Any new owners regret their purchase already?

I was pretty set on buying a 2019 next year but with the deals on the 2018s I'm thinking of taking a look this weekend. A local dealer has 14k off a LT crew Z71 that's optioned exactly like I would want and no options I don't want. For 37k, it's a pretty nice setup.

I like the look of the 19s more but I did notice today doing some a-b comparisons that the interior is nicer on the 2018s and there are some nice touches (like no blank toggle switches, they're just larger the fewer you have).

I can't help but get sucked into reading the vibration thread though.  It's really making me paranoid about buying a new one. Especially since I would want to lift the front 1.5" and put a very slightly larger tire on.

Any thoughts or opinions?  Who's truck is smooth as glass and trouble free?

Edited by shift_grind

I only regret purchasing mine 3 months ago instead of waiting for the deals offered now. I got 12-13k off but could easily get 14-15k now on my dbl cab Texas edition LT with 5.3. I trade often and told myself I'd buy this truck and wait 2-3 years for the new Tundra, now I'm thinking my next truck will be the 19+ models. I love this thing so far "3k miles." Test drove it on the hwy before hand to make sure no shakes. Smooth as glass. It has quirks like any brand, the rubber band feeling when accelerating up and incline, HID's jiggle on harder bumps etc. But it's a pleasure to drive overall so far and gets 20+ mpg with V4 disabled.

I couldn't bring myself to purchase the 19s right now, I know in a year or 2 they will have some good deals on them so I made the decision to wait it out. Shoot my local Chevy dealer where I got mine is letting crew cab LT Texas 5.3 go for 29.5k after GM financial discount. These things well equipped are basically cheaper than a Camry V6 now.

Edited by batman900

One thing I noticed about the 19's is they are including auto stop on all engines offered in the truck.  Had it in my jeep and it drove me nuts, I know it was rather fast to start but I just worry about wear and tear with it "restarting" constantly.  I know I could turn it off but having to do that every single time was a PITA.

From GM Authority

Today, we’ll be looking at how to turn the feature off, especially when no dedicated shut-off button is present in the vehicle. Plenty of GM products do come equipped with an engine stop-start defeat button, wearing an icon that consists of a capital letter “A” encircled by an arrow. Anytime that GM’s auto engine stop-start is active, the driver need only press that button once to turn the system off for the time that the vehicle is in use, until the next shutdown and startup.

I only have about 1k miles on my 19 SLT with the 6.2, but I am loving it getting about 20-21 MPG mostly highway for me not in rush hour, and for just over 41k on a 57k+ sticker I couldn't pass it up.

I have NO regrets on my 19!  Have a little over 1900 miles with an average of 21 mpg and typically get 23+ mpg on the highway.  It is a better truck than my 2016 LTZ and I am enjoying all the new features of my High Country including Auto Start/Stop!  I look forward to driving it and have gotten a number of compliments from total strangers on the Truck.

3M1.jpg

I test drove a 2018 LT Z71 (51k, 37k price) as well as a RST (Not sure on pricing, had conv I and 2).  Spent a lot of time hoping in and out of them as well to compare. I've never owned a 2014+ truck or spent this much time inside one, so I don't feel my opinion is swayed too much by being used to the K2xx and just liking something new.

There is definitely some cost savings with the 2019.   As far as the feel and design goes though, the 2018 felt like a older truck and was much busier inside.  I found the 2019 to be fresher and of a much nicer design - I have to say I prefer the 2019 inside without a doubt.  Both were center console trucks, there was just a lot more stuff to look at on the 2018.  You also felt like you sunk into the truck a little, but you feel up higher in the 2019.  I think a lot of this is due to the lower console on the 2019.  What I didn't like on the 2019 was the lack of the wireless charging, the blank toggle buttons and the manual passenger seat.  I did prefer it's steering wheel (with real buttons), heated steering wheel and the ease of use on the new infotainment.  They added a few features, took a way a few and stream lined the interior for a simpler look. 

Exterior design - I absolutely love the 2019, especially the Z71 badge on the fender, vs a sticker on the back.  It reminds me a bit of the K2 Midnigh edition.  I also love the tailgate/tail lights.  The 2018 is still a really good looking truck, but the 2019 is beautiful.

The 2019 rides higher and I didn't have the feeling that it "had to have" a 1-2" lift like I did with the 2018.  That's nice because not only of the cost of the lift, but having to worry about voiding the suspension warranty.  Since GM is offering a factory 2" lift they've already factored in changing the suspension geometry with a 2" lift, where there are some concerns with the K2's leading many to buy new upper arms to maintain good geometry.  Not a huge deal, but it adds up.

As far as driving impressions goes, the 2018 did have that little bit of a rubber band feeling that the 19 didn't have.  Steering wheel resistance seemed much more linear too, no matter how fast you were moving.  Both rode like trucks, the 19 felt a little stiffer but it had 20's iwith a all terrain tire and the 18 had 18's with all seasons.  The 19 was a little faster to react and downshift.  Seemed a tad quicker, but I wasn't ringing them out.  Both felt like they needed more gear though.  I'd like to see GM offer 3.73's on the 2019.

The nail in the coffin for the 2018 is that from 65-75 (more so around 72-75) it had a slight vibration.  Nothing bad, about what I would expect from a 4-5 year old truck running Duratracs, not a brand new truck with 18" all seasons.  Maybe it had flat spots from sitting on the lot, but the 19 was just smooth.  After reading all the horror stories that some had, which are probably much worse than this one, I'm not rolling the dice on that truck.

