Looking in to a 2017 Sierra - What to look out for/other suggestions

Hi everyone,

As the subject states, I'm looking into purchasing my first pickup truck and have stumbled across what seems to be a good truck/deal. Link below. I wanted to get the forums thoughts on this truck and what you guys like about your Sierras/Silverados vs Rams/F150/Tundras. I'm looking to use it mainly for purposed of the bed space for lugging construction equipment/materials. Looking to have this as my daily driver as well so I am looking for leather and some bells and whistles. 

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/755241724/overview/

Thanks everyone. I look forward to joining the truck community.

Also, apologies if this info/thread is elsewhere. I tried searching with no luck.

Edited by PickUpNoobie

You could honestly probably get in a brand new, slightly lower trim model than that (LT+ with leather) for the same price with all the incentives they are giving out to try to clear the 2018's. I was looking at a used 2008 SLT when I bought my 2010 SLT, they wanted $35,000 for the used truck with 15,000 miles. I ended up in a brand new 2010 SLT for $39,000 (stickered at $50,000). The loan was actually cheaper too as the interest rate was 1.9% for the new truck vs. the 6% they would have charged to finance the use truck. Do the math on a few different options. Another point is if someone is already trading a 2017 in, it is likely it had some issues making the owner trade it in, which may or may not have been addressed. Test it for the "Chevy Shake" that random examples of these trucks had, as mentioned by Brad. I bought a used 2014 WT for my winter beater in 2015, the truck is a shaker and had a random transmission glitch the dealer could not figure out (but I did). You don't want a shaker. Thoroughly test drive these trucks before buying, 100-200 mile test drive on varying road surfaces. 

I would suggest to go into it with an open mind. Don’t have a bunch of fears already in your mind about what could go wrong. If the truck is still under warranty, use it if you need too. Drive it, maybe see if you can do an overnight demo, put some miles on, see how good it looks in your driveway, and then buy it if you like it?  

35 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

You could honestly probably get in a brand new, slightly lower trim model than that (LT+ with leather) for the same price with all the incentives they are giving out to try to clear the 2018's. I was looking at a used 2008 SLT when I bought my 2010 SLT, they wanted $35,000 for the used truck with 15,000 miles. I ended up in a brand new 2010 SLT for $39,000 (stickered at $50,000). The loan was actually cheaper too as the interest rate was 1.9% for the new truck vs. the 6% they would have charged to finance the use truck. Do the math on a few different options. Another point is if someone is already trading a 2017 in, it is likely it had some issues making the owner trade it in, which may or may not have been addressed. Test it for the "Chevy Shake" that random examples of these trucks had, as mentioned by Brad. I bought a used 2014 WT for my winter beater in 2015, the truck is a shaker and had a random transmission glitch the dealer could not figure out (but I did). You don't want a shaker. Thoroughly test drive these trucks before buying, 100-200 mile test drive on varying road surfaces. 

Good point, I'll definitely take that into account and not limit my options. Definitely don't want a shaker. Seems like you like your Sierra's by your sig. Are you a loyal GMC guy or you just don't like the other trucks out there? Thanks again for your input.

32 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

I would suggest to go into it with an open mind. Don’t have a bunch of fears already in your mind about what could go wrong. If the truck is still under warranty, use it if you need too. Drive it, maybe see if you can do an overnight demo, put some miles on, see how good it looks in your driveway, and then buy it if you like it?  

Not really fears of what could go wrong. I'm currently on my second Audi A4 and these beautiful things can be some high maintenance bitches. I'm not afraid of performing routine maintenance/repairs to keep the truck running smoothly but I just don't know these trucks well enough/at all to keep certain issues in mind that I'll have to address down the road.

2018 leftovers are that price. That's too much for a two year old truck with 24,000 miles. I always have to question why someone would get rid of it with that few miles unless something was wrong with it. Plus with a new one you get a full warranty. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PickUpNoobie said:

Good point, I'll definitely take that into account and not limit my options. Definitely don't want a shaker. Seems like you like your Sierra's by your sig. Are you a loyal GMC guy or you just don't like the other trucks out there? Thanks again for your input.

