Real-time traffic on Nav - who handles it? OnStar or XM

CAE AT4

Hopefully someone has dealt with this on their 2019 already.

I received the attached notification on my Nav screen.

I pressed the advisor button and asked OnStar what was needed to maintain real-time traffic.

OnStar said it was only available from Sirius XM. To which I replied, “it wasn’t available when I signed up for XM radio” (I had it on my previous truck).

The advisor checked and said Navtraffic was only available from XM and transferred me to the XM rep. Who said that my radio isn’t set up for their Navtraffic and that I needed to go to the dealer and have it programmed for Navtraffic?

I replied, “Then how come I have traffic displayed on my screen right now?” the XM rep didn’t know and couldn’t help.

3 days later and traffic data no longer shows up on my Nav map.

Which to me means it’s handled through OnStar and is only available with their unlimited access plan for $40.00 a month. I currently have the Safety and Security plan.

I guess my question is – does any still have real-time traffic after their free month expired? and if so, which company are you getting it from?

Onstar Nav expiration.jpg

I don't know and don't have my 2019 Silverado yet, currenty on order, but I can say this much, I will not bother with it.  I'll just go with Waze since to me is a way better real time traffic app and now integrates with the MyLink. 

It is handled by XM, it is their SiriusXM NavTraffic or what I would recommend is getting the Travel Link package which includes the traffic, the weather, ski conditions, and all that other nonsense that is fun to show off. I want to say the package for all of it is an additional $8.99 a month, don't quote me on that though. 

Good luck! 

17 hours ago, CAE AT4 said:

I pressed the advisor button and asked OnStar what was needed to maintain real-time traffic.

OnStar said it was only available from Sirius XM. To which I replied, “it wasn’t available when I signed up for XM radio” (I had it on my previous truck).

The advisor checked and said Navtraffic was only available from XM and transferred me to the XM rep. Who said that my radio isn’t set up for their Navtraffic and that I needed to go to the dealer and have it programmed for Navtraffic?

I replied, “Then how come I have traffic displayed on my screen right now?” the XM rep didn’t know and couldn’t help.

Which to me means it’s handled through OnStar and is only available with their unlimited access plan for $40.00 a month. I currently have the Safety and Security plan.

I guess my question is – does any still have real-time traffic after their free month expired? and if so, which company are you getting it from?

OnStar handles nav. Personally I got rid of OnStar package and just have the basic package. 

If you look in your MyGMC app you see 3 sections for services: 4G LTE, OnStar, and GMC. Choose GMC and you can check out their connected services packages. 

There are actually 2 different Nav options:

1.  Handled by OnStar.  It allows you to call OnStar and ask for directions to somewhere.  They will download it directly to your vehicle if you have an active plan.  If your vehicle has the factory Nav module it will load the destination to that.  If you don't have the Nav screen on your radio it will load what OnStar calls "Turn-by-Turn directions" to your DIC screen.

2.  GM factory Nav.  If you have this you will have the Nav screen on your radio.  You don't need an active OnStar or XM plan -- your destinations will continue to work.  You can only get map updates from gmnavdisc.com if you want to update them each year (not required).  On this system the traffic is handled by XM (called Travel Link / Traffic).  Once you have an active XM plan you can add Travel Link to any plan for an additional monthly fee (click here and scroll down for info/pricing):

https://www.siriusxm.com/infotainment?intcmp=GN_HEADER_NEW_Subscriptions_MoreWaystoConnect_InfotainmentTrafficWeatherampMore

Edited by sk
  • Like 1

Just got back from the dealer and they were absolutely no help.

Dealer says that I should be able to get Navtraffic through XM, and it's XM who does the upgrade not them.

So now, it's back to OnStar. 

Does anyone with a 2019 have XM Navtraffic? or is the only choice for live traffic the $40.00 a month Onstar package?

I know I could just use Android auto, but most of the time I just need to hop in the truck jump on the freeway, and it would be nice to see the traffic conditions before i got on the onramp.

On Edit: I have both an Onstar account and a SiriusXM account for the truck.

Edited by CAE AT4

17 minutes ago, CAE AT4 said:

Just got back from the dealer and they were absolutely no help.

Dealer says that I should be able to get Navtraffic through XM, and it's XM who does the upgrade not them.

So now, it's back to OnStar. 

Does anyone with a 2019 have XM Navtraffic? or is the only choice for live traffic the $40.00 a month Onstar package?

I know I could just use Android auto, but most of the time I just need to hop in the truck jump on the freeway, and it would be nice to see the traffic conditions before i got on the onramp.

On Edit: I have both an Onstar account and a SiriusXM account for the truck.

Did you click on the link in my post above yours?  It takes you right to the XM page for your truck with plan info and pricing ....

3 minutes ago, sk said:

Did you click on the link in my post above yours?  It takes you right to the XM page for your truck with plan info and pricing ....

Yes, been there done that. When I open my account there is no Navtraffic or Travel link option available like I had with my previous truck.

XM claims that my radio is not capable of using the plans.

20 hours ago, ArcherMP said:

OnStar handles nav. Personally I got rid of OnStar package and just have the basic package. 

If you look in your MyGMC app you see 3 sections for services: 4G LTE, OnStar, and GMC. Choose GMC and you can check out their connected services packages. 

Unfortunately, you are correct! 

No $3.99 Navtraffic for the 2019 upper trim levels. For real-time traffic you need Connected Navigation, which is only available with the $39.99 GMC Unlimited Access plan.

Since it's a new Infotainment system, the OnStar reps seem to be unaware that Navtraffic is unavailable on the new systems. it took an hour on the phone with OnStar to get the unlimited access plan added back into to my system and another 16 hours before it was fully integrated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 7:49 PM, CAE AT4 said:

You could just plug in your phone and use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.  They allow Google maps to project on the screen and it shows live traffic data

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have a 2019 AT4 and cannot get a straight answer on who controls the live traffic.  I have spent a total of three hours talking to onstar and xm and still do not have it resolved.   Onstar said the new radios are completely controlled by onstar and no longer need xm for live traffic updates.  I don't want to use android auto.  Has anyone resolved this?

1 hour ago, Wfc Wfc said:

I have a 2019 AT4 and cannot get a straight answer on who controls the live traffic.  I have spent a total of three hours talking to onstar and xm and still do not have it resolved.   Onstar said the new radios are completely controlled by onstar and no longer need xm for live traffic updates.  I don't want to use android auto.  Has anyone resolved this?

For live traffic you need to have the $40 Onstar/GMC unlimited access plan.

However, since the new infotainment system seems to be a work in process, it's not very reliable. At least 3 or 4 times a week live traffic won't show up.

I've used it for a year now and plan on canceling the service. I'll just use android auto. It's not as convenient, but it works better and it's free.