Overall I think I'm waiting on the 2019.  The interior on the 18 was making me consider it, but after spending some time in the 19 I prefer that setup more.  Hopefully they start discounting them in the spring.

• Like 1

I bought my 2018 Z71 3 weeks ago.  I don't like the looks of the 19's.  They look like a bloated Colorado to me.  Anyways, my 18 stickered for over 51k.  I ended getting it for 35k. My 18 has everything I want.  Leather, 4x4, crew cab, etc. and I saved over 16,000.

Over the past few weeks, I have seen some of the higher trim 19's and I'm starting to like the looks a little more.  They still look like a bloated Colorado to me though.

To the OP who is worried about the shake issue.  I've owned a 14 GMC and now the 18 Silverado.  Neither of them had/have the shake.

Edited by haider320
  • Like 1

I have 2 2016s and i would never look back

Wife wanted a 2019. i told her they look like crap. She went and ordered one anyway.  We went to pick it up and see it in person last week.  She said no thanks and i just smiled and said told you so and we left

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Nasty said:

I have 2 2016s and i would never look back

Wife wanted a 2019. i told her they look like crap. She went and ordered one anyway.  We went to pick it up and see it in person last week.  She said no thanks and i just smiled and said told you so and we left

That's Funny!  When my wife went with me to pick up our 2019, which was the first one she had seen in person, she just said WOW that is so much better looking than our 2016!

8 minutes ago, DougFL said:

That's Funny!  When my wife went with me to pick up our 2019, which was the first one she had seen in person, she just said WOW that is so much better looking than our 2016!

I would rather have a 1990 ford ranger tobe honest. In my opinion everything on them is ugly p

11 minutes ago, DougFL said:

That's funny!  My wife saw the new 19's and said "hell no"!  She said the 18's look a lot better.  I agreed with her.  To each their own...   Bought the 18 and saved 16k...

Bought my 19 High Country 2 weeks ago and have already leveled along with adding 33 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Paid a lot of money and have ZERO regrets. To me if it’s mostly about the money you either can’t really afford it or your missing what really matters, what matters is “are you happy”... That simple. If your happy with the truck all of the other stuff fades out... Not trying to lecture but shit man enjoy your rides... All of these trucks are bad money investments, just like a mobile home they constantly depreciate... That being said again zero regrets.... The 2018s for sure better bang for your buck with all the discounts but the 2019s look so much better especially the High Country & Trail Boss... My dealer said they can’t give away the 18s once someone sees the 2019s... I was exact same way and so was my menopause crazy ass wife... That my friends is a miracle because currently she hates breathing... Out.... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GRUNT33 said:

Bought my 19 High Country 2 weeks ago and have already leveled along with adding 33 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Paid a lot of money and have ZERO regrets. To me if it’s mostly about the money you either can’t really afford it or your missing what really matters, what matters is “are you happy”... That simple. If your happy with the truck all of the other stuff fades out... Not trying to lecture but shit man enjoy your rides... All of these trucks are bad money investments, just like a mobile home they constantly depreciate... That being said again zero regrets.... The 2018s for sure better bang for your buck with all the discounts but the 2019s look so much better especially the High Country & Trail Boss... My dealer said they can’t give away the 18s once someone sees the 2019s... I was exact same way and so was my menopause crazy ass wife... That my friends is a miracle because currently she hates breathing... Out.... 

I hear you.  I was hoping to have an 18 in the garage this week but I just can't do it, I'd rather wait.  I assume there will be more 14-18 owners coming to say how much better they are and how terrible the 19 is but that wasn't the point of the thread.  

At the end of the day the only person who needs to be happy is the owner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I just got back from dealer (again lol), I went yesterday evening to another dealer on the other side of town and drove a 18' crew cab Z71 LT that was leveled with 295 Trail Graps, now maybe I'm use to my Ram on 295 Toyo Mts, but man that thing drove like sheeot!  It had the 18 inch wheels I guess it was, or maybe they were 17s.  It looked awesome, just didn't drive smooth and I really had to focus on keeping the steering wheel straight.  Then today I went and drove an 18' double cab Z71 LT, which I really liked, it was nice, but as we are driving off I had spoken to this older gentleman  who had just purchased a 19' in the maroon color, sure enough he goes driving off and man I gotta say the 19' looked awesome driving down the road!  This also had chrome bumpers but still looked much better driving then I thought since I wasn't crazy about the rear of the truck as much as the rest of it.  It's funny that I'm kinda interested now in the 18s, for the longest time I couldn't stand the square wheel wells, maybe I'm just use to them now.  Still thinking I may wait till the 19s start getting rebates next year.  Oh and here is another photo of a 19' Z71 that was I think leveled, but it had 35x11.50s on it, looked pretty good!

19WhiteZ71.JPG

I was waiting out to trade in my 15 for the next body style until I seen its looks exactly like an F150. I really didnt care for the 16-18 frontends either. Chevys Labor Day sale on '18 LTZs was the savings grace, not for that I would have bought a Dodge.

Nope. Enjoying my 18.

If I do buy next gen it will be during mid cycle or end of cycle. Aka the 2016+ trucks of this K2xx  generation that had a few more features and some of the bugs worked out (headlights). 

And the power numbers are the same for 2019+. Interested in the 3.0 inline duramax power numbers but unless mpg is 28+ Would prob buy another 6.2 since it pulls down good highway mpgs for a truck. 

Edited by 2009GMC
  • Like 1