Keep getting “service stabilitrak” message

Cjc16

Ive got about 12k miles on my 2018 Sierra SLT. Last week I started getting the “service stabilitrak” message nearly every time I went through mud. I took it to dealer and they said there was a TSB on it. Said it was mud/debris hitting underneath the truck, for which the remedy was to spray some dampening coating. Well, I was out deer hunting this afternoon, went through some mud...  ding... service stabilitrak. 

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yes you are correct but that bulletin is very involved. I would let the dealer do it as it cost over 1k to do. 

Well, they’ve already sprayed the dampening stuff. 3 coats per GM. So is there something else? Surely that’s not a $1k job?

Well, they’ve already sprayed the dampening stuff. 3 coats per GM. So is there something else? Surely that’s not a $1k job?
At the dealer they did it? It calls for a special material and spray gun. That is where the most of cost comes from.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just now, 1SLOW1500 said:

At the dealer they did it? It calls for a special material and spray gun. That is where the most of cost comes from.

Yes sir. They did that last Friday morning. Then Sunday I went out to my deerstand and it came back on. 

Im back at the dealer now. They have it back in the shop and I’m waiting. 

Their theory behind the dampening stuff is the debris hitting the plate under the sensor. My thinking says, if it’s coated with mud all the time, then that would basically serve the same function as the spray. 

Yes sir. They did that last Friday morning. Then Sunday I went out to my deerstand and it came back on. 
Im back at the dealer now. They have it back in the shop and I’m waiting. 
Their theory behind the dampening stuff is the debris hitting the plate under the sensor. My thinking says, if it’s coated with mud all the time, then that would basically serve the same function as the spray. 
Ithe service bulletin said it had to do with harmonics. But I would look at the actual sensors. I would guess debris is getting in there. I mean it should be easy for them they check the code and it is sensor x or not. I would also as for the print out of the codes it is throwing it can be the only thing that saves you later if problem isn't solved. Good luck

1 minute ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Ithe service bulletin said it had to do with harmonics. But I would look at the actual sensors. I would guess debris is getting in there. I mean it should be easy for them they check the code and it is sensor x or not. I would also as for the print out of the codes it is throwing it can be the only thing that saves you later if problem isn't solved. Good luck

I always get the print out of any service done, but I am unaware of whether the codes are on there I guess I can look into that. 

Side-note... this is my second GMC truck this year.  The first one had service trailer brake system before I drove it off the lot.  They took it back there, worked on it, 30 min later said it was fixed, I signed the paper work, and took off.  Literally 5 miles down the road, it popped back up.  I took it back and they gave me a loaner to go grab lunch while they looked at it.  Came back from lunch and they said it was fixed.  Took it home (75 miles away) bout 20 miles from my house it popped back up.  They decided to swap me with another new truck even, which is the one they are working on.  Now it's this is the 4th time it's been here...  I should probably get a part time sales job I guess.  I'm here enough, might as well get paid.

I always get the print out of any service done, but I am unaware of whether the codes are on there I guess I can look into that. 
Side-note... this is my second GMC truck this year.  The first one had service trailer brake system before I drove it off the lot.  They took it back there, worked on it, 30 min later said it was fixed, I signed the paper work, and took off.  Literally 5 miles down the road, it popped back up.  I took it back and they gave me a loaner to go grab lunch while they looked at it.  Came back from lunch and they said it was fixed.  Took it home (75 miles away) bout 20 miles from my house it popped back up.  They decided to swap me with another new truck even, which is the one they are working on.  Now it's this is the 4th time it's been here...  I should probably get a part time sales job I guess.  I'm here enough, might as well get paid.
The work order only shows a limited amount of info. Maybe one current code of what they worked on. My service center checks all codes before they take the car. It pulls all codes past and current. I had 2 pages worth.

• 4 years later...

On my 2014 I had that and brakes or something else and it turned out to be the brake level res switch. Took years to get it figured out and I thought yeah I never had a brake level alarm but it has not been back on in 3 years.....may be worth investigating.

• Like 1

I used to get service stabilitrak on startup every few months. I don't offroad much but our highways around here are rough enough to qualify. Never gotten the message driving. Have you checked for any codes and checked all your grounds?

G218 ground shouldn't be an issue on a 2018. I would occasionally get service stabillitrack on startup but thats it. Check and clean all your grounds, especially the engine ground to body.
There are 3 frame grounds:
1. under driver seat on frame 
2. behind front passenger wheel well
3. on top of spare tire by trailer tow package.

Your negative battery cable may have high resistance and need replaced. Dealer replaced mine and it didn't really change anything but they said it was out of spec for resistance.

Here is the official Technical Service Bulletin TSB 
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168185-9999.pdf