This is the first truck I owned and initially I wanted to purchase a used one (2016-2017) but the discounts and 0% financing on the 2018s was too much.  Most places here offered 4-6% financing on used trucks, which over a few years means thousands in interest fees.  

I went for the WT model because it came right under my budget of $40K.

So far I’ve had the following added to it:

Linex bed coating

Tyger Bed cover

9-piece Bullring set

Husky floor liners

Ez assist for lowering of tailgate

I would also like to add a remote starter before our winter sets in but I haven’t found enough info on whether the GM stock one will intergrate with OnStar so I can star it with my phone.  

2F243642-19D3-4C1C-90F1-6FAAF371192D.jpeg

7F0DAFA4-310C-4777-880C-30D913243686.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Welcome to this forum!  I don't know the answer to your phone start question, but factory remote start from the key fob works great.  Which area of Canada?

I’m in Regina.

I’ve been on the phone with several dealerships about car starters.  The dealership wants $350 for parts and install of an OEM starter, although I’m sure I could do the install myself.  

They also told me that OnStar doesn’t support the addition of parts, so if the VIN that was registered to OnStar says no starter, adding a starter would not make it intergrate with OnStar and using the phone to start it.

This would be my ideal situation, or maybe an aftermarket one from Viper.  

7 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

Does Viper offer a phone app?

The OEM fob has pretty good range to it. How far away do you park?

Congratulations on the truck man! Looks SHARP! :thumbs:

Thanks man!  It’s the only vehicle I bought and no buyers remorse.

I believe Viper has a pretty good app with unlimited range since it’s LTE.  And I think it’s the only solution, as far as I know, that can be used with Siri, so you can tell your iPhone to start your car.  

The OEM one is probably the easiest to install but I heard mixed things about the range.  I pack about 300-500ft away from the building.  

9 hours ago, Stevan said:

I’m in Regina.

I’ve been on the phone with several dealerships about car starters.  The dealership wants $350 for parts and install of an OEM starter, although I’m sure I could do the install myself.  

They also told me that OnStar doesn’t support the addition of parts, so if the VIN that was registered to OnStar says no starter, adding a starter would not make it intergrate with OnStar and using the phone to start it.

I'm on Vancouver Island and my days of needing a remote start are far fewer than my family in Saskatchewan!  If $350 includes the two OEM fobs and the remote function works like from the factory, I would just get it done at my dealer.  That way if there are any issues, it's their problem.  The phone app issue is unfortunate but my keys are usually just as accessible as my phone.  I wouldn't need an app but understand if this is a dealbreaker for you.

16 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I'm on Vancouver Island and my days of needing a remote start are far fewer than my family in Saskatchewan!  If $350 includes the two OEM fobs and the remote function works like from the factory, I would just get it done at my dealer.  That way if there are any issues, it's their problem.  The phone app issue is unfortunate but my keys are usually just as accessible as my phone.  I wouldn't need an app but understand if this is a dealbreaker for you.

You're right about that one, and it's the option I'm leaning towards.  $350 is pretty good price too.

6 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I see the problem.  Key fob starting will be fine when home but potentially problematic at work!

Exactly.  And I'm a bit of a nerd buying into the whole automation industry.  

I like the OnStar and their cheapest plan offers remote start but whether they would sync up with the added remote start or not is a big question.

10 hours ago, Stevan said:

I’m in Regina.

The OEM one, installed by the dealer (they at least have to do the programming) will get it to work with OnStar.  When the dealer calls in to GM with the authorization code in the remote start kit, GM authorizes the reprogram on the VIN to function with remote start, and then OnStar gets data updates every 10-14 days.  Once they see an update on your truck with factory remote added, it will work with the remote. 

1 minute ago, newdude said:

The OEM one, installed by the dealer (they at least have to do the programming) will get it to work with OnStar.  When the dealer calls in to GM with the authorization code in the remote start kit, GM authorizes the reprogram on the VIN to function with remote start, and then OnStar gets data updates every 10-14 days.  Once they see an update on your truck with factory remote added, it will work with the remote. 

I believe you but is there a way to get this confirmed?

I'm definitely taking a screenshot of this and taking it into the dealership, the guys there are friendly but I don't think they've worked there long enough to know all the details of this installation process.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I believe you but is there a way to get this confirmed?

I'm definitely taking a screenshot of this and taking it into the dealership, the guys there are friendly but I don't think they've worked there long enough to know all the details of this installation process.

Do you one better.  GM's official wording on it:

#16-NA-355 (the bulletin # your dealer can pull this up in GM Service Info): Information on Using MyBuick, MyCadillac, MyChevrolet, and MyGMC Phone Applications to Control GM Accessory Remote Start Kits - (Apr 18, 2017)

Involved Region or Country - North America

Condition:

Historically, MyBuick, MyCadillac, MyChevrolet, MyGMC, and OnStar® RemoteLink phone applications would not work on vehicles that had a GM accessory remote start kit installed. To provide a better customer experience, GM recently developed an automated process to activate the MyBuick, MyCadillac, MyChevrolet and MyGMC phone applications.

Whenever a customer purchases a GM accessory remote start kit, has it installed on any of the vehicles listed above, and has their vehicle programmed to activate the remote start, the related VIN is added to a list which is feed to the OnStar team on a weekly basis. Within 10 days of vehicle programming, the OnStar team then enters all of this VIN info into their database, which will automatically enable the MyBuick, MyCadillac, MyChevrolet, MyGMC phone applications once the customer downloads them to their device, opens an account, and accepts terms and conditions.

Important: An active OnStar subscription is required.

As described above, the MyBuick, MyCadillac, MyChevrolet, and MyGMC phone applications should typically be ready for use within 10 days of having the vehicle programmed and GM accessory remote start kit activated. If the customer downloads the MyBuick, MyCadillac, MyChevrolet or MyGMC phone application and finds that they cannot operate the remote start system with any of these phone applications, it is important to confirm that at least 10 days have passed since the date of vehicle programming just to ensure that sufficient time has passed for the phone app activation process to take place. 

If they have waited at least 10 days and the phone application still does not operate the GM accessory remote start kit, the customer should contact OnStar by pressing the blue OnStar button or a Connection Center Advisor (877-558-8352) to have the phone application manually activated.

Edited by newdude