GM cover repairing a scratch

I've had the truck 9 days. About 650 miles...though 410 were the drive home from the dealership. I guarantee this scratch was there when I bought it...I simply missed it when I did a quick walk around. 

20181021-160820-HDR.jpg

It's a little worse in person. 2/3 of it can be buffed out but the last 3rd I can feel the scratch. 

What are my chances getting GM to cover this?  It's not super bad or anything but annoying on a brand new truck.

My dealer somewhat fixed a etched bird poop on my hood from sitting on the lot before I bought it. I know where it is so I can tell but it's a pretty good job. They hire a mobile touch up guy. I would assume your dealer would be more than happy to fix it if you contact them asap.

Unless you are a really good and known customer I doubt they will fix it for free.  Once you leave their lot they are not going to accept responsibility for scratch, especially after 9 days!

Edited by DougFL
spelling

24 minutes ago, USCGRetiredJosh said:

good time to invest in a vehicle polisher and polishing chemicals. 

For example: Rupes 15mm mark II, Rupes mini, Cyclo,

Have all of that (different stuff, same results)...but it won't get rid of all of it.  A bit of wet sanding might reduce the worst part some but I tend to stay away from wet sanding on paint myself as I tend to be a bit heavy handed.  My Porter Cable DA seems to keep me in check for any polishing needs.

Dealer I bought it from is a 6 hour drive, so that's a no go.  Local dealers (and by local, I mean the entire state of Ohio plus surrounding states) couldn't come close to touching the deal nor the inventory to get me the truck I really wanted, so that was never an option.

I was more curious as to how well GM would support correcting something like this.  My stupidity for not going over the truck with a fine tooth comb prior to taking it.  

GM won't take care of it. There is a check in process when the vehicle is delivered to the dealer. If they don't catch it, it becomes the dealers problem. So no other dealer is likely to fix it either.

I would at least call the salesman you bought it from and see if they can offer you some kind of coupon code for GM parts or something. It won't hurt to ask and explain what you found. Not every salesman and manager is a complete dick. Some of them are decent and will foot the bill to make their customers happy.

Bring an ex non GM factory rep, Warranty will not cover this problem.  The dealer might but as you said many mikes away. I have found on occasion the dent and scratch repair guys the dealers use for u/c touch up can do a great job of fixing and blending. I have witnessed some good work and very reasonable.  But like everything else in life the repair is only as good as the person was trained to do. 

• Like 1