Updated Calibrations vs Service Writers

Anyone work at dealer that can answer a few questions:

1. Why are service writers so reluctant to address updated calibrations?  Every time I've dealt with these guys they want a specific problem to address otherwise they don't want to write it.  I've even had one writer tell me "updates just create more problems" ... WTH?

2. When the techs plug in the vehicle:  Do all updated calibrations get installed? Or do they pick and choose? Say ... radio or transmission?  How does that work?

Thanks

1. You can pay to have whatever calibration installed at any time. GM wants a complaint before an

update can be done under warranty, or they won't pay for it, updates usually are there to address an issue.  If you're not having an issue why update?

2. No, updates under warranty are only done to address a complaint.  There's no picking or choosing if you came with this a specific issue the tech will check for bulletins, then check for updates.  Sometimes there is hardware that needs to be addressed before an update can even be done.

• 9 months later...

This isn’t an experience of mine specific to GM, but in general if your car is sitting there in a bay plugged into the computer for 30 minutes that is 30 minutes the bay is otherwise not earning the dealer money.

plus if there is an issue with the calibration most owners will insist on dealer to “fix” the problem which is expensive and time consuming.

If it’s not broke don’t fix it.

My uncle runs a third party service shop and the bane of his existence is “so I read that this helps on an Internet forum”, I see requesting calibrations in a similar light. 

Edited by killramos
  • Thanks 1

I have had my truck in for service 3 times.  Each time they ran the VIN and then showed me a list of updates applicable to my VIN.  So far only 1 has been to update an item Imentioned to them.   It is probably Dealer dependant on how and what they apply.  They did tell me they check and will update any outstanding updates every service visit.

We never updated any module unless by replacement, recall or specific issue customer had. Not worth the headache if a feature goes away or your mileage gets worse, or now it shifts funny or programming goes south and the customer has to wait an extra hour or two. Or three. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 99% of infotainment updates are for bugs. Rarely or never for new features.

There are some software updates that become "campaigns" that is one step short of a recall. Those should get installed if it comes up when they scan your truck without a complaint of defect. Then there are other updates to address more minor issues that they won't install unless you complain of an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk