HD Reverse Cam Options?

I searched but came up empty.. has anyone upgraded (or seen a direct fit available) the pos OEM reverse cam with a decent HD version? I just assumed that the camera lens in the tailgate was dirty when I test drove the truck at the dealership.. nope, the resolution really is that bad.

I 100% agree with you. The camera is garbage quality. I suspected the same as you and even removed my camera from the tailgate, cleaned everything and reinstalled it. Garbage quality. 

As for an "HD" upgrade, if you want to keep things factory you're pretty much SOL. The camera sends a signal over a single component wire. I'm not sure if you can even buy higher quality sensors to drop in. The screen isn't even a high definition display, but even if we could get a SD upgrade that wasn't so awful I'd take it. 

If anyone has an aftermarket option or has any info regarding upgrading the current version I would also love to hear it! Thanks. 

Nothing easy.... And gm has been using the same shitty low def camera for awhile! No diff between the 15, 17, or 18 model years of and tier truck. The people that say their cameras have good pictures haven't experienced a true hi def afterarket camera! The pioneer I installed on my 2011 was a million times better then the GM camera, and it cost me 90 bucks.

I 100% agree with you. The camera is garbage quality. I suspected the same as you and even removed my camera from the tailgate, cleaned everything and reinstalled it. Garbage quality. 

As for an "HD" upgrade, if you want to keep things factory you're pretty much SOL. The camera sends a signal over a single component wire. I'm not sure if you can even buy higher quality sensors to drop in. The screen isn't even a high definition display, but even if we could get a SD upgrade that wasn't so awful I'd take it. 

If anyone has an aftermarket option or has any info regarding upgrading the current version I would also love to hear it! Thanks. 
I extended a second oem camera tht i use on back of my tt. There r 6 wires for my year. 12v +, -/ camera + n - / reverse+ n -. U can take any aftermarket camera and splice it in, some does make a adapter for aftermarket. Only quest is how to mount in tailgate.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It is not just GM.

The backup camera in my wife's '16 Nissan is even worse.

Every penny the automakers save by cutting corners on their products further increases profits

and in turn leaves us (the consumer) knocking on the door of aftermarket upgrades.

It is a win win for the automaker and aftemarket.......but a loss for us.

13 hours ago, cmysstailights said:

Yellow wire is camera +, brown is camera neg. Red is 12v+ and purple is reverse 12v+ if i remember right. The 2 grounds are not seperate, they splice together in the harness to 1 black wire.

thanks for the info.. started exploring aftermarket options today with better resolution that meet the same form factor size as the GM original

thanks for the info.. started exploring aftermarket options today with better resolution that meet the same form factor size as the GM original
Let me know if u find a good 1. I already made the plug to hook up to the distribution block, only thing i would have to figure out is just how to swap out the camera.

I noticed the backup camera is awful on my 18 Silverado. The one on my 17 Malibu is clearer. Damn shame they skimped on that considering these types of cameras aren’t super expensive these days. You see 4K dashcams for $140. You’d think they could get a 480P camera at least.

5 hours ago, cmysstailights said:

Let me know if u find a good 1. I already made the plug to hook up to the distribution block, only thing i would have to figure out is just how to swap out the camera.

.. this is the one I ordered to try.. stated 600 TVL resolution, 0.1 lux, 1/3" image sensor and same 20mm cube size..

20180917_124559.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 6:52 AM, cmysstailights said:

I already made the plug to hook up to the distribution block

My test camera arrived today.. size looks good. Where did you get a spare plug from to make another cable? I would prefer to keep the OEM camera/wiring intact