Keep my Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE or get an SUV

In my child raising days I tried sedans, wagons, a mini-van and a Suburban.  I've always returned to a 1/2 ton.  My reasons for moving away from my pickup of the day were usually related to gas prices or lack of space in 80's Super Cabs.  Now that Crew Cabs are available in all levels of trucks and they offer car like gas mileage, I wouldn't consider any other platform than a full-sized 1/2 ton pickup! If you trade for a Traverse you'll be appreciate how much you preferred your truck!

I've contemplated this many times.

I need to have a 7000lb tow rating to feel comfortable with towing my boat/gear.  So a full size SUV would work.  I really, REALLY considered it before I bought my last truck and this truck.  Nothing American (not a fan of most American SUV's) - those used German SUV's tank in value after a couple of years.  Considered an X5M, X6M, Cayenne Turbo, Q7 Diesel and maybe even a X5/X6 with non-turbo V8 or N54/N55 turbo inline 6 motors.  Perhaps even a Cayenne S if optioned right.

But my issue is I do use the truck bed some.  Have the summer wheels from my car in the bed right now so I can take them to be balanced; I'd have to bag them up in a nice SUV.  Couldn't just throw wet vests and wet suits in the back of an SUV happily.  When we take long trips, a lot more luggage fits in that bed while still seating 4-5 in cab of the truck.  Home Depot runs are a lot better in the truck.  I considered a utility trailer to go with a SUV but just seemed like a pain in the ass.  In the end, I decided I'll just have a fun car to play with instead of a fun car and fun hauler, so truck it is.  The more "mature" choice.  

Boy a Turbo Cayenne with a tune would have been fun...

I've had a grand Cherokee and I hated it, too small. Trailblazer SS was slightly better, but I like the size if the Tahoes I had a lot better.  

I've switched back and forth between trucks and SUVs.  Tahoes are great vehicles and can be a lot more practicle - especially if you have a dog.  

The prices new though - are insane.  3 years used are about the same as trucks though.  In today's market, I wouldn't buy a used truck and I wouldn't buy a new Tahoe/Yukon.  

If you use your bed of the truck, like most of us do, to haul garbage, yard waste (all good smelling things). Or, dirt, gravel, tools, etc., these would either be inside the SUV, or you will need to tow a trailer each time.

14 hours ago, SteveC said:

No leather, or heated steering, or cool ambient lighting (all things my wife's Charger has) but still a nice truck. It's be expensive to buy out after the lease is up in a few months but it's still cheaper than buying some other used truck. And I know this one has been maintained well.  

If you keep this one you can add all three of these.

If I were looking at midsize SUVs I’d hold out and wait to see the new Blazer & Bronco both of which are 5 seaters as far as midsize stuff goes that’s as good as it gets without a 3rd row. If your going to do the 3rd row thing I’d definitely check out a Ford Flex when we were shopping for a SUV for the wife and since I’m tall I read online what SUVs fit tall people and Flex was on every list. I’m not really a fan of the box on wheels look of them but damn that thing is roomy, has all the bell and whistles, and rides like a Caddy. Unfortunately we ended up with a Edge (headlights absolutely suck on these BTW) but that’s what she wanted.

Another trick is if you find something you like go rent one from a rental car place and drive it around for a weekend and use it for everything your going to in including sticking 2 adults and 4 kids in it and driving it at night. 200 bucks for the weekend is a lot cheaper than 3 years of I hate this thing payment and should have kept my truck.

• Like 1

I’m not a huge Ford fan - except Mustangs. 

When the time is closer I may try renting - or get the dealer to let me drive something - for the weekend. I thought I liked the Traverse as it’s bigger but it looks so plain. 

I was in the same boat, about this time last year.  Back in 2014, I had a 14 F150 for about a year and a half, then traded it in and got my wife a brand new Ford Escape.  I drove her old car (Honda CRZ coupe hybrid).  Mainly kept that, because I was commuting 25 miles on way, and we lived in Dallas.  Was awesome for zipping around traffic, and fitting in the tight parking spaces.  Anyway, flash forward to 2016, and we decided to move back to Arkansas.  I bought my dad's old truck from him (2013 Tundra Crew Max).  Was weird getting back into a truck, but I loved it.  Painted to match everything, added Platinum wheels, level, etc. 

YtaNoKR.jpg

About 6 months pass, and I start to get bored with it/hating driving the monstrosity around.  I started to look at cars/SUVs.  I was dead set on some luxury sedans, then I got the truck bug again.  Went to Dallas to buy a 2015 LTZ Crew Cab, but they sold it about an hour before I got there.  A few weeks before that, I had driven a few 4Runners and really fell in love with it.  Felt like it was a perfect medium for what I was wanting: size, comfort, and all the features.  Found a helluva deal on one, and traded my Tundra in for it.  It was a great car for me, and super easy to make look "cool", as well as inexpensive.  

sOTrS3F.jpg

I was like $11k positive equity on the 4Runner when I bought it.  I ran it for about 3.5 months, and really felt like I wanted/needed a truck.. and also felt like I just kind of settled on a 4Runner/spur of the moment type deal.  Was looking around, and the dealership up the road had a 15 LTZ Crew Cab with heated everything, power everything, etc.  My buddy is a salesman up there, so I called and talked to him.  He said they still had it, and they'd love for me to trade my 4Runner in on it.  I went up there and test drove the truck, they told me they'd give me $27k for my 4Runner (owed $15k).  They had the truck listed for pretty much $27500 after taxes and fees.  I didn't even try to talk them down, because it was already listed under market value and they gave me more than I thought I was going to get for my 4R.  Anyway, got the truck on a Monday night at 4pm, and they sold my 4R before I even left the parking lot.  Some guy had drove in to look at some Infiniti SUVs and fell in love with my 4R, lol.  So, now, I am in this truck and have loved every second of it.  I have done a few things, like painted the front grill/headlight surrounds, took off the LTZ 20s and put on the Tahoe/Z71 18s for better ride, leveled the truck, tinted it, added bigger tires, etc.  After owning a Tahoe in college, and a 4R recently, I don't think I will ever go back to an SUV.. unless I move to a big city again.

9PNWn5E.jpg

oWH2Z7F.jpg

3 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

If you keep this one you can add all three of these.

This is another good point in favour of a pickup.  There is a huge aftermarket or oem selection of modifications.  With my current truck I added a colour matched, cab-high canopy.  I call it my poor man's Suburban look.   The back of my truck is dry, clean, carpeted and has power.  I can pick up a family of five from the airport and still have room for all of their luggage and my loyal canine!

All this makes me wonder why they never improved on the Avalanche...yes it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but my 2008 LTZ was the best of both worlds. The mid-gate idea was really nice and I never had any issues other than some typical odd noises from the cheap GM interior. The removable bed covers never leaked, I could fold the mid-gate down (with the covers still on) roll out a sleeping bag and even watch a DVD with heat or air if needed. Could haul a full sheet of plywood or sheetrock in the rain with no worries. I will be the first to say that the plastic garbage was just ugly on some earlier models and I never understood the zebra stripping roll bar looking thing, they should have all been painted like the Black Diamond Edition/Escalade but the CONCEPT was good. Me personally...I will never be without a truck again, every single time I got rid of one I kicked myself.

I traded in my 2004 Nissan Armada for my new GMC. I miss it. It had a 5.6, lots of power, lots of leather, lots of Bose, lots of miles. But it was time to let go. I looked for another Armada, but the body style changed after 2015 and I didn't want to buy used. So I hope my new Sierra keeps me going for another 10-12 years. Even though the 5.3 is not as powerful as the Nissan 5.6.