Keep my Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE or get an SUV

Hey guys,

I haven't been here long but do enjoy reading the discussions. Here's my issue. I really like my truck. I know they aren't perfect, the transmission isn't great, the AFM thing, etc. I don' t tow a trailer...eve. I haul stuff once in a while...bikes, leaves, nothing heavy duty. Seems like a waste to have this big truck. 

However, when I look at SUV's - that aren't huge - I don't really like or see myself driving any of them. The Traverse is OK, but pretty boring. I like the look of my simple truck better. 

I wish I had a couple things that I don't. I have heated seats (I live in North Dakota) and auto start. No heated steering wheel like my wife's Charger. Other than that, I don't mind the front bench instead of buckets. We can seat 6 which I like. When kids bring a friend or whatever. 

Any thoughts?

Personally, I wouldn't be without a truck in any situation. SUVs are great, but even when I had an Escalade I longed for a truck. SUVs and Trucks are apple's and orange's, if you need a truck then you still will after you get an SUV.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went from Escalade truck to trailblazer ss and hated it. Then it was a truck and another truck. My girl has a small SUV it is fine for kids. Talk of a larger SUV like a Escalade for her. But I will always have a truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would keep the truck.  Sounds like you would not like an SUV by your own admission.  Try these for your steering wheel.  I live in Manitoba.  My 17 has no heated steering wheel but these work.  For 2 bucks delivered to your door you can't go wrong even if you don't like them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Black-Soft-Warm-Plush-Auto-Car-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Furry-Winter-NEW/232844078220?hash=item363696ac8c:g:Of8AAOSwdA5bPcOZ:rk:13:pf:0

Jim

Edited by jagabom

I say go for a Tahoe/Suburban or a Yukon/XL if you feel you'd rather have more interior room, then buy a small utility trailer to haul leaves and stuff around when needed.  You may not even need a trailer for many household chores as the back is pretty BIG with the seats folded up. That's the route I'm considering next time around.

I had a truck long ago and went to a mini van that could haul 4x8 sheet of plywood with seats down, some SUV have even less room to haul stuff compared to mini van. I have 3 kids and when my mini van got old I bought a truck again, I have a small travel trailer and I have gear for fishing and used to haul it with my mini van fine but would get interior real dirty in the mini van. Having a truck is really nice and I would not buy another mini van possibly a small SUV for daily driver but I would still have a truck.

I've owned a 99, 2005, 2007 and 2012 Tahoe.  Prior to that, I owned short bed regular cab trucks, which isn't a fair comparison because there's no multi-passenger seating.

I was actually looking to purchase a 2016 Tahoe but was floored with how much they had gone up in cost.  I was in the middle of remodeling a home in NH and the Tahoe was not the right vehicle for that.  I made it work but it was limited.  The Tahoe was nice because it was shorter than the CC pickup by almost 2 feet, so I was concerned with maneuverability of the CC pickup.  Anyway I bought the 2016 truck due to cost of the new Tahoe's and also my needs at the time. 

I've loved the truck since the day I got it.  I've got the bench up front so I could basically fit 6 people if I needed and the utility of the bed (with the linex) is fantastic.  I've carried and hauled so many things in there that the Tahoe would have been limited on.  I believe the dimensions of the 1st and 2nd row of the CC truck is the same as the Tahoe.  The difference is the cargo area of the Tahoe is fully enclosed and not as long as the pickup bed. 

I'll continue to get a pickup at this point.

28 minutes ago, Ozer said:

Is MPG savings a reasoning as well? Because a large SUV wont get any better MPG than the truck.

Not too worried about MPG right now. The truck is big as far as parking and stuff sometimes. 

13 minutes ago, outrag1 said:

I've owned a 99, 2005, 2007 and 2012 Tahoe.  Prior to that, I owned short bed regular cab trucks, which isn't a fair comparison because there's no multi-passenger seating.

I was actually looking to purchase a 2016 Tahoe but was floored with how much they had gone up in cost.  I was in the middle of remodeling a home in NH and the Tahoe was not the right vehicle for that.  I made it work but it was limited.  The Tahoe was nice because it was shorter than the CC pickup by almost 2 feet, so I was concerned with maneuverability of the CC pickup.  Anyway I bought the 2016 truck due to cost of the new Tahoe's and also my needs at the time. 

