Water leaks in headliner

I've had a water leak appear near the passenger side of the controls for the sunroof and such a few times now. I checked with the dealer and the solution was to open the sunroof and spray compressed air into the sunroof drains. This has happened a couple of times now. After heavy rain and wind yesterday I have a leak in a new place, on the a-pillar. If memory serves me the dealer told me this could be related to the antenna that sits on the roof on the drivers side. Does anybody know how to solve this?

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

The shark fin antenna has developed a leak.. Take it to the dealer and get it fixed..

You're going to need a new antenna.. The new one will need a bead of clear silicone around the outside of the foam seal before you install it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you are under warranty just let a dealer replace the shark fin.  If you are out of warranty or want to tackle it yourself here's a video on a Silverado (should be similar) as how to access the antenna.

Good luck

2 hours ago, markitzero said:

I've had a water leak appear near the passenger side of the controls for the sunroof and such a few times now. I checked with the dealer and the solution was to open the sunroof and spray compressed air into the sunroof drains. This has happened a couple of times now. After heavy rain and wind yesterday I have a leak in a new place, on the a-pillar. If memory serves me the dealer told me this could be related to the antenna that sits on the roof on the drivers side. Does anybody know how to solve this?

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Most likely the Onstar antenna, other possibility is the actual gasket on the sunroof. My 14 leaked in a few spots, and they did change the gasket along with the antenna. There were two types back then, a one piece without a "cut" in that they had to put on like a sock, and the new and improved on with a cut in it that did not leak. 

• 2 weeks later...

My advice...find another Tahoe you like & trade that thing in. Had a 2015, started leaking 3 months into ownership. Same areas, same excuses as to where the leak was coming from. long story short, fought GM for a year, went into lemon law process. Was able to find a dealer willing to take it in on trade, ended up with a new Z71. The roofs on these are glued on. Once the leak starts, it may never be right again. Check the carpet in the second row under the seats. I bet it is soaking wet. Your HVAC controls will be the next thing to act up. I'd part ways with that thing quick. My own experience with leaks was awful, our new Tahoe, not a single issue. Had it for a yr & a half now.

11 hours ago, Adam Hickman said:

My advice...find another Tahoe you like & trade that thing in. Had a 2015, started leaking 3 months into ownership. Same areas, same excuses as to where the leak was coming from. long story short, fought GM for a year, went into lemon law process. Was able to find a dealer willing to take it in on trade, ended up with a new Z71. The roofs on these are glued on. Once the leak starts, it may never be right again. Check the carpet in the second row under the seats. I bet it is soaking wet. Your HVAC controls will be the next thing to act up. I'd part ways with that thing quick. My own experience with leaks was awful, our new Tahoe, not a single issue. Had it for a yr & a half now.

Welcome to the site. We’re they able to track down where the leak first started? 

Nope, they replaced the likely culprits, had the windshield out. Gutted the interior. Put it in a pressurized balloon & sprayed water on it for 3 days. They agreed it leaked, could not stop it & were unwilling to work on it anymore. Also wanted no part in taking it in on trade.

• 10 months later...

Does this issue still exist on 2019 Tahoes and Yukons too?

Looked at a 2019 Yukon with a sunroof at Carmax the other day with 34,000 miles.  There were water stains down the inside of the windshield on the passenger side, on the dashboard, on the vents, kickpanel, and floor.  During the test drive we also pressed on the little screw covers for the grab handle on the passenger A pillar and they were full of water.

Now this is on the opposite side of the shark fin antenna.

Where else can the leak come from?  We felt the carpet on the rear between second and third row seats and it felt unusual.  My Wife thought it felt wet but we really weren't sure.  When I'd wipe it with my hand, there weren't any water on my fingers but it didn't feel dry either.  Very hard to explain.

Is this a situation of STEER CLEAR?  I didn't sign, I didn't buy, but they said they would be taking it in to the GMC dealership for warranty repairs on this issue, and the inoperable tailgate glass release function that I discovered.  Other than that the truck was clean, the undercarriage was very minty and rust free with the exception of the universal joint at the rear differential.

The 2019 Yukon was finally returned from the local dealership to Carmax, where I purchased it yesterday.

In the service notes from the GM dealership, it said that they ran the vehicle through a carwash and found a section of the windshield on the top passenger side that was missing sealant.  A glass company was called out to "reseal" the windshield.  It doesn't mention that it was replaced so I am not really sure what the process was.  The Carmax salesmen said it "triggered" a corporate investigation by GM since they "may need to issue a recall."  I would take that with a grain of salt personally, but perhaps it was a manufacturing defect.  I don't really know, I just hope the leak is sealed for eternity.  Definitely somewhat of an odd situation.  I don't recall what the brand of the windshield was when I initially test drove two weeks ago, but yesterday I did confirm that the windshield was in fact labeled as a GM product.

This 2019 Yukon in particular has 34,000 miles on it and was manufactured in September of 2018.  It was also a Hertz rental.  Otherwise it is in very good condition as far as I can tell.  Put about 65 miles on it yesterday to give it a thorough test now that it is in my possession.  The only negative was some french fries and peanuts that I found near the hinges on the floor beneath the third row seats.  Let's just say that there were probably children back there eating during a road trip.  Nasty.

Edited by BlaineBug

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 5:39 AM, BlaineBug said:

The 2019 Yukon was finally returned from the local dealership to Carmax, where I purchased it yesterday.

In the service notes from the GM dealership, it said that they ran the vehicle through a carwash and found a section of the windshield on the top passenger side that was missing sealant.  A glass company was called out to "reseal" the windshield.  It doesn't mention that it was replaced so I am not really sure what the process was.  The Carmax salesmen said it "triggered" a corporate investigation by GM since they "may need to issue a recall."  I would take that with a grain of salt personally, but perhaps it was a manufacturing defect.  I don't really know, I just hope the leak is sealed for eternity.  Definitely somewhat of an odd situation.  I don't recall what the brand of the windshield was when I initially test drove two weeks ago, but yesterday I did confirm that the windshield was in fact labeled as a GM product.

This 2019 Yukon in particular has 34,000 miles on it and was manufactured in September of 2018.  It was also a Hertz rental.  Otherwise it is in very good condition as far as I can tell.  Put about 65 miles on it yesterday to give it a thorough test now that it is in my possession.  The only negative was some french fries and peanuts that I found near the hinges on the floor beneath the third row seats.  Let's just say that there were probably children back there eating during a road trip.  Nasty.

There are a couple of glass manufacturers that Gm uses now, check the windshield, and see if it matches the side windows for the same company.

Just had the windshield replaced in my Silverado, cracked by a rock, and it is a GM approved glass company, but does not match the rest of the windows.