Powertrain Warranty

My friend has a 2016 5.3 50000 miles that just started running rough the other day and his gas mileage started dropping. Check engine light flashed a couple of times but turned off. Since he still had the 5/60000 mile warranty he took it to the dealer. There were no codes in the motor but they found some misfires on 3 cylinders. After checking a bunch of things they said it was 3 injectors that were bad but they are not covered under powertrain warranty. So they replaced the 3 injectors and coil packs and his truck still stumbles at idle and smells super rich but throws no engine codes and the dealer charged his a lot of dough. Now he has a different mechanic trying to figure out the problem. The new Mechanic has it narrowed down to cylinder 7 spark problem. It's weird that it won't throw any codes. 

The mechanic at the chevy dealer said Dodge and Ford would have covered the injectors. 

Sounds like your buddy needs to take it back and strongly request/demand a full refund.  These dealerships need to be held accountable for mis-diagnosis of problems.  Too often they throw parts at a problem and the customer foots the bill of high labor rates and retail parts prices for items for what results in unnecessary work.

• Like 2

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2016/Chevrolet/Multi-Model PDFs/2k16chevylimitedwty3rdPrint.pdf

From page 4 and 5, injectors on a 2016 5.3 appear to be covered under the 3/36 rather than the 5/60.

(powertrain 5/60 seems to be 'internally lubricated parts'.)

Engine Coverage includes: All internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts, and other associated components required in the timing belt service replacement procedure are covered until the first scheduled
maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose.
Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

Ok where to start....

1- there are always codes so always request a full printout of all available codes not just current codes.

2- the dealer is a catch 22 they write the reports that GM sees so it can say whatever and based on that you truck doesnt get covered. need to treat it like a court building and you don't have a lawyer so at least get the paperwork on the date of issue and service. It is free and as they say in Black and White.

3- if you at least knew the numbers it can be ran against the gm recall, bulletins, and you can request input here. 

4- It is one of those things where if you don't have any info I would start with the cheap options spark plugs, wires, O2

5- there is a law in most states that there needs to be a honest estimate and performance lose issue. meaning you paid for the promise and service. If that isn't right you get refund. 

6- ALWAYS ask for your old parts. they cast a fair amount and it can eliminate a shady mechanic a little. And if the "fix" doesn't work  you can demand your parts reinstalled.

7- once the dealer failed I would call the local GM service rep. and email him your paperwork and a typed concern of service. He will take care of it or at least give you the OFFICIAL GM response. But you need to give them fair chance to resolve the issue. Meaning return for more service, this is where having the rep behind you puts the dealer in the position to look good or incompetent. 

Sorry RANT over  

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Ok where to start....

1- there are always codes so always request a full printout of all available codes not just current codes.

#1 shouldn't even need to happen, as it is too easy to pull the codes yourself and know what is going down before going in, even if you are afraid to turn a wrench.

I use this as it will do far more than just the basic OBD codes.  Already paid for itself a couple times over on my last truck troubleshooting a traction control issue no regular OBD scanner would even read.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546461163&sr=8-3&keywords=blue+driver

• Like 1

#1 shouldn't even need to happen, as it is too easy to pull the codes yourself and know what is going down before going in, even if you are afraid to turn a wrench.

I use this as it will do far more than just the basic OBD codes.  Already paid for itself a couple times over on my last truck troubleshooting a traction control issue no regular OBD scanner would even read.
https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546461163&sr=8-3&keywords=blue+driver

Agree and would have said that. But I know a few people feel I push or promote HPT too much and its overkill. So I let it go. Msealer asked me what code and what bulletin I thought it was. Then asked if it was ok to type in the service work sheet the aftermarket parts. I said sure gm knows what I have. Service guy said I just didn't want or report to hurt your future service. So you see those reports are important, it's like your trucks permanent record.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

He checked with a obd tester no codes and the dealer said no codes. The also replaced the coil packs. He took it back because when he is stuck at a light the exhaust burns his eyes. The dealers tech took it home and said there is no problems. His wife was following him home and when he was stuck at a light she switched lanes and went around him cause the exhaust was choking her but the dealer said everything is good. He also said it still misses at idle but no check engine light. I don't understand why it won't throw codes running so rich. 

He already decided he is going to trade it and buy a ford f150.

Edited by Gagliano7

Issue for him is for whatever reason the codes aren't going to solve this. Need to hook up a scan tool with logging and drive it till issue happens. My 2001 Camaro did this with 3k miles on it misfire needed a new coil. But never a single code.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It was not Powertrain . Probably "Goodwill or Customer Enthusiasm Policy". And yes there is such a thing believe it or not. Dealers cannot extend normal warranties. Warranty clerk cannot input the claim if it is out on time or mileage. 3/36, Powertrain or other standard warranty.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yondu said:

Seems drastic, to dump a vehicle for something like this.   I'd think he would want to try another dealer as trading in everytime you have an issue will get expensive.  

Well his powertrain warranty is up in few thousand miles. He is worried with the truck running so rich there could be damage being done that will show up later. When he bought the truck he got a great deal. The sticker was $50000 and he got it for $32000. The sad part in only 2 years the trade in value is $25000. He can get the f150 5.0 10 speed 3.73 gears 4wd for $40000.