Tailgate LED light bars

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly new here, and am looking at doing this, but I'm curious about my trucks trailer detection system, will this make the truck think a trailer is hooked up if I use the 4 pin plug in connector?

I'm fairly new here, and am looking at doing this, but I'm curious about my trucks trailer detection system, will this make the truck think a trailer is hooked up if I use the 4 pin plug in connector?

Spend the $20-25 and buy the harness that goes inline with the trailer connector system. That way your 4 and 6 are always free.

I like clean installs.

However; I do believe it will disable your rear sensors. I know my 4 pin trailer does every time I hook it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, vhreso said:

How do you connect the reverse wire to this harness?  

On 12/3/2018 at 8:35 AM, Neallynein said:

He was referring to the 5 pin connector which has a spot for the reverse. I’m sure there’s something on YouTube or google for it. I did the 4 pin and put it to my other backup lights that go on via a switch

I already have a 7-pin to 5-pole adapter (see attached), that I'm going to splice in a 4-pole plug (along side for my hitch brake light).  I'm going to wire up the tailgate light bar (red/white) to a 5-pole plug (already have). 

canvas.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

I already have a 7-pin to 5-pole adapter (see attached), that I'm going to splice in a 4-pole plug (along side for my hitch brake light).  I'm going to wire up the tailgate light bar (red/white) to a 5-pole plug (already have). 

canvas.png

What's the 5th pin, reverse?

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

5th pin is reverse white wire some trailers with brakes will lock up in reverse without that 5th pin.

Thank you.  I completely forgot about the 5-pin connector.  I'll get one of those when I get the Putco light bar and swap the plug on it to 5 pin.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I completely forgot about the 5-pin connector.  I'll get one of those when I get the Putco light bar and swap the plug on it to 5 pin.

Yes that works I already had the 4 pin from my old light bar without reverse. So all I did was install a single waterproof plug. Kinda like a factory plug. Also when you install the 5 pin plug on the putco side. Shorten the harness. It is entirely to long. I cut it about 10 inches past the fuse. More then enough with the T harness wiring as well. It’s over 10 ft between the 2 so it’s a 100 times neater. Another tip the black box that’s on the putco I put inside the bumper frame where the park sensors go. I used the right stuff gasket maker that stuff is strong. So it made it even more cleaner factory looking Just how I did it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Yes that works I already had the 4 pin from my old light bar without reverse. So all I did was install a single waterproof plug. Kinda like a factory plug. Also when you install the 5 pin plug on the putco side. Shorten the harness. It is entirely to long. I cut it about 10 inches past the fuse. More then enough with the T harness wiring as well. It’s over 10 ft between the 2 so it’s a 100 times neater. Another tip the black box that’s on the putco I put inside the bumper frame where the park sensors go. I used the right stuff gasket maker that stuff is strong. So it made it even more cleaner factory looking Just how I did it.

Thanks for the info.  I will definitely be shortening their harness.

I came up with that plan when I was planning our my pickup truck trailer that I'm going to get into this spring/summer.  I had downloaded a diagram of the different trailer connectors.

WiringGuides.jpg

1 minute ago, Ravenkeeper said:

I came up with that plan when I was planning our my pickup truck trailer that I'm going to get into this spring/summer.  I had downloaded a diagram of the different trailer connectors.

My boat trailer uses the 7-pin.  I'm just not a big fan of using scotchlok connectors or otherwise hacking into the OEM harness.  I'm happy to pay a little extra for the Curt harness.

2 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

My boat trailer uses the 7-pin.  I'm just not a big fan of using scotchlok connectors or otherwise hacking into the OEM harness.  I'm happy to pay a little extra for the Curt harness.

I'm using the OEM harness that comes with the new bed/lights, and putting a 7-pin on the trailer, going to be using the brake, turn, tail, & reverse lights.  I noticed the 5-pin on that pic, while I was drafting up my trailer plans, and thought, "that would be great if/when I do a tailgate light bar w/ reverse."