Speed Turtle Easy Flash Module 3.0 (for 2017+ Trucks)

It appears the updated module (version 3.0) has come out for the 2017 and up trucks.  I was wondering if anyone has installed this updated one in their truck and what do you think?  There appears to be a huge difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 versions in how they connect to the truck.  The 2.0 being a direct plug-in to the OBD-II connector, the 3.0 being an in-line connection with three harnesses of the BCM.  What worries me is that direct connection to the BCM - and the warning in the Speed Turtle instruction manual, "The use of the EFM 3.0 may shorten the life of the vehicle’s light bulbs, headlight assemblies, and electronic modules."  I don't mind with playing around with most things on the truck, but I've always tread lightly around the BCM.  Not exactly an inexpensive part to mess around with!

So I guess the big question is, could the 3.0 module really cause damage to the BCM, connected up they way it's described?

I just installed this in my truck last friday...working great so far(only used it like 5 times since then). I think it'll have much better results than the OBD version did...I had that one in my colorado and never had any issues but heard of some horror stories.

I have the 2.0. Last winter while plowing, one of my headlights went out due to a problem with the wiring harness. I don't know if the Speed Turtle caused it or not. I have yet to get it repaired. The truck headlights work as normal without the plow wiring harness connected, so its something in my Western plow wiring. I am cautious about abusing the electrical systems. I'm following to see if others have had issues.

33 minutes ago, Nasty said:

What is this

This module allows you to turn the vehicle lights into strobes. You can choose which ones to flash, such as turn signals, reverse lights, fogs, etc.

• 1 year later...

i just installed the turtle 3.0 2 days ago.. on a 19 gmc 2500..i don’t use it everyday just acouple times a month.. wondering if anyone else has one and had any issues with it..... i have not yet... thanks

• 1 year later...

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. I installed the 3.0 several months ago. Used it a few times. Last week while driving on the freeway in stop and go traffic the engine light came on and the engine shut off. After 30 minutes the engine started but ran in reduced engine mode as the engine light stayed on. Took the truck to the dealer and they said the Cam Sensor that communicates with the ECM failed. I removed the Speed Turtle 3.0 before taking it to the dealer. I am now worried that if I replace it that another sensor might fail. The truck was still under warranty so I didn't want to void that by having the Speed Turtle connected. The tech told me that it is rare a cam sensor would fail. I will let you know if I decide to put the Speed Turtle back on the truck. Sharing this just for info and I have no idea if the ST caused the failure.

I have had the Speed Turtle in my truck for 3 years and never had a problem.  The Speed Turtle does NOT talk to the main ECM.  I is after the ECM and intercepts signal from the ECM to the lights.  When the ECM needs to turn a light, the Speed Turtle does a pass thur of the signal as though it is not there.  I have several different programming option for the lights, driving, parked at night driving.  The dealer has seen mine and several other and never mentioned a word about problems.  There are several of us on our fire dept that have the Speed Turtle.

The only really major problem with Speed Turtle is total lack of customer support.  I have sent several emails, none answered and even posted on their Facebook page and not a reply one.  Even the retailer I got mine from says the same thing about totally worthless customer support.

Gene

EMP Fire Dept. Capt. and EMT

Edited by G-mann
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I just put it on my 2022 silverado 2500 HD. 

First I had to send it in for a harness upgrade, from 20 up it needs four connectors on the harness. (blue is missing on some older ones) when I got and installed it I right away noticed that it did the 2 green flashes on startup but after turning on the truck it never goes the flashing sequence described in their documentation. 

Double pressing the Hazard lights did enable it and all seemed ok. However, at one point I noticed that the cargo lights didn't flash, couldn't get it to go until I refreshed the unit with fresh firmware. If its a free install and don't mess with the flash pattern it worked.

Later that night I thought something was up but couldn't quiet put my finger on it, then I figured it out. The dash lighting on the panel where the tow haul mode etc is is not working with the module attached, and the lights behind the bar where the engine break button, hazard etc is is no longer lit up.

Also if I hook the laptop up and go in programming where you can select which lights to include and which ones not if for example I disable one fog lamp it doesn't make a darn difference, both still flash (not that I don't want both to flash I would just expect if you remove one from the list to actual stop flashing).

Ive had some random errors since I put it on like rear park assist not working, next startup its back, lane assist not working, next startup its back. and like I said, messing with the flash pattern results in loosing control over at least cargo.

i kept it on waiting on a response from speed turtle. They responded super fast when I asked questions that would cost me money (like the harness upgrade) now  not so much, then again, its just 2pm after a weekend.

Needless to say, I'm taking it off, unless they come with a solution.

the money I spend on shipping, upgrading the harness and pay for return shipping wasn't worth it.

• 11 months later...

I installed a Speed Turtle 3.0 on my 2020 GMC 2500 Sierra HD a couple of years ago, while it was still under warranty.  After a while, the HVAC control cluster went dark.  I could still control the heat and A/C via the touchscreen, but not the controls below.  Removed the speed turtle because I knew it would cause a warranty red flag.  Didn't re-install it for a long time.  Now main warranty on truck is over and I tried re-installing it.  Everything was fine and all lights checked out as they had before.  Shut off truck and could not restart the truck.  Removed the speed turtle and truck started fine.  No more Speed Turtle for this guy.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD diesel. I installed the speed turtle 3.0 with integrated harness. I have had intermittent check engine light issues. The check engine light goes out when I unplug and re-plug the device sometimes my lane departure warning, and back up warning does not work. I have also had theft deterrent system issues, steering column lock issues which all involve the truck not starting. Once the device is unplugged and plugged back in everything works fine. I have looked everywhere for updates about this issue with no resolve. I do enjoy using this device and that is why I still have it connected. I just wish that there was an update or some one has come up with a workaround so the device does not throw a code. I do believe the issue stems from OnStar connecting to the vehicle while it is off and the unit is not receiving power through the DCM. I have contemplated taking the device apart and hardwiring the device to a fuse that would allow power to engage the device while OnStar turns on my DCM for a wellness check. Any, and all suggestions/help would be helpful thank you.