4x4 to AWD conversion

I had no clue denialis were AWD and not selective 4x4

question, what is the difference from my”Auto” 4x4 Button I never use to the Denali AWD setup?

Nothing. Auto and AWD are in effect the same thing on trucks with additional Low and High modes. AWD is usually used on vehicles that don't have any 2wd mode. Both systems allow for "dry pavement" driving by using a clutch to allow for wheel speed differences from front to back (when they can't slip on the road surface itself). 

Even though it describes the Furd system, as i understand it, the modes in GM trucks are similar:

An acquaintance  had a 2500 HD (don't remember if it was a Chevy or GMC) that had the following settings.

2 Hi

Auto

4 Hi

4 Lo

I wish my 2018 3500 HD had the same set up. It would be nice to have the Auto setting for those hays when full 4x4 isn't needed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I forgot to mention that the 2500 I mentioned with the 4 Auto setting was a gasser, not a diesel. I understand the auto setting was limited to gas versions of the HD.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am sure this guy's 2500 had the 4-Auto option as I was thinking of buying it before I bought my original 2500 Diesel.

Edited by grandpalarry777

I would suspect that to do this, you need a MP3024HD transfer case. Not sure if you could get these from the factory on Silverado HD, but I believe they came on Suburban HDs...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2020 is the first year it will be available in the 2500/3500 (High Country) trucks according to GM engineers debuting the new 2020 HD trucks so I don't know how it could have been in a 2500 prior.  I suppose anything is possible but since an AUTO was never available in a 2500, don't know where you will find HD parts to convert it and it would likely be costly to accomplish that it would not be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1405&v=bLq5MZnlyVc

skip to 20:30

Edited by elcamino

On 2/12/2019 at 4:37 AM, elcamino said:

2020 is the first year it will be available in the 2500/3500 (High Country) trucks according to GM engineers debuting the new 2020 HD trucks so I don't know how it could have been in a 2500 prior.  I suppose anything is possible but since an AUTO was never available in a 2500, don't know where you will find HD parts to convert it and it would likely be costly to accomplish that it would not be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1405&v=bLq5MZnlyVc

skip to 20:30

I forgot to mention that the 2500 I mentioned with the 4 Auto setting was a gasser, not a diesel. I understand the auto setting was limited to gas versions of the HD.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:00 AM, grandpalarry777 said:

An acquaintance  had a 2500 HD (don't remember if it was a Chevy or GMC) that had the following settings.

2 Hi

Auto

4 Hi

4 Lo

I wish my 2018 3500 HD had the same set up. It would be nice to have the Auto setting for those hays when full 4x4 isn't needed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Are you sure about that? I don't think the Auto transfer case has ever been offered on a 2500HD, regardless of gas or diesel. The only exception I can think of would be the light duty 2500/1500HD from the early 2000's. Those had a unique drivetrain/chassis setup. 

I have not been able to find any reference to the active transfer case (w/AUTO) ever offered in a K2500HD,  be is gas or diesel.   They did have an electric shift option with a dash switch that is similar but there was no AUTO feature.   Lots believed that if they had the push button dash switch they had a Automatic Transfer case.

Edited by elcamino

I have not been able to find any reference to the active transfer case (w/AUTO) ever offered in a K2500HD,  be is gas or diesel.   They did have an electric shift option with a dash switch that is similar but there was no AUTO feature.   Lots believed that if they had the push button dash switch they had a Automatic Transfer case.

The 2020s will have auto mode :)

I believe the suburban 2500 only had the 2wd-4wd-4lo t-cases, no awd option.  2013 was the last year for the 3/4 ton suburban, and GM never made a 3500 suburban best to my knowledge unless it was some special order GSA fleet option.

To answer the OP, depends on what year your truck is and the transmission you have and how deep your pockets are.  Assuming you have a 4L80E/6L80E you can use the AWD case from either a Silvarado SS or Escalade respectively, they should physically fit as in bolting up and having the correct front output. You will most likely have to modify your drive shafts if there is any variations in the output lengths on the cases, you may also need to swap slip yokes/u-joints/CV joints due to different sizes.

You will have issues is the getting the Trans to communicate with the ECM due to differences in the stability program between standard selectable t cases and awd  cases, but I think with programming, reflashing and an AWD switch, it can be over come.

What I do not know is, if the VSS is compatible between the the various vehicles. Depending on years of components used and original platform they can from, some vehicles have the VSS in the tcase out put, some have them in the rear diff. 

In the end and this is just my opinion, you will be swapping to an arguably weaker t-case and will probably effect the towing/payload capacity. Your gas mileage will decrease in awd as opposed to 2wd. It is going to be pricey.