The "Catch Can" Explained - By Elite Engineering

So this was a system that sprayed the water as you drove?

Yes. Once boost came on, the pressure turned on a pump, putting a small amount of water in the intake. Some people used a mix of methanol and water. We used a mix of acetone and water.

Water, acetone, and methanol injection, as an anti-knock method, was developed before WW2 in supercharged airplane engines. It allowed higher manifold pressures, especially for combat power.

• Like 2

I have caught a good bit of what looks, feels, smells and pour's like pure oil in my last 200 miles. I have caught probably a couple of ounces. I could not even fathom that going into my intake. The Customer service and individualized attention I got from Steve at EE was some of the best I have ever received post sale. I would like to get Blackstone to analyze a sample of the stuff for s***s and kicks

• Like 1

I tend to think the 0-20W oil is too light and making it easier for oil to travel to the intake. ...

A friend of mine that was an engineering director for Honda, use to have a couple questions when engineers provided a position without explanation. "Why do you say that? And, how do you know that?"

When people think about it, they often can explain the first question. The second question is the tough one.

• Like 3

That reminds me, I need to change the oil in the truck. M1 0-20w is in stock in my garage. Interesting...I went to the Mobil 1 site and it has a search engine for finding the recommended oils for my truck. I punched it in and the third oil in the list is M1 AFE 0-30w

100 degrees here today,0-30w would be good for this weather. Seen minus 9 past winter colddd! My trip to work is 6 min but I let truck warm up. I guess my question is do I need a catch can?

Edited by WLC

Here is an article from gmauthority.com with information from Super Chevy that talks about oil in the intake manifold on a Corvette. I realize the engine in the article has a dry sump, but it is basically the same engine used in our trucks. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/09/why-some-c7-corvette-owners-are-finding-oil-in-the-intake/?utm_source=GM+Authority+Newsletter&utm_campaign=38ff23d49b-Mail+Chimp+Daily+Digest+RSS+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ee2a2d8e48-38ff23d49b-312433877

• 1 month later...

I found a bunch of oil in my intake tube when I recently opened up my airbox. Even with my catch can. This was all clean-side blowby.

Needless to say, I got ahold of a RX clean-side separator kit ASAP. I will be installing it this weekend. Video to follow.

yep same here opened my air raid mit today to check the filter and inside the air box was a lot of oil i mean a lot no idea how it got in there on the other side of the filter. maybe i need to get on that clean side game

Yes, do it. I had the same issue until recently. I was going to change my airbox filter and found a nice pool of oil in the tube and even in the airbox. and a bunch of dried oil on the actual filter. You can hear the surprise in my voice when I open up the airbox haha

• Like 3