New Owner - need steering and bearing advice

Hey everyone,

After repeated temptation, I've bit the bullet and bought a GM truck as a project car! Specifically, it's a 94 Suburban C1500 Silverado - it's my first car of this kind and I'm really enjoying it so far. It needs some work, but that's the point, right?

Right away, there are 3 items on my hit-list:

1. Front wheel bearings
  2. Power Steering Idler arm
  3. Power Steering Pitman arm

Would the bearings be well served if I took them apart, repacked with grease, and reinstalled - or should I buy new ones? Also, how challenging is replacing the Idler/Pitman arm without power tools or a lift? I'm wondering how difficult it would be with a ratchet, breaker bar, and jack stands (I can rent the Pitman puller).

If the bearings are bad then replace them.  Use moog for anything steering and front end related.  That'll last you.  You should be able to get the pit man arm off but it will be a long time laying on your back.  Same with the idler.  Also I advice most people to explore other GMT-400 related forums because there isn't that many guys left on this forum with GMT-400 trucks.  The ones that are here will help you out.  

Managed to save the day on bearings with some grease and re-tightening bolts. On further inspection the arms were fine, so I left them alone.

Thanks for the forum hint - which one would you say is the most active for GMT 400 owners, currently?