Amp Steps

I'm getting some amp steps installed by 4wheel parts as they are doing free install right now with purchase.  Has anyone purchased these from them?  They mentioned a warranty they provide for three years if anything happens to them they replace no questions asked, whereas I saw Amp actually has a warranty but noticed in fine print it said it excludes labor.  It's normally $150 they said they would do 100 bucks.  Would yall do that?  Seems smart vs me ripping them off and sending to AMP if there was ever any issue with them.

Rip off. Any good shop covers warranty  with free labor. It is in the best interest of the dealer. The kids in the shop are paid hourly and if they are standing there cost to shop is the same. 

But to pay $100 to cover a labor cost of $150 is to much. I mean I understand a 300 to 500 on a big screen $4000 TV and that even everything covered and replaced for 4 years and at best buy you can go to any location. 

I'm generally not into buying warranties. The steps are actually really simple to install and work on. The most time consuming part of the installation is probably routing the wiring harness. If you keep them lubricated with silicone a couple times a year I'm not sure where you would run into a problem. Even if you do have an issue it is probably less than 15 minutes to replace a hinge or motor. 

My driver side step had issues retracting a few weeks ago. I sprayed they hinges with the power washer at the car was and let some silicone spray soak in. No issues since. My environment is pretty harsh for power steps too with all the salt we use. 

The real question is how are they installing the wiring? I downloaded the instructions when I thought I wanted these. If you “hard wire” them not using the OB2 it says right there in black and white drill a hole in the driver/ passenger floor to run the wire to the board. I was like F’n right not on my rig. Then I talked to the bid dealer around here about them they said they don’t drill and they stopped installing/selling them cause they are way to problematic and ain’t worth a sh!t anyway...

Might be the best 100 bucks you send if that’s the case?

5 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

The real question is how are they installing the wiring? I downloaded the instructions when I thought I wanted these. If you “hard wire” them not using the OB2 it says right there in black and white drill a hole in the driver/ passenger floor to run the wire to the board. I was like F’n right not on my rig. Then I talked to the bid dealer around here about them they said they don’t drill and they stopped installing/selling them cause they are way to problematic and ain’t worth a sh!t anyway...

Might be the best 100 bucks you send if that’s the case?

No matter if you hardwire them or run them through the OBD2 you still have to drill a hole. You don’t actually drill it in the metal portion of the floor, there are tons of inserts all over your cab floor that you can drill through and seal with silicone it’s extremely easy to do and pretty much with any type of lighting accessory or power or anything outside your vehicle that you want to run inside your vehicle you’re going to have to drill a hole somewhere.  And I recently put the amp steps on my truck because of how impressive they are and how many guys I know personally that have ran them for three, four, five years on their trucks and never add any problems.  They are definitely worth the purchase if you can afford them but I wouldn’t be paying for any warranty. They are extremely easy to take on and off  especially if the wiring is already done, that’s why they’re doing the installation for free. 

Edited by CovetedStyle
  • Like 2