Shock Install Questions

I bought Bilstein 5100s for my truck and preparing for the install, the rears are easy but have a question about the fronts. Can I leave the coil n strut assembly on the truck, unbolt the top strut bolt and bottom 2 bolts and just replace it that way without having to remove the whole assembly? I saw a YouTube video where he did it on an older Silverado but want to make sure I can do it on a 14+ truck.

38 minutes ago, DenisTheMenace said:

I bought Bilstein 5100s for my truck and preparing for the install, the rears are easy but have a question about the fronts. Can I leave the coil n strut assembly on the truck, unbolt the top strut bolt and bottom 2 bolts and just replace it that way without having to remove the whole assembly? I saw a YouTube video where he did it on an older Silverado but want to make sure I can do it on a 14+ truck.

The answer is NO.

You must compress the springs to take the top hat nut off and reinstall the new shock into the Spring/Strut.

I recommend taking the whole unit to a shop that can safely compress the spring.

Just now, AJMBLAZER said:

That’s how I did mine. Make sure you have a good set of spring compressors.

NOT the crap from Harbor Freight. 

No Way. José 

As the guys said, You have to disassemble the whole strut assembly

Be careful when compressing the springs

Good Call with the 5100s, its the best shock you can buy for the money for a stock suspension geometry, i love mine

When you get the unit out of the truck take it to a professional!

Others here have done this compression themselves with success.

Some have said it was "Hairy"

Someone needs to invent an industrial compressor loaner.

Something safer and beefier than what Auto parts loaners or harbor offer.

• Like 1

What’s no way?

Take the strut assembly off, compress the spring, undo the top nut, take the mount and coil off, put coil and mount on Bilstein, tighten top nut, reinstall assembly on truck, take clamps off, tighten mounting bolts and lower bolt. 

Viola!

11 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

What’s no way?

Swaping the Shock without taking everything else apart

11 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Take the strut assembly off, compress the spring, undo the top nut, take the mount and coil off, put coil and mount on Bilstein, tighten top nut, reinstall assembly on truck, take clamps off, tighten mounting bolts and lower bolt. 

Viola!

Wee Wee, Mesieh 

Edited by VdellaV

9 minutes ago, VdellaV said:

Swaping the Shock without taking everything else apart

Wee Wee, Mesieh 

Well, if you want to do it the hard way that’s your option. Just not the only or best option for anyone with decent skills and good tools. 

24 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

When you get the unit out of the truck take it to a professional!

Others here have done this compression themselves with success.

Some have said it was "Hairy"

Someone needs to invent an industrial compressor loaner.

Something safer and beefier than what Auto parts loaners or harbor offer.

Replacing the front shocks on my 2014 was the scariest, most unnerving thing I have done while working on a car/truck.  I had 4 spring compressors on mine, under a moving blanket, aimed at a the back wall of the garage.  Next time, they go to a shop.

16 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Replacing the front shocks on my 2014 was the scariest, most unnerving thing I have done while working on a car/truck.  I had 4 spring compressors on mine, under a moving blanket, aimed at a the back wall of the garage.  Next time, they go to a shop.

My Thoughts Exactly! :thumbs:

As others mentioned you do need to remove the entire assembly.  That video is of an older model where the spring sits inbetween the frame and the control arm.  IF you have the proper tools it is no big deal to compress the spring and put it on the new shock assembly.  I was not worried one bit during my swap.