I've loved the truck since the day I got it.  I've got the bench up fronto I could basically fit 6 people if I needed and the utility of the bed (with the linex) is fantastic.  I've carried and hauled so many things in there that the Tahoe would have been limited on.  I believe the dimensions of the 1st and 2nd row of the CC truck is the same as the Tahoe.  The difference is the cargo area of the Tahoe is fully enclosed and not as long as the pickup bed. 

I'll continue to get a pickup at this point.

I do sometimes think I'd like m a little more interior storage, but the big SUV's - even used - are so expensive.  And like you said, even if I don't haul that much, it's nice to be able to if I want. It's not that big a deal to put stuff in the box, I have a cover, but in the winter it kind of sucks when your luggage gets cold. 

I'll give you a completely different answer - sell your SLE and get an SLT Premium Plus or LTZ - you'll have all the gizmos and gadgets that you want, for less than an SUV.  Heck, just get a Denali, you know you want one.

It's funny that you bring this up because I have been thinking about this for quite some time now, I've always enjoyed the look of a slight lift on a Tahoe/Suburban or Yukon/XL. I really thought my next purchase would be an SUV...but then I talked to my Dad. 

My father drove nothing but LTZ Suburbans and Denali Yukon XL's for as long as I could remember and ever since the 3 of us kids were all of out the house he has owned nothing but trucks 10 F150, 14 F250 6.7, 15 Sierra 1500 and now an 18 Sierra 1500. He swears that no one could ever make him go back to an SUV, with his bed cover he's happy and he also is appalled at the cost of the new large SUV's. Mom is still driving a Range Rover if he wants to take an SUV for a spin then he has that as an option.

Edited by TyGriff13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthpawHD said:

I'll give you a completely different answer - sell your SLE and get an SLT Premium Plus or LTZ - you'll have all the gizmos and gadgets that you want, for less than an SUV.  Heck, just get a Denali, you know you want one.

I would like a Denali, but it would have to be used, and even then they are ridiculously expensive - at least around here. And, I'm not sure I'm in love with the new wheel well design. Also, we can take myself, my wife, our 2 kids AND 2 of their friends for short trips to games or concerts or whatever is we want.  The SLT and Denali eliminate that option. It's kind of nice right now.

Guess I'm kind of talking myself into keeping my base model SLE. It does have a few things though. Adjustable pedals, power sliding rear window, heated (cloth) seats, rear park assist, traction control, trailer brake - if I ever use one, etc. It's a Z71. 

No leather, or heated steering, or cool ambient lighting (all things my wife's Charger has) but still a nice truck. It's be expensive to buy out after the lease is up in a few months but it's still cheaper than buying some other used truck. And I know this one has been maintained well.  

Edited by SteveC

If you don't need a truck then get rid of it and buy what you want.  So many people especially men these days feel they have to drive a truck even though they don't need one.  Its become more evident with diesel trucks especially.  Owning a diesel these days has become more of a cool factor then a necessity.   If you're second guessing owning your truck then get rid of it  

I had an F250 and thought I needed an SUV because of my growing family so I traded it for a 17 Expedition EL.  I needed something that I could still tow with and it fit the bill.  It was a great family hauler and the Ecoboost is an awesome engine (better than the GM 5.3 and as good if not better than the 6.2) but I found myself constantly needing to carry things that wouldn't always fit in the back.  After 2yrs I decided I had to get back into a truck.  We have multiple dirt bikes, atv's and a SxS and having a bed to put stuff in when the trailer is loaded to the max is great.  Do I miss the SUV absolutely especially that engine.  Do I regret getting back into a truck.  Hell no because I use it constantly.  Im a truck guy so I doubt I'll ever be without one

I guess it is all dependent upon your particular situation. I just kept my new truck and bought a beater Tahoe to drive to work and haul kids around in (they kick the back of the seat and spill stuff nasty little buggers) I must have a truck for my rental property business  To be honest i like driving the Tahoe nearly as much as my new truck these succas are nice even at 9 years old. Just need a heated steering wheel on the Tahoe. Might try one of those steering wheel covers though.......

IMG_6674.jpg.daea1c6edc0bbec26f360f3b900186e9.jpg

5c09a06540086_2009TahoeHybrid.thumb.jpg.22ae4af2b4139a00e3564eb32adff28c.jpg