2500 3500 difference

I have a 15 2500 6.0. Looking to throw my golf cart in the bed when i tow 4 times this year. My payload is 26xx. I will be near payload if not over by 100 or so pounds.

From what i found only difference is

1 extra spring

Gussets on the rear end

I have airlift 5000 which should make up for the extra leaf. Don't care so much about what the sticker says just want to know what makes the payload more for a 3500.

Reason why i didn't buy a 3500 is i drive 90% on the parkways by me and 3500 requires commercial plates. Commercial vehicles are not allowed on parkways.

Thx

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The only difference between the 2500 Duramax and the 3500 is an extra leaf (and also higher load rated tires from the factory) They dont put the upgraded axle in the 2500 gassers (they do have the upgraded axle in the 3500 gasser) and will want to make sure you aren’t over your Rear Axle weight rating.

• Like 1

Two extra top leafs in each leaf pack, heavy top leaf spring stops, gas gets the 11.5" axle (same as diesel), 3500hd use only 18" wheel/tire package due to 124 load index tires (17" and 20" sizes that GM uses are 121 load index and will get lower payload ratings).   

Just checked tires say max load single 3195. So would that be 6190 for rear. By the time i have to do my long haul i will nd tires and gonna upgrade to higher capacity.
Tt tongue weight with wdh hitch is around 1100
Golf cart around 1000
Wife kids n dog around 300
Misc shit say another 200

I have a 15 2500 6.0. Looking to throw my golf cart in the bed when i tow 4 times this year. My payload is 26xx. I will be near payload if not over by 100 or so pounds.

From what i found only difference is
1 extra spring
Gussets on the rear end

I have airlift 5000 which should make up for the extra leaf. Don't care so much about what the sticker says just want to know what makes the payload more for a 3500.

Reason why i didn't buy a 3500 is i drive 90% on the parkways by me and 3500 requires commercial plates. Commercial vehicles are not allowed on parkways.

Thx

I wouldn’t go running to tell the DMV this, but they’ve miscalculated your unladen weight (curb weight).

GVWR 9500# - Payload 26xx# = 6900# curb weight. The Tire and Load Information stickers are calculated at the factory and based on the vehicle’s weight, which takes into account the configuration and options from the factory.

I have a 2500HD, Double Cab 6.5’ bed, WT trim, 2WD and I’m at 6213# curb weight. Crew cab trucks in higher trim levels are at least a few hundred pounds heavier.

All my friends still on Long Island were happy when they could register 1500’s as passenger cars & drive on the Belt and Northern State Pkwy, but they still don’t have HD trucks because they’re all over 6000 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t go running to tell the DMV this, but they’ve miscalculated your unladen weight (curb weight).

GVWR 9500# - Payload 26xx# = 6900# curb weight. The Tire and Load Information stickers are calculated at the factory and based on the vehicle’s weight, which takes into account the configuration and options from the factory.

I have a 2500HD, Double Cab 6.5’ bed, WT trim, 2WD and I’m at 6213# curb weight. Crew cab trucks in higher trim levels are at least a few hundred pounds heavier.

All my friends still on Long Island were happy when they could register 1500’s as passenger cars & drive on the Belt and Northern State Pkwy, but they still don’t have HD trucks because they’re all over 6000 pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes it sux here, from what i am finding out is my reg is wayyyyyy off lol. Hv to find a scale and find out. If my payload is 26xx im gonna be over by 200lbs. Not a big deal.

As stated, for a gasser, the 3500 gets the 11.5 axle, overload springs, and 18" tires/rims (only) vs. the 2500. The rest of the truck is the same. I'm not sure what the 2500 axle is rated for, but with your airlift setup, good trailer brakes, and upgraded tires near max PSI, I think you'll be fine if you're only over payload by a couple hundred pounds.  

• Like 1

The axle tubes/ shaft are different sizes I believe, but the differential I can spot from a mile away. The 10.5, 14 bolt Corporate on the 2500 gasser is more rounded and asymmetrical, almost like a beefed up version of a half ton differential,. The 11.5 AAM found on the diesels/ 3500 is a massive diamond shape with gusset-like supports extending into the axle tubes on the top/ bottom on both sides. First pic is my own truck, a '12 2500 gas, which should be identical to the running gear through at least 2019. Second is a random off the web of a 11.5 AAM that you'd find in the diesels/ 3500

NCM_0834.JPG

3500dif.png

Edited by carkhz316
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, carkhz316 said:

The axle tubes/ shaft are different sizes I believe, but the differential I can spot from a mile away. The 10.5, 14 bolt Corporate on the 2500 gasser is more rounded and asymmetrical, almost like a beefed up version of a half ton differential,. The 11.5 AAM found on the diesels/ 3500 is a massive diamond shape with gusset-like supports extending into the axle tubes on the top/ bottom on both sides. First pic is my own truck, a '12 2500 gas, which should be identical to the running gear through at least 2019. Second is a random off the web of a 11.5 AAM that you'd find in the diesels/ 3500

NCM_0834.JPG

3500dif.png

Thanks for the info. It looks like the axel tubes are the same size.

I could be mis-remembering the info about the 11.5. I know for certain that it's shared between GM and RAM both on their HD's. However, Dodge/ RAM specs theirs from AAM with slightly larger axles shafts and tubes, despite being otherwise almost identical.