Our dealer sells both Chev and GMC. If I need a truck for my employees, I buy Silverado, for myself I buy Sierra and usually hand them down to the guys. My family all drives Ford's, I bought my first used truck when I was 16, a GMC, pretty much stayed with them since. My K2 has been the most problematic truck I have ever owned from GMC, but overall the most comfortable, quiet, solid, and best looking. The ride, the power, the comfort and looks are all better than my previous ones, but all my other ones were more reliable. My 2010 I had, never went to the shop once in 5 years, not for a single thing, no recalls, no problems. Not too many Ford or Ram owners can say the same. My new one has been there 3 times since 2015, first a torque converter recall before I even took delivery, then I had a strange shutter that they could not reproduce (transmission), then eventually a delayed reverse shift that lead to a transmission replacement. Outside the TCM tuning and 8L90e issues, overall it has been great. Before I bought my 2018 2500, I did take a 6.2L F250 for a ride but it didn't overly impress me, had less features than the Sierra I bought, it was also priced $3,000 higher with less warranty and a higher interest rate. It's not that I don't give the others a chance, it's just their products haven't wowed me enough to make a change. 

Also, I work as a service provider to my local dealer for heavy equipment contracting work. They scratch my back, I scratch theirs, so you can call it a little biased, but I wont lie to people about how I feel about GM products or the issues I have had with them. My brothers 2018 F150 has had to "fire" recalls already and he has had it since October, seatbelt and block heater can both start fires. Issues are not exclusive with a specific brand, you will have something go wrong with all products eventually. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

2018 leftovers are that price. That's too much for a two year old truck with 24,000 miles. I always have to question why someone would get rid of it with that few miles unless something was wrong with it. Plus with a new one you get a full warranty. 

2018 SLT Premiums are $42-44k at Laura GMC.  Not $34k.

35 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Our dealer sells both Chev and GMC. If I need a truck for my employees, I buy Silverado, for myself I buy Sierra and usually hand them down to the guys. My family all drives Ford's, I bought my first used truck when I was 16, a GMC, pretty much stayed with them since. My K2 has been the most problematic truck I have ever owned from GMC, but overall the most comfortable, quiet, solid, and best looking. The ride, the power, the comfort and looks are all better than my previous ones, but all my other ones were more reliable. My 2010 I had, never went to the shop once in 5 years, not for a single thing, no recalls, no problems. Not too many Ford or Ram owners can say the same. My new one has been there 3 times since 2015, first a torque converter recall before I even took delivery, then I had a strange shutter that they could not reproduce (transmission), then eventually a delayed reverse shift that lead to a transmission replacement. Outside the TCM tuning and 8L90e issues, overall it has been great. Before I bought my 2018 2500, I did take a 6.2L F250 for a ride but it didn't overly impress me, had less features than the Sierra I bought, it was also priced $3,000 higher with less warranty and a higher interest rate. It's not that I don't give the others a chance, it's just their products haven't wowed me enough to make a change. 

Also, I work as a service provider to my local dealer for heavy equipment contracting work. They scratch my back, I scratch theirs, so you can call it a little biased, but I wont lie to people about how I feel about GM products or the issues I have had with them. My brothers 2018 F150 has had to "fire" recalls already and he has had it since October, seatbelt and block heater can both start fires. Issues are not exclusive with a specific brand, you will have something go wrong with all products eventually. 

Fair enough. I appreciate the honest feedback. These trucks look really nice, and seem to be able to do a lot of heavy duty stuff too, that's why I'm leaning towards them.

6 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

2018 SLT Premiums are $42-44k at Laura GMC.  Not $34k.

Also, I'm not crazy about buying a brand new car. 2018 Sierra 1500's I'm seeing in my area are going for 58-62K (give or take a few thousand). Cars in general depreciate so much as soon as they leave the lot. I'm happy buying a 2 year old car with low miles specifically for that reason.