socket set?

Well I don't have a Chevy yet but I'm seriously contemplating a 2019 Silverado and then it just dawned on me, I have very little SAE tools, mostly Metric. I love Metric! why can't we all just use Metric!? haha

I'll need to build up my SAE tools, anything out of the ordinary you've come across needing for tools when working on your truck? I'll consider "ordinary" as up to 1" for sockets

4 minutes ago, FirstAscent said:

...why can't we all just use Metric!?

Real Americans use SAE only!  LOL  We use the english system because that's the way we started.  It's not a big deal to stick with it save for the mentally challenged, so they invented the metric system.  

Are there any SAE fasteners on our vehicles anymore?  Even in the 1980s most of GM my cars were metric.

We use 36mm sockets for the front hub nuts; but that is definitely for GMT900, not sure about newer body styles.

4 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Real Americans use SAE only!  LOL  We use the english system because that's the way we started.  It's not a big deal to stick with it save for the mentally challenged, so they invented the metric system.  

Are there any SAE fasteners on our vehicles anymore?  Even in the 1980s most of GM my cars were metric.

We use 36mm sockets for the front hub nuts; but that is definitely for GMT900, not sure about newer body styles.

hahaha, well luckily I'm good with math so I don't mind fractions, just prefer metric ;) 

I guess I just assumed it was mostly SAE fasteners, sounds like it's possible there could be metric in there which would be nice.

36mm I definitely don't have. Ok, so far I need 1 socket, I can manage that haha

You probably won't need that socket for at least 100K miles.  7/8" or 22mm we use for O2 sensors.  Many interior screws are 7mm.  Unerhood body braces and such are usually 10mm, 13mm and 15mm.  Sometimes an oil pan drain plug would be 9/16" or 14mm.  The little nuts for the battery cables used to be 5/16" or 8mm.  I remember using an 18mm wrench to remove the brake caliper brackets.  Used an 18mm socket to torque them back on.  I think we also used those tiny 5.5mm sockets to remove some screws that secured the ac controls under the trim panel.

The wheels, lug nuts are 21mm or 22mm too.

You're going to want a long breaker bar and an inch pounds torque wrench in 3/8" drive and a regular torque wrench to 75 or so foot pounds in 3/8" drive.  Then you'll want one that goes over 200 foot pounds in 1/2" drive for those big sockets and even for torquing your wheels.  My wheels torque to 140 foot pounds. 

Awesome thanks! For sockets (at least the Metric ones) I definitely have all of those. I might as well just get an SAE set to cover my bases, good excuse to buy some tools 

I have a couple battery powered impact wrenches that will take off anything I can throw at them -- 3/8" impact up to 250 ft/lbs and 1/2" up to 1400 ft/lbs. Absolutely love them, they're beasts!

Last year I splurged and finally got a nice electronic 1/2" torque wrench, I think it's 25-250 ft/lbs, and I have a standard clicker style 3/8" torque wrench for the smaller items. 

• Like 1

Don't forget, at least on mine, the intake is torqued to inch pounds.

Good to know! I do have a smaller inch pounds torque wrench for my mountain bikes, I’ll need to check what the range is.

There are no SAE nuts on Silverado's, at least I haven't found one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This makes me happy :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1